• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I pay taxes for Getaways or Bonus Week use?

jhm40cu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I can understand that you don't pay taxes (like hotel tax, TOT) if you stay in your home resort since you fractionally own the property.

But what if I stay in TS resort using Getaways or Bonus week? Do I have to pay taxes just like you stay in a hotel? :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never been charged tax by the resort on any Extra Vacation I've taken through RCI.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
II does charge taxes on Getaways, but whether tax is due or not depends on the location. Some states charge it, others don't.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have paid taxes for II getaways in Floriday.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked an Extra Vacation with RCI for Worldmark Indio this past May. We paid taxes on it.

Dori

Marvin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked an Extra Vacation with RCI for Worldmark Indio this past May. We paid taxes on it.

Dori

The big question is did you give extra money to RCI, or did they really pass the tax that they collected on to the proper place???

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The big question is did you give extra money to RCI, or did they really pass the tax that they collected on to the proper place???

If it was noted as tax on the receipt or confirmation, then it would be illegal for RCI to retain those funds.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
The taxes were paid to RCI, just added on to the cost of the vacation.

Dori

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our Orlando Accommodations Certificates have a tax of $30 for a 1 bedroom, $50 for a two bedroom. We pay those taxes to II. I don't know if they pass them on, but it would be difficult for a state to regulate those taxes.

Marvin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it was noted as tax on the receipt or confirmation, then it would be illegal for RCI to retain those funds.

And we all know that RCI does no wrong, besides, being "illegal" means no one does it!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
And we all know that RCI does no wrong, besides, being "illegal" means no one does it!!

Its one thing to do wrong with the customers, however when it comes to the tax man I think they are smarter than that.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had to pay taxes for extra vacations, bonus weeks, etc. to RCI. They didn't always add the taxes, but a few years ago they started doing it.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
If It's Like A Rental, They Charge Tax. (No Tax -- Yet -- On Exchange Fees.)

I have had to pay taxes for extra vacations, bonus weeks, etc. to RCI. They didn't always add the taxes, but a few years ago they started doing it.
Ditto Last Call reservations.

So far, no taxes on exchange fees, even 9,000-point Instant Exchange reservations.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​