• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DISNEY WORLD GUTS GUEST BENEFITS AT ITS HOTELS

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Grande Vista 3 BR reserved for the summer. I wonder if we should switch to Imperial Palms 3 BR to be closer to WDW. I chose MGV because I heard it’s nicer and the 3 BR is a little bigger, not that it matters with just me, DH and daughter. But we all like lots of space. I am concerned about going to WDW without the FP system. I can’t tolerate waiting in long lines. We are currently scheduled for early June. Do you think the lines will be long? We passed on Easter break because of Covid and also I have a 2 BR at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe booked for a week. That is hard to get esp the 2BR and for a week.
IMO the distance isn't a big deal and I feel the GV 3 BR are enough better to make it worthwhile even for those who prefer the location of the resorts that are closer. Frankly, even between GV and Bonnet Creek, I wouldn't look at it as a major issue based on distance. The difference staying on property vs off isn't so much a distance thing as an access and feel issue. Certainly there are options that are not active currently that will likely be present again in a couple of years. In addition on property guests can get into any park 30 minutes earlier every day coming soon which is actually a pretty big upgrade IMO and probably better than the previous version of early entry and late night for many if not most people. I like Bonnet Creek overall and I'd put their Presidential units on par with GV, maybe even slightly above, but not the regular units.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
IMO the distance isn't a big deal and I feel the GV 3 BR are enough better to make it worthwhile even for those who prefer the location of the resorts that are closer. Frankly, even between GV and Bonnet Creek, I wouldn't look at it as a major issue based on distance. The difference staying on property vs off isn't so much a distance thing as an access and feel issue. Certainly there are options that are not active currently that will likely be present again in a couple of years. In addition on property guests can get into any park 30 minutes earlier every day coming soon which is actually a pretty big upgrade IMO and probably better than the previous version of early entry and late night for many if not most people. I like Bonnet Creek overall and I'd put their Presidential units on par with GV, maybe even slightly above, but not the regular units.

Do you like a Grande Vista 3 BR better than a 3 BR Imperial Palms?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
We have Grande Vista 3 BR reserved for the summer. I wonder if we should switch to Imperial Palms 3 BR to be closer to WDW. I chose MGV because I heard it’s nicer and the 3 BR is a little bigger, not that it matters with just me, DH and daughter. But we all like lots of space. I am concerned about going to WDW without the FP system. I can’t tolerate waiting in long lines. We are currently scheduled for early June. Do you think the lines will be long? We passed on Easter break because of Covid and also I have a 2 BR at the Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe booked for a week. That is hard to get esp the 2BR and for a week.

Grande Vista has nicer grounds in the immediate area of the room, but Imperial palms has a better swimming pool complex (The World Center). For a summertime stay, Imperial is probably better if you want a better pool complex. I still think the mask mandate will still be in effect in the summer though. Just keep that in mind if you're flying to Florida in the middle of summer. Masks in the summer heat are almost intolerable.

Btw, which system do you think is better for a lifetime? MVC or DVC? I'm thinking of adding Marriott. I've teetered between wanting Marriott vs. DVC, but lately DVC has been ruining their own product too much for me to see much value in it especially since I can visit the resorts any time I want for dinner and trade into SSR and OKW pretty easily.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the best vacations we ever had was a package deal at the Contemporary. I think it was in the 70s. It included all kind of stuff, hotel, admission, many meals, etc. The highlight for the kids was Breakfast with the Characters. I don't remember how much it cost but we considered it reasonable at a time when we weren't flush in cash...

George

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread made me think about our WDW history....
Prior to kid: find a "special" in a nicer resort on property.
Once kid arrived: DVC was with II and OH the trips we took on property - even using ACs to get them!
Once DVC went to RCI: We stayed offsite at Marriotts and were/are 100% happy with that option
Last trip: was via RCI and we were back on property, great for a full blown Disney trip
In the end: makes no difference, off site Marriott or DVC, I'm good

Tickets: in the past we would get the 10 day no expiration ones, those were great. Now I buy Disney Gift cards at discounts throughout the year for them......

