• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I Need a Rental Car in Paris?

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I extended our travel package to Paris Marriott Hotel Champs-Elysses another 3 days. So, we will be staying a total of 10 days. Yeah! Do I need to rent a car? I know it is around 20 miles from the airport to Paris.

Also, the Marriott rep told me that I did not need an e-certificate because everything was done electronically. I received an e-mail reservation confirmation. It has printed on it only the last four digits of my Reward certificate number. Also, printed on it is "no paper certificate is required at the time of check-in." I am going to take the reservation confirmation with me on our trip. Is this all the paperwork I need?

clivemark

Reaction score
If you just want to stay in Paris itself then the local transport is excellent and cheap. Just buy travel cards - 3,7 or 10days one and you'll be able to use all the transport modes (trams, overground and buses) in the Paris zones.

You will love it...

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Take the paperwork with you - should be all you need. I've never rented a car in Paris ... not even sure if the Marriott CE has a parking lot ... but taxi and bus transportation is just outside the door. Paris is not a huge city actually - very compressed IMO compared to many of our cities. You could use a car if you drove to Cannes from Paris perhaps, but you can also take very speedy trains for the further out places.

Brian

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
CE does charge over $30 Euros per day for parking, so i assume they allow for parking. maybe valet only?

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Don't rent a car - walk, subways,trains or taxis - all are convenient, fast and you will also have opportunities to live the French life!

Even if you want to go to Versailles (outside paris) take a quick and easy train ride

It is an old European city, don't try to drive - take a taxi round the Eiffel tower for an "interesting" French driving experience

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walk and walk and walk some more.
Paris is a great walking city
Also - that way when you inject all that butter into your arteries (3 pastries a day is a must) you can walk it off and not gain weight LOL

Seriously, walking is the best way to see Paris

Laraine

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walk and walk and walk some more.
Paris is a great walking city
Also - that way when you inject all that butter into your arteries (3 pastries a day is a must) you can walk it off and not gain weight LOL

Seriously, walking is the best way to see Paris

Laraine
Thank you for all the information. I enjoy walking. So, it will be great. I can't wait to feast on those pastries! Yum.:whoopie:

Bill4728

Reaction score
It not that you don't need a car, but having a car in Paris can be a real problem. The trafiic is terrible, parking is difficult and the streets, other than the main blvds are very narrow.

We rented a car to get out of Paris to Normandy. Even though it took 10 minutes on the subway to get from the hotel to the car rental place, it took 1/2 hour to drive back to the hotel and it was a nightmare. If I had to do it again, I'd take a train to a village outside of town and rent the car there.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
It not that you don't need a car, but having a car in Paris can be a real problem. The trafiic is terrible, parking is difficult and the streets, other than the main blvds are very narrow.

We rented a car to get out of Paris to Normandy. Even though it took 10 minutes on the subway to get from the hotel to the car rental place, it took 1/2 hour to drive back to the hotel and it was a nightmare. If I had to do it again, I'd take a train to a village outside of town and rent the car there.

We had the exact same experience renting from and returning to Paris after our tour of the countryside. Next time, I'll take public transportation to the airport and rent & return a car there. We entered Paris during rush hour...what a nightmare!

Ingrid

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I assume this is basic, but consider the fact there are no English roadsigns in France ... makes driving even more difficult.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I assume this is basic, but consider the fact there are no English roadsigns in France ... makes driving even more difficult.

We've never found this to be a problem having rented cars in numerous non-English speaking (developed) countries. Our philosophy is if in the big city with good public transportation, we use that. In the countryside, we'll rent a car.

The only problem we ran into was in Germany where we got a parking ticket because we couldn't understand the instructions!

Ingrid

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO! Don't rent a car! The metro system and the RER (trains) can get you anywhere you want to go. Just get a weekly pass that will allow you use the bus, RER and metro system and you'll be set.

Just be careful about pickpocketers in the metro!

mecllap

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case you need another NO vote on car rental, I vote no. The traffic and driving conditions in Paris are insane!!!!!
Use the metro and walk. And do be very careful about pickpockets -- if someone approaches you with a lost item (ring or something) -- do not get close to them. Keep stuff inside your clothes (not in a purse or the usual pockets).

Not sure about your certificate question -- I expect it's fine -- you will likely need to show your passport when you check in.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Walk and enjoy the sights and take the metro around the city if walking becomes too much for you. Train access to outside areas (like Versailles, etc.) is easy.

walumb01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the public transportation available into the city from the Marriott timeshare in Bailly-Romainvilliers, France (Disney)

Bill4728

Reaction score
Is the public transportation available into the city from the Marriott timeshare in Bailly-Romainvilliers, France (Disney)

From what I've read there is a train which runs between Euro Disney area and the city. But I've heard that you likely will want to taxi to the TS resort from the train station.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
so, what are the options to get from the airport (CDG) to Marriott's CE ?

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never stayed at that hotel, but in general, a few options...

1. taxi cab

2. Airport shuttle bus - I think there's 2: Roisseybus to Opera area then take a taxi from there to the hotel. It's a very busy area so there'll be a million taxi's around. The other airport bus is the Air France bus. I believe there's one that goes to the Arc de Triomphe which is within walking distance of the Marriott CE.

3. RER (train) from the airport to a city metro station, then take a taxi or metro to the hotel. It is this train, RER, that you take to get to Euro Disney.

If it's your first time to Paris, I would suggest a taxi straight to your hotel. I think it should not cost more than 60 euro. If you arrive at night it's more. Paris has lots of great transportation options.

vincenzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never stayed at that hotel, but in general, a few options...

1. taxi cab

2. Airport shuttle bus - I think there's 2: Roisseybus to Opera area then take a taxi from there to the hotel. It's a very busy area so there'll be a million taxi's around. The other airport bus is the Air France bus. I believe there's one that goes to the Arc de Triomphe which is within walking distance of the Marriott CE.

3. RER (train) from the airport to a city metro station, then take a taxi or metro to the hotel. It is this train, RER, that you take to get to Euro Disney.

If it's your first time to Paris, I would suggest a taxi straight to your hotel. I think it should not cost more than 60 euro. If you arrive at night it's more. Paris has lots of great transportation options.

Thank you for breaking it down. Since it is our first time in Paris, I think we will take a taxi.

Yesterday, I received 3 travel books on Paris that I ordered from Amazon. I have a lot of reading to do between now and July. And, I have a lot of information to assimilate. Even though I studied French in high school and college, there are only a few phrases that I can remember. I am still trying to correctly pronounce Champs-Elysees .:D

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks. we will likely take the cab (what an expensive cab ride!)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thank you for breaking it down. Since it is our first time in Paris, I think we will take a taxi.

Yesterday, I received 3 travel books on Paris that I ordered from Amazon. I have a lot of reading to do between now and July. And, I have a lot of information to assimilate. Even though I studied French in high school and college, there are only a few phrases that I can remember. I am still trying to correctly pronounce Champs-Elysees .:D

Well, the good thing is that most places you go you can find someone who speaks English :) .

A funny story- when we were in Paris several years ago our teenage daughter, who was taking French in HS at the time, developed a rather bad conjunctivitis. So, my husband and daughter went to a pharmacy and my husband (who is a physician) told her what to ask for. There she is proudly trying to ask the pharmacist for am antibiotic drop for her eye, but evidently wasn't doing such a good job. Finally, the pharmacist interrupted her and asked: "Do you speak English?" :D Although her ego was a bit deflated at the time, their English conversation went very smoothly.