• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ditch These 10 Devices in 2012

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ten? I only see nine, one slide was an advertisement.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me, too. Something with Warren's mugshot on it. Now what's that missing tenth thing we should ditch, or is it Warren? :p

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Ten? I only see nine, one slide was an advertisement.

1. The Flip Cam

2. The Portable DVD Player

3. Flash Drives

4. GPS Devices for your car

5. The (small) Digital Camera

6. The Fax Machine

7. Netbooks

8. CD Player

9. Voice Recorders

10. PDA

On the Slide Number you chose that gave you the advertisement which blocked the item, click the small x in the upper corner of the add. If the Ad doesn't disappear, click to the next slide, then go back to the slide with the Ad
which should now be gone.

Richard

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Except for fax machines, PDA and a flash drive or two. I never owned these things. I call myself a techno-igno.

Now, I find attorneys that still send me faxes maddening! Who does that? Why can't they just send a PDF file. Faxes drive me crazy.

elaine

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
So many of these items have been replaced by a smart phone.

I have stayed away from those, I have little use for them and don't want to pay about $50/mth to have one. A simple phone only works for me, as does a netbook at times.

The GPS unit also may hang around for users like me but do agree with the tone of the article, I probably won't be buying another flash drive item for instance and the fax has been replaced a long time ago with a scan and email capability.

I think some items will stay on and then gradually go.

I wouldn't be buying shares however in any Company selling these products.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Funny thing is that faxes are considered more secure than e-mails, and I think they'll be around for the short term at least. I know in the medical field faxes with a cover sheet are acceptable while e-mails can only be through special security sites.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must be old, but will hold on and use some of these as long as I can!

bccash63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 'dumb' phone not a SMART phone:D so will be hanging onto my gps. dawn

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Im getting old, but I dont care for the multi function smart phones and tablets.....and for the same reason I prefer listining to a performance by a full orchestra over a one man band.. I still prefer several single purpose devices over the multi purpose smart phone. And dont tell me how good you are at multi tasking...all that means is that you are doing a lousy job at several things at the same time

I have a camera, a phone, a flash drive and a cd player (in the car) and like lawyers and doctors we real estate agents still use faxes. And my next digital purchase will be a notebook, rather than a smart phone or a tablet.

persia

Reaction score
Changing the name from Facsimile machine to fax machine doesn't change the fact that it's World War 2 era technology, I'm glad to see it go away.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call me a luddite, but I still love my netbook and had to replace one recently. It's getting hard to find the smallest fastest kind w/long battery life, but I managed. Maybe sometime I'll want a tablet as well, but not as a substitute, they really have different primary uses. For instance I can't imagine using a tablet for lots of typing or for having multiple tabs and browsers open, using frequent copy and paste, and some Windows programs I need. If you have to add a keyboard, what's the diff, really, other than higher cost, and maybe fewer things I need?

Then again, I haven't loved my smart phone either - except as a tether for my netbook where I can't get wifi. :)

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carrying a portable keyboard and a tablet doesn't compare to the portability of an all in one device like my netbook...i'm going to stick with it for awhile

Same with my hang on the windshield GPS, i've tried the android app for GPS, its just not as convenient and not something i see converting to anytime soon

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The article obviously omits a few points. Such as:

Most smartphone GPS solutions do not work as well nor are they as easy to use as a dedicated device.

Smartphone camera performance is not anywhere close to that of a discrete camera.

A tablet with a keyboard is no more practical than a netbook.

The "cloud" doesn't do anyone any good if they can't access it.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I still have an 8 track player, a cassette player, and a VHS. WHY? I have absolutely NO IDEA. Haven't used them in YEARS. I guess I am a pack-rat.

L

laurac260

get rid of your fax machine? Try asking your kid's pediatrician to e-mail you a pdf of your kids annual exam form, you know the one that the state requires the school to require you to require your doctor to fill out so you can give it to the school so the school can tell the state that your kid went to the doctor so they can go to the school. Try asking the receptionist to scan in, convert to pdf form, and e-mail you THAT form.:doh:

I've sent things in pdf format before that took days longer to be found, accessed, downloaded, printed, etc, etc, as it took to just send an "old fashioned" fax and be done with it. The technology may be there to get rid of the fax machine, but until everyone is on board with it, I'll keep my machine (which is also my printer and scanner as well).

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For receiving faxes only, I think the fax machine is obsolete. You can use one of plenty of online services to receive your faxes. Now that many PCs don't have modems and are no longer connected to land line telephone, that fax software is no longer of any use and probably not even available any more.

For sending faxes, I think a fax machine still holds relevance. It is far easier to use a fax machine to send a document instead of scanning, saving, sending. Sending via a machine is a one step process.