• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dissolving a Florida Timeshare?

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside @Granby Ranch,
Landmark Holiday Beach-PCB,
Inverness @ New Braunfels
We have been owners at the Summit in Panama City Beach for the last 12 years. We hold a deeded week at the resort. Of the 200 units in the building, only 32 are timeshares. The rest of the units are wholly owned by private individuals. We recently received a letter stating that the Homeowners Association Board was considering “dissolving the timeshare program" and selling the 32 units to a private company. In the 30+ years we have owned timeshares, we have never encountered anything like this.

My questions for the group are: Is this a legal process? If so, have other TUG members encountered anything like this and what should we expect if they do “dissolve” the timeshares?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been owners at the Summit in Panama City Beach for the last 12 years. We hold a deeded week at the resort. Of the 200 units in the building, only 32 are timeshares. The rest of the units are wholly owned by private individuals. We recently received a letter stating that the Homeowners Association Board was considering “dissolving the timeshare program" and selling the 32 units to a private company. In the 30+ years we have owned timeshares, we have never encountered anything like this.

My questions for the group are: Is this a legal process? If so, have other TUG members encountered anything like this and what should we expect if they do “dissolve” the timeshares?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Is your ownership a Deed or a RTU (Right to Use) ?

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's a deeded, fixed week. We get it every July.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is pretty much as simple as they say at a high level. There are of course legal costs involved. They will fold the timeshare HOA and sell off the units. Any owners still on those timeshare deeds will get a split of the final proceeds. minus any costs. It may be a lot or it may be a little. When it is all complete, you won't own the timeshare anymore and will no longer have any usage rights.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It is legal. Under normal situations it would take a majority of the whole ownership to agree to dissolve the TS. Most Florida (and many other states) have sunset clauses written in where they dissolve automatically at a specific date unless the majority votes to continue and remove that clause. I don't remember is sunset clauses are in the deed or the offering statement. They are typically for 20-40ish years from when the timeshare was set up with the idea that it might be the tipping point where maintaining an older timeshare becomes more than the value of doing so for many of the owners.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
can search the forum for "sunset clause" to find what they might be likely discussing!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is legal. Under normal situations it would take a majority of the whole ownership to agree to dissolve the TS. Most Florida (and many other states) have sunset clauses written in where they dissolve automatically at a specific date unless the majority votes to continue and remove that clause. I don't remember is sunset clauses are in the deed or the offering statement. They are typically for 20-40ish years from when the timeshare was set up with the idea that it might be the tipping point where maintaining an older timeshare becomes more than the value of doing so for many of the owners.
The sunset clauses of our Grande Vista and Harbour Lake timeshares are written into the deed. Additional details in the CC&R.

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the information, everyone. I only paid $600 for it back in 2008 so I'm definitely not upside down on it. It does make for a good rental when we're not using it, so it would be a bummer if they do take it back. I'll post back to the thread when I hear something, one way or the other. :thumbup:

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We recently got a letter from the Homeowners Association which said that they have decided not to dissolve the Timeshare program. False alarm I guess. Thanks for all the information about the process.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't remember if sunset clauses are in the deed or the offering statement. They are typically for 20-40ish years from when the timeshare was set up with the idea that it might be the tipping point where maintaining an older timeshare becomes more than the value of doing so for many of the owners.

So-called "sunset clause" language and specific details are found within the original recorded CC&R's, usually within a section entitled (appropriately enough) "Termination".
The "sunset" date might sometimes be overtly mentioned in deeds (it's not, more often), but it is the recorded CC&R content that is the actual legal source and instrument.

It is also worthy of note that a "sunset date" mentioned in passing within a deed can be (and sometimes is) obsolete and flat out wrong, if / when said deed recording preceded a subsequent owner / HOA vote to extend (by CC&R amendment) the original "termination" date specified in the underlying CC&R's --- as has been occurring with some frequency in Florida in recent years as many timeshare properties built there in the early / mid 1980"s approach or reach their original CC&R "termination" date.

