• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disneyland admission tops $200 a day

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At WDW Hollywood Studios, they had been opening at 7AM with a tap in time of 6:10AM.
It was to deal with huge crowds for the new Star Wars ride, Rise of the Resistance.
They reported a 66% increase in crowd size and "boarding passes" were gone in 5-10 min.

DHS-12620-Waiting-for-Batuu-Sky-2.jpeg

Recently, they bumped the opening up to 8AM with a 30 minute advance tap-in.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Years ago (maybe 20?), before biometrics, anyone could use a ticket. We have a family reunion in Orlando and I bought a number of 10-day park hopper passes for the families to share. The price per day was something like $20. We are still using these but I am down to my last 10 days. After that I will have a very hard time forking out the money for a day at the park. I don't see the "magic" at that price.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not just the ticket prices going up. Many times of the year you have to add the price of a party ticket to get the same hours in the park you used to get. I give Disney a lot of credit in maximizing their income. Like others have said the good economy and the exponential growth of global tourism has a lot to do with what they can do.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
It is not just the ticket prices going up. Many times of the year you have to add the price of a party ticket to get the same hours in the park you used to get. I give Disney a lot of credit in maximizing their income. Like others have said the good economy and the exponential growth of global tourism has a lot to do with what they can do.

Only because what they are doing is giving people hour after hour and day after day of enjoyment. If they weren’t doing that the other stuff wouldn’t matter. They provide an escape from the stress and worries of everyday life better than almost any other place on earth. That’s why more and more people visit and pay higher and higher prices to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only because what they are doing is giving people hour after hour and day after day of enjoyment. If they weren’t doing that the other stuff wouldn’t matter. They provide an escape from the stress and worries of everyday life better than almost any other place on earth. That’s why more and more people visit and pay higher and higher prices to do so.

Hopefully the stress relief overcomes the stress of planning a disney vacation today. I really enjoy disney. but the planning needed today starting at 6 months and in IMHO the degrading experience is not worth the price.

Or just maybe the masters of marketing are that good.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
but the planning needed today starting at 6 months

There are very few things that can or need to be done at 6 months. Other than confirming an RCI exchange in October, my planning for our upcoming trip in March started about 64 days in advance. Admittedly, we limit our table service dining and don't go for particularly difficult to get reservations, but it's not hard for an experienced visitor to plan a rewarding trip in a shorter timeframe.

I'm not saying it's the most relaxing of vacations - it's not! I usually need a vacation from my vacation after a week in Disney World. But if I found it stressful instead of fun, I wouldn't do it.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! You obviously have a different definition of degrading than I do.

I will try to define for me

the current wait times in a formerly slow period.

space mountain 170 minutes
SDTR 160 minutes
r&r roller coaster 210 minutes
tower of terror 170 minutes
every ride in AK is over 120 minutes

Our last trip was about this time of year and many rides that were virtual walk ons are now over 90 minutes. I cannot physically stand for that long without my knees being in agony. I would like to go back so check occasionally on wait times and these are standard now. Most of the new rides are impossible to get fast pass unless you stay on site. Last winter it was reported that rides were being run at reduced capacity with these kind of waits. We had planned to buy a season pass and use it over two winters. We canceled. A lot of the street entertainment groups have been canceled along with closing of a lot of attractions. And finally most of the new rides are based on a screen. These are not my favorite type of attraction. All of this but mostly the ride wait times has deteriorated the experience for me. After 10 great vacations at Disneyworld to me the value is well below the price.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the experience do you find degrading?
That was not well put by me. The experience itself is not degrading. I think the park experience is degrading over time. That is defined above.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Like most everything in life, Disney is definitely one of those things some will like and others won't - no matter what.
I can remember taking our oldest to Disney World when he was young and enjoying it somewhat but it did not take our kids long before the coolness factor in Orlando shifted to Univeral Studios and IOA. We've never been back to Disney since that one trip.

