• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do credit card travel benefits affect your decision?

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I have a trip coming up that was not purchased using one of my credit cards. This brought me to wondering: "What travel insurance benefits do my various cards offer?" What I found surprised me. The one card that I use the most, American Express Delta Platinum, because of the miles it offers provides the least insurance benefits.

So my question is: "How do you decide which card to use when making travel plans?" Do you use the one that gives you the most points/miles or the one that provides the best insurance coverage for things like Lost Baggage, Trip Delay/Cancel, Rental Car Insurance, etc?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No. For international trips I purchase an inexpensive travel insurance policy to cover everything other than direct costs. I don’t worry about the rest.

FWIW, I once filed a claim on a cc travel policy after a flight delay. The time to file the report was excessive, and ultimately I was able to get the airline to pay and I simply ignored the cc after that.

I pay for trips on whichever cc is most appropriate at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, Chase Sapphire offers both good rewards and insurance for travel.
So I rely on it for anything travel-related, but another card for non-travel.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
No. For international trips I purchase an inexpensive travel insurance policy to cover everything other than direct costs. I don’t worry about the rest.

FWIW, I once filed a claim on a cc travel policy after a flight delay. The time to file the report was excessive, and ultimately I was able to get the airline to pay and I simply ignored the cc after that.

I pay for trips on whichever cc is most appropriate at the time.

Interesting. Thankfully I've never had to file a claim. I did price a single trip plan from Allianz (there was no annual plan available for me) and the cost would be over $150. The coverage offered is the same as what's offered for free from my Citi American Airlines card. Baggage Delay/Loss, Trip Delay/Cancellation/Interruption, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, and Worldwide AD&D.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Interesting. Thankfully I've never had to file a claim. I did price a single trip plan from Allianz (there was no annual plan available for me) and the cost would be over $150. The coverage offered is the same as what's offered for free from my Citi American Airlines card. Baggage Delay/Loss, Trip Delay/Cancellation/Interruption, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, and Worldwide AD&D.

I pay $52 for travel insurance per trip, which includes a higher medical and evacuation coverage than annual plans, along with being primary medical coverage. I do not insure the trip cost, and that’s why it is so affordable. This plan includes the normal delay coverages, etc. Auto insurance is separate, and I’ve found credit card premium coverage from AMEX ($18 per rental for me, as I’m in California) is the best for most situations other than the “I” countries and Australia.

That said, I doubt your credit card coverages are as significant as those provided with even a cheap travel policy. It’s not just the type of coverage but the amount which should concern you. When I last looked at my AA plat cc I was disappointed with its coverage limits.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
+1 for Chase Sapphire. Primary car rental insurance (even in Ireland now), adequate cancellation and interruption, reward points as good as my main non-Chase card.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely influenced by benefits offered by credit card companies. I do buy a multi-trip medical and evacation only coverage each year to cover overseas travel.

I use Chase Sapphire Reserve for all non-Marriott/Vistana travel bookings because of secondary coverage of trip cancellation/interruption and primary collision coverage for car rentals. I filed with them for a medical visit on a cruise last year and it was paid without issue. This April we had to cancel an expensive cruise due to a medical situation 3 days before we were set to leave. They have been going back and forth with me on the claim and so far I am unimpressed. I called their claims call center today and I was told that no other documentation is needed from me and the adjuster is contacting various carriers to confirm the terms and status of the cancelled bookings to substantiate the documentation which I had submitted.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
+1 for Chase Sapphire. Primary car rental insurance (even in Ireland now)

Nice! I’ve been meaning to apply for this card...auto rentals are cheap in Ireland without the insurance.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
I pay $52 for travel insurance per trip, which includes a higher medical and evacuation coverage than annual plans, along with being primary medical coverage. I do not insure the trip cost, and that’s why it is so affordable. This plan includes the normal delay coverages, etc. Auto insurance is separate, and I’ve found credit card premium coverage from AMEX ($18 per rental for me, as I’m in California) is the best for most situations other than the “I” countries and Australia.

That said, I doubt your credit card coverages are as significant as those provided with even a cheap travel policy. It’s not just the type of coverage but the amount which should concern you. When I last looked at my AA plat cc I was disappointed with its coverage limits.

The limits didn't seem to be out of line to me. For luggage $100 for 6 hr delay, $2,000 per person per bag per trip for lost luggage. Trip delay $500 per person. Trip cancellation $5,000 per person. Car Rental up to $50,000. And, AD&D up to $500,000 per person for an accident on a common carrier.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chase Sapphire Reserve covers $10K per person for trip cancellation. TUG members have reported getting $20K compensation for 2 for a cancelled cruise. It is definitely substantial for free coverage.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, especially for international travel. We just went to Australia and had a delayed baggage issue with Fiji Air. I filed a claim with Fiji and Chase insurance carrier, since Chase asks if you filed a claim with the airlines. I also thought that was appropriate, since Fiji is responsible. Hopefully Fiji covers the cost of essential items we had to buy during the delay period, but if not I have Chase to fall back on. I haven’t heard back yet but am hoping for the best.

And like someone else mentioned, the rewards with Chase are very good too.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Trip cancellation is of little importance to me when it comes to travel insurance. I am most concerned with medical and evac. Do any credit cards offer this type of insurance as a benefit?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip cancellation is of little importance to me when it comes to travel insurance. I am most concerned with medical and evac. Do any credit cards offer this type of insurance as a benefit?
Chase Sapphire Reserve covers limited amount. I have been buying GeoBlue Trekker multi-trip plan every year to provide medical and evacuation coverage when travelling internationally.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Exactly, these are my primary concerns as well which is why I buy a separate policy. I’m not too concerned about travel delays, and a minor coverage for that is typically sufficient.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally choose based on points/value. At the beginning of the calendar year, I use my Delta card until I hit the MQD waiver/first MQM bonus awarded. After that I switch to whatever (I think) has the best return on an individual purchase. The insurance issues are secondary for me, as I almost always self-insure except for e.g. a cruise, in which case I buy something. I probably won't be doing that anymore, as I did not realize how good the Sapphire coverage was (and I would have used that anyway).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't have points type cards, only cash back cards. The credit card I use has travel insurance, including trip cancellation up to $1500 only. The other cards I have offer zippo.

So- I use that card for vacations and purchase travel insurance through Generali or whatever other company. I will usually shop the insurance.

Generali I use for our timeshares which we drive to- since it does cover the maintenance fees. Our credit card insurance and most other travel insurances do not.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I’m really concerned about travel benefits I purchase travel insurance. I almost always use my Costco card because of the cash back. But when I am actually in a foreign country I use a card that has “no transaction fee.” That’s usually a top priority.