But, here is my take on the cost of park tickets. Let's say it costs $350 for the 3 of us to enter a park for a day. I can easily spend that much money on a concert, sports game, theatre tickets, etc. And that is for only a few hours of the day. When I look at it that way, Disney is almost a bargain to entertain me all day and all night. The issue comes is that I want to do it for 5-7 days all at once where the others are one time things every now and then.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Grande Vista has nicer grounds in the immediate area of the room, but Imperial palms has a better swimming pool complex (The World Center). For a summertime stay, Imperial is probably better if you want a better pool complex. I still think the mask mandate will still be in effect in the summer though. Just keep that in mind if you're flying to Florida in the middle of summer. Masks in the summer heat are almost intolerable.

Btw, which system do you think is better for a lifetime? MVC or DVC? I'm thinking of adding Marriott. I've teetered between wanting Marriott vs. DVC, but lately DVC has been ruining their own product too much for me to see much value in it especially since I can visit the resorts any time I want for dinner and trade into SSR and OKW pretty easily.

I just sold all my DVC contracts. I had 630 points. I am Presidential with MVC. It seems better because it has more locations and more trading opportunities.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I just sold all my DVC contracts. I had 630 points. I am Presidential with MVC. It seems better because it has more locations and more trading opportunities.

Yea I figured. My daughter literally can't tell the difference between DVC and Club Wyndham anyways and she's almost 6. I really don't think DVC creates much more "magic" for little kids anyways. Only adults really pick up on the differences. But once you're kids are grown, WDW also loses most of it's magic anyways making DVC not a good fit for a 'lifetime'.

Truth be told, I think my kiddo would probably be just as happy taking a trip to Aruba Surf Club or Harborside vs staying a week at WDW, even at 6 years old. Disney IS overrated for how much it costs. My husband isn't really a theme park person either so it's usually just me bringing the kid anyways. I actually am surprised at how little I see just the mom/dad bringing the kids. When I was a kid, it was my mom that always brought my sister and I while my dad was working.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I also just sold my larger DVc contract--seller's remorse now! I'd keep the 3BR. I've stayed at GV and also a Royal Palms, next door to IP. Distance is equiv. Again, for someone who goes into the park in AM and stays all day, offsite make no difference IMHO. We used to stay offsite before buying DVC when our kids were young and they had a ball. We alternated park/pool-resort days. As they got older, as esp. when schedules didn't align, onsite for transport made a big difference for us. I like the GV pools better than M World Center--enough activity, but not too much.
For June, consider a character or sit down lunch--it gets you out of the heat or plan to go back to resort to swim early afternoon. Expect rain in the 4-6pm time, and then head back to the parks if you want. We grab breakfast in the room, hit the parks for 4 hours, come back and swim, eat dinner in condo and go back for late night. Your daughter is the perfect age for WDW. If she loves it, plan to come back again (and again)!
No way to know what will happen with FP or lines. Best bet is to go in AM by 9, bypass fantasy land and ride tomorrow or frontier until noon. alternate the next day. Try fantasy land later after little kids have left and forget about 7 dwarfs--it's not that great, I promise. Goofys Barnstormer, which is cute and fun is a walk on at 10 pm! If they have late hours this summer (doubtful) do them. Our most fun was at night--I had 2 sleeping 6 yr olds and a 10 year old on the bus at midnight--such a bad Mom, but such fun!

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I was a kid, it was my mom that always brought my sister and I while my dad was working.
My mom did this all the time (we were 2 hours away). And I did it for my kids 3X (we went at spring break with Dad, but he said no way in summer). But it was so much cheaper then (we got a POP room for $86 sometimes even with free dining and a 7 day base (non-expire) ticket was $375 that we could use for 2 trips). But, with today's prices, for most, it's their big family trip. I wouldn't want to spend upwards of $5K with just me and the kids.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
My mom did this all the time (we were 2 hours away). And I did it for my kids 3X (we went at spring break with Dad, but he said no way in summer). But it was so much cheaper then (we got a POP room for $86 sometimes even with free dining and a 7 day base (non-expire) ticket was $375 that we could use for 2 trips). But, with today's prices, for most, it's their big family trip. I wouldn't want to spend upwards of $5K with just me and the kids.