I suspect if we go again, it will be just the wife and I. To be honest, I'm not sure I will ever desire to visit Disney World again when there are still so many places in this country we have not visited. I guess the allure of Disney is not that strong to me. I can understand why others may feel different, but over the years as the changes within and around Disney have trended toward the negative from my perspective.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! You obviously have a different definition of degrading than I do.

I realize you are exactly right.

here is the one I was using number 2 on the list

lower the character or quality of.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I will try to define for me... the current wait times in a formerly slow period.
space mountain 170 minutes...

We only do rides for which we have a FastPass or the wait time is LT 15 minutes.
We found plenty to do with little standing,. BTW, Mission: Space was a walk-on.
[I should'a added...] YMMV.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obsessive Disney Disorder or O.D.D. :oops:

A psychological issue where going to Disney or memories of Disney are constantly on the brain. The person can often be found smiling for no reason, looking at All Access Disney and searching the Disney site on their computer for dining reservations, resorts, entertainment, fastpasses, dining plan, etc.

Symptoms of O.D.D.: 1. Constantly planning and booking new Disney trips. Most commonly planning your next trip as you are flying/driving home from Disney. 2. Daydream of family fun and laughter on rides, watching parades and the shows you love to watch over and over. 3. Extreme cravings for Dole Whips, Funnel Cakes, Mickey's pretzels and ice cream.

Disney Knows Your Brain And Wants Your Emotions

Facial Coding and Neuromarketing
Pixar, Story, and Emotion
Early Disney and Psychology
Getting inside your brain

Disney's Brainy Success
Disney has been remarkably successful over the years. I'd attribute that in part to their keen interest in how our brains work and the importance of emotion in consumer behavior.

Their 1943 cartoon to the contrary, Disney understands that whether we're deciding on a vacation destination or choosing a movie, it's not usually "reason" in the driver seat - it's emotion!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only do rides for which we have a FastPass or the wait time is LT 15 minutes.
We found plenty to do with little standing,. BTW, Mission: Space was a walk-on.

Current wait time is 70 minutes.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Disney isn’t necessarily a all out calculated event
Most normal people take their kids there wether they really have the money or not
Why?
Because parents do things for their kids ( and themselves ) that will bring forever memories to both parent and child. Much like owning a timeshare
I have spent endless hours on some BS event or waiting for the kids to ride a ride but I didn’t do it for ME. I did it for my kids
And my kids. Now 35 on down to 16 still talk about all the things we or they were able to do as kids

PRICELESS!!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will try to define for me

the current wait times in a formerly slow period.

space mountain 170 minutes
SDTR 160 minutes
r&r roller coaster 210 minutes
tower of terror 170 minutes

Our last trip was about this time of year and many rides that were virtual walk ons are now over 90 minutes. I cannot physically stand for that long without my knees being in agony. I would like to go back so check occasionally on wait times and these are standard now. Most of the new rides are impossible to get fast pass unless you stay on site. Last winter it was reported that rides were being run at reduced capacity with these kind of waits. We had planned to buy a season pass and use it over two winters. We canceled. A lot of the street entertainment groups have been canceled along with closing of a lot of attractions. And finally most of the new rides are based on a screen. These are not my favorite type of attraction. All of this but mostly the ride wait times has deteriorated the experience for me. After 10 great vacations at Disneyworld to me the value is well below the price.

It’s totally understandable that you wouldn’t enjoy it if you are unable to do so physically and I’m sorry that you can’t stand that long so that you can. I said in an earlier post that right now, we are able to enjoy the experience because we are physically able to move around in the park and we can still afford it. When either or both of those cease to be, we’ll have to stop going.

