• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dispute grows between ride-sharing apps and Phoenix airport

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Dispute grows between ride- sharing apps and Phoenix airport.

Richard

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Lyft to an from Sky Harbor earlier this month, then to and from my hotel. The grumpiest driver I had was a former taxi driver who told me he used to drive 150 miles or less on a shift and now drives over 300 miles a day. Trying to make the same. Lyft and Uber are driving taxi business out. Especially at their most lucrative locations, airports. I understand their frustration as going from a guaranteed fare system with limited competition, but while the ride share business has hurt the taxi business, it has allowed others to make some money. It just doesn't provide a living wage. One of my drivers was a grandmother, now having her daughter and granddaughter move in and she need's income, while still working her temp assignments. Another was a Dad driving to support his daughters expensive horse riding habit.

Reaction score
I drove LYFT in Orlando between March and May 2019. I made something like $600 per week at almost 60 hours per week. The problem for drivers is competition from countless other drivers. For instance, if I went to the Orlando International Airport (MCO) queue, I would wait 2.5 hours, which is unpaid. If I went to the Orlando Sanford Airport (SFB), I would wait about an hour. There are usually 200-ish drivers waiting at MCO, so you'll always have a ride within 10 minutes. Not to mention, there are always drivers in downtown Orlando, or along US-192 in Kissimmee.

TS

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I drove LYFT in Orlando between March and May 2019. I made something like $600 per week at almost 60 hours per week. The problem for drivers is competition from countless other drivers. For instance, if I went to the Orlando International Airport (MCO) queue, I would wait 2.5 hours, which is unpaid. If I went to the Orlando Sanford Airport (SFB), I would wait about an hour. There are usually 200-ish drivers waiting at MCO, so you'll always have a ride within 10 minutes. Not to mention, there are always drivers in downtown Orlando, or along US-192 in Kissimmee.

TS

And then you file taxes and pay income tax, and self employment tax (15+%).

I’ve prepared many returns for uber/lyft drivers and never had any of them realize more than $6/hour after taxes. They were all trading wear and tear on their car and driving time for a little extra cash. Not worth it imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this whole gig-work thing is going to come crashing down. To call UBER and Lyft and millions of truckers 'independent business owners' is a farce! They ARE and should be recognized as employees of the parent company and be paid wages- like overtime- as well as benefits- as such!

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
To call UBER and Lyft and millions of truckers 'independent business owners' is a farce! They ARE and should be recognized as employees of the parent company and be paid wages- like overtime- as well as benefits- as such!

I'm not going to take sides in this because I have no dog in this fight but I will bring up one thing about this controversy you mention --- should these ride-hailing drivers be treated like employees or like "independent contractors"? I know this was brought up recently in this neck of the woods.

Yes, some are fighting to be treated as employees so they can get their benefits such as OT, sick pay, medical, pension, etc. However, some drivers sign up as independent contractors because they like the idea of "being their own boss" and "setting their own hours". So the arguement on the other side of the ledger said to these drivers is something like, "Hey, if you want to be treated like an employee with employee benefits, then you have to submit to the company's work schedule. You can't be picking and choosing which hours you work."

So basically the drivers have a choice: Receive employee benefits but be treated like an employee (ie., be subject to a "boss" and have your work hours dictated to you) or be an "independent contractor" while setting your own schedule but don't receive employee benefits.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I think it would be nice for these drivers to make a living wage but all jobs can't be treated as "employee" jobs; and uber/lyft drivers by the nature of their work seem to be more like independent contractors (own hours, own car, self managing, etc.) in my opinion. If they were considered to be employees, the restrictions and control over them would be much more severe and many of them would loose their job as a result. Maybe there is some type of middle ground which would be a better situation.

I know I only use them because they are less expensive and more convenient than taxis; but if it became much more expensive I would use them a lot less.

It may be just as big of a problem that these positions will be competing against driver-less cars in the future and that whole industry could become extinct.