APs were $450/year last I checked before March. Usually when I'm staying in Orlando for a few days at a resort, I don't actually waste time at the parks while I'm paying for the resort. I can justify a single night stay at a DVC resort, use the amenities on a Saturday and go to a park on Sunday after check out. But the actual cost of DVC is ridiculous for a whole week. Last time I used RCI to get into SSR I only went to Disney Springs and spent the rest of the time enjoying the amenities. Magic Kingdom is a 50 min commute from my house.

I just NEVER see locals do it. With the prices, I don't get why more parents just solo the day if they're close enough to drive home.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
APs were $450/year last I checked before March.
that's a great price, but only for FL residents-still very affordable! DVC gold was $700 with taxes. Hoping they offer them again. Wish I'd bought the $299 platinum vouchers offered in the past-but I wondered if kids would age out of WDW (not).

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
that's a great price, but only for FL residents-still very affordable! DVC gold was $700 with taxes. Hoping they offer them again. Wish I'd bought the $299 platinum vouchers offered in the past-but I wondered if kids would age out of WDW (not).

$450 is still out of my price range unless I intend to go at least twice a month. $20/day per person is my limit.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

But at the end of the day, comparing Gold to FL weekday select, it seems that the higher price does have some perks. I buy my brother's FL AP weekday select. I've got a couple of kids under 18 so they go on his account. I have Gold. I have weekends and PhotoPass. They do not. By now we are Photopassed out and I avoided weekends anyway, but comparing the two levels, it does seem that the extra value is covered by the extra price.

I have a few of those Platinum passes for gold price in my account. I put one on my husband and he went like 4 times total so I won't be doing that again. lol

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I bought those platinum passes years ago for $299. I thought there was a use by date and if past that date the purchase price is applied to a new pass? Are you saying you purchased the $299 platinum pass years ago and are still able to redeem them for the comparable platinum annual pass with no money added?

Dang if that is correct, I should ha e bought a bunch then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yep. I think so! The $299 didn't have an expiration date, as I recall. The next ones were $399 and had an expire date.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
........Every unit in BC is equal in quality to Marriotts with the exception that the appliances are black, not stainless steal. .....

That is a funny typo or auto correct
LOL
Thank you for all the detailed info as well.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's still a good deal for offsite TS, eating breakfast/most dinners in room. Then the big cost is just tickets. Not much of a vacation for the one playing taxi service--as DH found out when our teens each took a friend and we stayed offsite in a 3 BR. That's why we're trying BC-as close as we can get to WDW. A 2 BR sleeping 8 is all in $900 annual fees/RCI for the week.

When have you seen a two bedroom on RCI??

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I think poster is using BC for Bonnet Creek. Not BC for Beach Club Villas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes. Bonnet Creek. No 2Br in RCI for DVC-WDW for a long time! And Beach Club 1Br are very scarce as well.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
I’ve done trips to Europe for less than WDW lol

Indeed. Unless you want to go absolutely peak season in Europe, you can do Europe for ~$1-1.2k/person in total (food, tours, etc) for a week - especially if you are flexible on location (check flights and hotels to your top 5 or 6 destinations - usually one or two will be a lot less). Even less than that if you play the credit card point game (AA, Delta, United miles, CSR etc) and score a good deal on a hotel, airbnb or timeshare. We got flights to Paris (1 connection) 3 years ago for less than $400/person (not basic economy) and hotel room worked out to $30/p/night. My typical flight to europe is around $600/person or $150 with miles (if cash price is > $1000/ticket).

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Indeed. Unless you want to go absolutely peak season in Europe, you can do Europe for ~$1-1.2k/person in total (food, tours, etc) for a week - especially if you are flexible on location (check flights and hotels to your top 5 or 6 destinations - usually one or two will be a lot less). Even less than that if you play the credit card point game (AA, Delta, United miles, CSR etc) and score a good deal on a hotel, airbnb or timeshare. We got flights to Paris (1 connection) 3 years ago for less than $400/person (not basic economy) and hotel room worked out to $30/p/night. My typical flight to europe is around $600/person or $150 with miles (if cash price is > $1000/ticket).
I look forward (and hope we soon see) these times again!