Harry

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last trip was about this time of year and many rides that were virtual walk ons are now over 90 minutes.
It's not that bad at Disneyland Anaheim, but I've never understood how anyone has the time to stand in line for an hour or more and actually get rides done. I need to keep moving and will do everything I can to not stand in lines. One example is Radiator Springs Racers. I didn't try that ride for the first couple years because the line was always 2 hours long or longer. The first time I rode it, I had a FP. Since then, I've probably rode it 20 times, but always use the single rider entrance. Even if I am with other people, for me it's single rider or I'm not riding. The longest I've seen the single rider line is 20 minutes, but it's much more often about 5 minutes. I walk past all the 2 hour people and still cannot figure out how they have 2 hours to stand in a line for a ride. I usually am only there for the day or even a few hours and perhaps the 2 hour people are there for a week and don't care.

Original Disneyland doesn't have FP that you book 6 months in advance. You can only get a FP after you are scanned into the park. It works good for me. If I went to WDW, I'd probably be totally confused and wouldn't get to do anything.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not that bad at Disneyland Anaheim, but I've never understood how anyone has the time to stand in line for an hour or more and actually get rides done. I need to keep moving and will do everything I can to not stand in lines. One example is Radiator Springs Racers. I didn't try that ride for the first couple years because the line was always 2 hours long or longer. The first time I rode it, I had a FP. Since then, I've probably rode it 20 times, but always use the single rider entrance. Even if I am with other people, for me it's single rider or I'm not riding. The longest I've seen the single rider line is 20 minutes, but it's much more often about 5 minutes. I walk past all the 2 hour people and still cannot figure out how they have 2 hours to stand in a line for a ride. I usually am only there for the day or even a few hours and perhaps the 2 hour people are there for a week and don't care.

Original Disneyland doesn't have FP that you book 6 months in advance. You can only get a FP after you are scanned into the park. It works good for me. If I went to WDW, I'd probably be totally confused and wouldn't get to do anything.

We try to go to WDW during non-peak times. We don’t ride a lot of things but I don’t remember ever standing in line over 30 minutes for anything. We also spend most of our time at Epcot and Animal Kingdom. We sometimes spend part of a day at MK but rarely go to Hollywood Studios at all.

I don’t think I would ever stand in line 2 hours for something and I know DW wouldn’t. The crowds and the heat is why we don’t go during peak seasons.

Harry

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

I loved that system when they had it at DW. We would rope drop and ride the big ride early. Then we would grab a fastpass. You could build them up and use them during the most crowded times. My wife and I used the singles line a lot. I imagine at some point we will go back when all the refresh is done, but the every year trip will not happen.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
We don’t ride a lot of things but I don’t remember ever standing in line over 30 minutes for anything.

We ride basically everything and I can't tell you the last time I've spent more than 30 minutes in line. My family would revolt! The only major attraction I don't really have a good plan for in March is the new Mickey and Minnie ride in Hollywood Studios, since it's not open yet and we've only got two days planned in that park (and fastpasses already for Smugglers Run and Slinky Dog that I wouldn't want to change). I plan to rope drop it, but we'll have to see how things go.

I'll also point out that it's a holiday weekend right now, so the wait times posted earlier probably reflect that. There's basically no more "slow time" at WDW anyway, but doubly so when people are taking advantage of time off of school/work.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
When people stop going, prices will stabilize or come down. No one is forced to go. Why not raise prices if people keep coming.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I took all our kids and grands to Disney several times, and have good memories. I was thinking about taking my granddaughters to WDW this spring, but I've decided it's just not worth the price and hassle anymore.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When people stop going, prices will stabilize or come down. No one is forced to go. Why not raise prices if people keep coming.
Somehow, I believe this same line of logic is being used by drug companies as well.

Simply because one can do something, it does not follow that one should do something.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I believe this same line of logic is being used by drug companies as well.

Simply because one can do something, it does not follow that one should do something.

I'm not sure the same standard applies to Disneyland pricing and prescription drug pricing.

For 2 reasons: one is ethical. Nobody has died from not going to Disneyland, while prescription drugs are a need for many.

Drugs are also generally not capacity limited. If they could sell more they would make more. Disneyland has a fixed capacity and no room to expand. If they left it at the opening day prices adjusted for inflation, the place would be so packed it would be a terrible experience for everyone.