Last edited:

daverunfast

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently got a letter from the Homeowners Association which said that they have decided not to dissolve the Timeshare program. False alarm I guess. Thanks for all the information about the process.

Did they say why?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do not know anything about the "mixed use" nature of your property at issue, but I have seen no reference to this unexpected notice being "sunset date" related.
Accordingly, a question that immediately comes to my mind is how the referenced HOA is somehow able to make (and then "proclaim") decisions on continuation and / or termination entirely on their own, apparently without seeking and / or obtaining any actual owner input (or vote) on the matter. To the best of my knowledge and belief, such decisions and "proclamations" are not usually made unilaterally by a mere handful of people. :shrug:

Last edited:

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did they say why?
I suspect there was a good amount of "feedback" from timeshare owners. (I believe they had a portion of timeshare owners that were in maintenance fee default so they were losing money.) Moving forward, they decided to more aggressively repossess, resell and rent where possible.

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not know anything about the "mixed use" nature of the OP property at issue, but a question that immediately comes to my mind is how the referenced HOA is somehow able to make (and then "proclaim") decisions on continuation and / or termination entirely on their own, apparently without seeking and / or obtaining any actual owner input (or vote) on the matter. To the best of my knowledge and belief, such decisions and "proclamations" are not usually made unilaterally by a mere handful of people. :shrug:
That was exactly my thought as well, which was why I was looking for guidance.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was exactly my thought as well, which was why I was looking for guidance.

Fwiw, if in your shoes, I would certainly be leaning very hard on your HOA Board President for a more clear explanation (rather than just unilateral announcements and proclamations) regarding how or why (if not "sunset date" related) this issue even came up at all in the first place, as well as describing exactly by what process (and by whom and on what authority) these unilateral decisions regarding potential "termination" are apparently being made without any input (or vote) from deeded owners like you.

Frankly, this does not sound or smell quite right to me on its' face, although the "mixed use" nature of the property, with the overwhelming majority of units reportedly being wholly owned, is surely a big (but still not adequately explained) factor here. :shrug:

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The original post said the HOA was considering dissolving,,, To actually dissolve they would have to get the required votes after they investigated the actual nitty gritty to the process of dissolving and selling. They probably did a little investigating and decided it would be too difficult or too much effort so they decided not to pursue the dissolution. No votes or owner input really needed to considering dissolving when the HOA is potentially teetering on collapse due to defaults.

troy12n

Reaction score
FYI, in Florida, the sunset clause for HOA's is 30 years for residential deed restricted communities. I'm a FL resident and my neighborhood recently went through this. We had to vote to keep or evict the HOA because it had been 30 years since the HOA was initially founded. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and the majority of residents voted to keep it.

I'm almost 100% sure that COA (not a HOA) is different, and depends more on the founding documents for the COA and their covenants. There may or may not even be a COA sunset clause in Florida simply because of the fact that unlike an HOA, who does not OWN the underlying property, a COA does, and simply running out the clock and saying "well, the COA is dissolved, we are selling, you have 30 days to depart" doesn't fly.

But again, this is FLorida and we have some odd laws... like a mechanics lien law which allows a subcontractor (who wasn't hired by the homeowner) who has not been payed by the GC (who was hired by the homeowner) to file a lien and foreclose on a homeowner... even if the homeowner payed the GC.

This is playing out here right now where a pool company didn't pay any of their subs, and 160 people are possibly losing their homes because this shady company didn't pay their subs, and the subs can go after the homeowners because of this law

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Do you know the name of the company?

We had this happen to us at Inverness by the Sea in Galveston TX. They instituted a $6k/week assessment to "encourage" owners to give up their weeks.

daverunfast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know the name of the company?

We had this happen to us at Inverness by the Sea in Galveston TX. They instituted a $6k/week assessment to "encourage" owners to give up their weeks.
Who's "they"? I imagine it would be hard for the HOA to find the votes for that

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who's "they"? I imagine it would be hard for the HOA to find the votes for that
The company installed employees as members of the HOA board. What is the current state of the timeshare finances?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See:

The company: