• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DIY Masks - What are the best materials

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
My DIL is making them for her veterinarian workers, but she can’t find any elastic. My daughter came up,with the idea of using an elastic ponytailers.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter has been furloughed from the hospital. She’s a PACU nurse on contract. Since surgeries are down to the most urgent all hours are being given to full time employees. I’m not sad about this but she is frustrated.

One of her nurse friends said her ears were breaking down from the continual use of face masks. DD bought a bunch of stretchy headbands online, buttons and nylon thread. She sewed them up for her hospital and the local army hospital.
Something like this:

geekette

Reaction score
Did anyone see the masks for the deaf? Clear at the mouth for lip reading. Brilliant! I think the clear vinyl I have is too heavy (hot) but maybe not.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yes!

.......still exploring the time capsule here. ....... It seems it was still 1970-1975 in Mom's cedar closet. Running across the leftover fabrics from some memorable clothing made for me that I had to wear as a child. ....

Vintage
Retro Chic
Brady Bunch Style ( 1969-74)

——-add a title / help Geekette - name her masks .

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you somehow incorporate pieces of AC filters, the high quality ones that are supposed to filter out bacteria and virus?

I saw a YouTube hack to RIP these apart for the fabric. So that is what I will do today.

From what I gather, you can use bias tape, 1/4 inch elastic, or hair ties as a real hack.

I've watched the bias tape videos which make it look within my pay grade. But now with my new plan to have a pocket for a hepa filter, I have to make adjustments to that plan. It also called for inserting floral wire at the top though I've seen it with pipe cleaners.

My husband doesn't like my choice of prints. Apparently Mickey Mouse, airplanes, and passport stamps just aren't his cup of tea.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a post that bungee cords are full of elastic. It showed a cut-open bungee cord and inside were many strips of elastic, all bunched tightly together but they looked like they could be separated. Has anyone tried this?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Someone posted, maybe on another thread, about using floral wire on the top edge.
That's a great idea. We're packrats, so have a little bit of everything around.

DH pulled out an old flat quilted mattress pad which I had given him to use as a spread cloth for painting & chores etc around the house.
He hadn't used it yet, so all we did was wash and bleach it. Will be able make quite a few masks
out of it, and it's thick enough to provide extra filtering. Planning on prototyping some this weekend.
gotta find a good pattern. And dig thru my sewing closet for elastic and bias tape. Gotta clear a pathway to the closet first ;)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just made my first two using this guide: https://www.gfclinic.com/approved-pattern-info-for-homemade-masks/
They had a very user friendly video - although check the printed information because they have updated some of the measurements. This is for a pleated mask with a pocket for a filter plus a fitted nose (I used pipe cleaners). I am going to be making tons of these because apparently I have a lot of non-sewing friends and family. Luckily I have a stash of old fabric, mostly Hawaiian prints, that I have hung onto for years. I knew that it would come in handy someday!! I never considered a pandemic, but here we are.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Multiple news sources now reporting that CDC and White House recommending use of masks for ALL people when they leave their homes. Masks may be cloth.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What I haven't figured out is how to stop the mask from fogging my glasses even with a pipe cleaner. Ideas?

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I folded a handkerchief that we were given at rally for a cure and cut the top off the ankle of an old pair of socks for elastic and made a mask for myself.
I also found a pair of cloths that were given out at a golf outing to wet down when it is hot. I folded them and used hair ties to loop over the ears.
I don’t have a sewing machine here and I am not going shopping for supplies, just making do. I can insert a paper towel as a filter in the masks and they are washable

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw some made from shop paper towers, straitened paper clip for nose grip and rubber bands stapled on ends

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went in my garbage can and dug out three bras I just discarded. There has to be some parts that can be used on a mask. Also saw someone was cutting ace bandages in strips for elastic or ties

Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know! Yesterday I had to make a necessities run to Walmart. I was actually surprised how "not busy" it was but I busted through there as fast as I could. My prescription sunglasses were seriously fogging up - I leave them on even when I'm in a store because I hate having to carry 2 pairs of glasses. I'm sure I looked really pretty scary with my mask and my sunglasses which are polarized. I must look harmless enough because no one stopped me.

What I haven't figured out is how to stop the mask from fogging my glasses even with a pipe cleaner. Ideas?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The face mask you own already

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
May not be the best, but you may have these items on hand.

How to turn a bandana and two rubber bands into a face mask:

You can still get rubber bands from Amazon

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score