• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disneyland Grand Californian?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Would love to stay at the Grand California Dec 2021....where does one find someone willing to rent/trade points?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No where - the Grand Californian is very difficult to get into, and owner's value their points and can rent them for big bucks, so trading is very unlikely.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
VGC (and Disneyland) has been closed for some time due to the pandemic. I am not sure if this closure will impact rentals prices once it reopens but I would suspect that due to pent up demand that one may find VGC even more expensive to rent next year than it has been historically. Just my guess.

I am a relatively new owner at VGC but have never rented it out.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
VGC (and Disneyland) has been closed for some time due to the pandemic. I am not sure if this closure will impact rentals prices once it reopens but I would suspect that due to pent up demand that one may find VGC even more expensive to rent next year than it has been historically. Just my guess.

This is an important point. VGC was scheduled to reopen on Dec. 6 but that had to be cancelled when Orange Co. was locked down again. Owners there are not being given much if anything in terms of delay of expiration of points, etc. so when it does reopen it will book up more quickly than usual.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

You're very lucky to have secured a VGC contract. How many points did you purchase? Was it $155 per point ?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You're very lucky to have secured a VGC contract. How many points did you purchase? Was it $155 per point ?

Thank you. We have always been more Disneyland that WDW so this is what we wanted. Yes, $155/point. This was in mid 2018. In searching most weren’t lasting very long. I was seeing a lot of $180+ for sale too. Saw one pop up for 160 points at $150 with Fidelity on a Friday and quickly offered $155 via email.

I just today made a reservation for March in a 2 bdm at VGC (VGC currently closed due to CA COVID). I had to borrow some points. Normally, if you cancel using borrowed points those points remain in the use year of your reservation, which I was worried about since my use year is June. However, I verified with member services that they have a temporary change in that any cancellations, either by VGC or myself, are credited back to the use year they were borrowed from. I am not familiar with all timeshares but it is my belief that DVC member services has to be up there with the best of them.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thank you. We have always been more Disneyland that WDW so this is what we wanted. Yes, $155/point. This was in mid 2018. In searching most weren’t lasting very long. I was seeing a lot of $180+ for sale too. Saw one pop up for 160 points at $150 with Fidelity on a Friday and quickly offered $155 via email.

I just today made a reservation for March in a 2 bdm at VGC (VGC currently closed due to CA COVID). I had to borrow some points. Normally, if you cancel using borrowed points those points remain in the use year of your reservation, which I was worried about since my use year is June. However, I verified with member services that they have a temporary change in that any cancellations, either by VGC or myself, are credited back to the use year they were borrowed from. I am not familiar with all timeshares but it is my belief that DVC member services has to be up there with the best of them.
I was told thepolicy of borrowed points going back to the use year they were borrowed from is until 12/31/2020. Maybe the policy will get extended but right now we do not know. As an owner at VGC also I cannot see how they would penalize owners that has a reservation cancelled on account of resort being closed.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I was told thepolicy of borrowed points going back to the use year they were borrowed from is until 12/31/2020. Maybe the policy will get extended but right now we do not know. As an owner at VGC also I cannot see how they would penalize owners that has a reservation cancelled on account of resort being closed.

As I said, I had to borrow some points to make this reservation. I was concerned if either I or VGC needed to cancel as I had read that borrowed points stay in the use year of their reservation, even if cancelled. I do not want more points in my 2020 June use year than I already have. I was told that in the event of cancelation for any reason that they would go back to the 2021 use year. He even told me that I could cancel right up to the last minute and they would go back to 2021 use year. He knew that my reservation was March 2021 as he had to help make the reservation because when I was doing it online it messed up (took the borrowed points but didn't make the reservation). I felt good about the reservation but since you were told something different I just chatted with DVC member services.

I was told this time that the temporary change to move borrowed points back to their original use year has been in place since March 2020. She confirmed that they have no date on when this temporary change would end but it could change at anytime. Therefore, there is no guaranty that if I cancel in February 2021 that those borrowed points would go back to where they belong. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. However, I agree with you that if VGC is still closed I feel confident that they would allow those points to be returned to 2021.

Maybe I'll see you around VGC sometime!

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I was told, this policy could end at anytime. If it is until 12/20, great news for my situation, because I have been back and forth on waiting or canceling reservations at VGC.

I am on hold for MS to verify this information, sometimes it is totally dependent on the CM.

Reactions: RX8

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I was told, this policy could end at anytime. If it is until 12/20, great news for my situation, because I have been back and forth on waiting or canceling reservations at VGC.

I am on hold for MS to verify this information, sometimes it is totally dependent on the CM.
Multiple recent posts on DISboards indicate that returning borrowed points to their original UY remains in place but could end at any time. However, those posts also report that DVC will announce an end date before they actually stop doing so.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Multiple recent posts on DISboards indicate that returning borrowed points to their original UY remains in place but could end at any time. However, those posts also report that DVC will announce an end date before they actually stop doing so.
Thank you.