• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Vacation Club will allow changes and cancelations (without penalty) due to coronavirus

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the email I received
83D40E30-6F6E-4F9A-8871-9AA9BE6C41DF.png

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, and FYI, DVC is no longer allowing people to 'unborrow' points used for reservations in closed resorts.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 136 points that were borrowed from 2019 March Use Year. I can’t make a reservation because the resorts are showing they are still sold out.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went on dvcmember.com and they are showing all the dates in March available even though the resorts are CLOSED!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Unborrowing' came back later yesterday. So...I called DVC this morning and cancelled my April reservation. I am happy to report that they are allowing reservations to be cancelled past the closing of the parks without penalty - no holding points for this use year - and are unborrowing next use year's points.

My CSR did say it could take up to 30 days for the unborrowing to be processed by her supervisor. *After* asking if I had a new reservation in mind. So if you are thinking you might want to make a new reservation with those borrowed points know your dates before you call.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Unborrowing' came back later yesterday. So...I called DVC this morning and cancelled my April reservation. I am happy to report that they are allowing reservations to be cancelled past the closing of the parks without penalty - no holding points for this use year - and are unborrowing next use year's points.

My CSR did say it could take up to 30 days for the unborrowing to be processed by her supervisor. *After* asking if I had a new reservation in mind....thus implying that DVC can do the borrowing while you are on the line. So if you are thinking you might want to make a new reservation with those borrowed points know your dates before you call.
Did it change again or is the usual DVC inconsistency?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
It came back again in yesterday’s updated notice accessible from the public page of the Member website. Still inconsistent (and illustrating they don’t think things all the way through before implementing and posting), no?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What was posted on their website under travel information initially said that if you cancelled you could unborrow. Then yesterday mid-day-ish they changed it. Then yesterday late in the day they changed it back to allow unborrowing. So I called bright and early at 9:00AM sharp before they could change their mind again.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What was posted on their website under travel information initially said that if you cancelled you could unborrow. Then yesterday mid-day-ish they changed it. Then yesterday late in the day they changed it back to allow unborrowing. So I called bright and early at 9:00AM sharp before they could change their mind again.

LOL, this is one of the things about DVC that drives me crazy. The worst part is the case by case inconsistently. I'd rather they give no concessions that to be blowing in the wind.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any reservations set for the upcoming months but I do have points that I banked from my March 2019 use year. I have to use those points in 2020 since they are banked.
What is gonna happen to those points? Will they just stay in my 2020 UY?

Even reading my own post I know the answer. Those points will remain in this use year!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any reservations set for the upcoming months but I do have points that I banked from my March 2019 use year. I have to use those points in 2020 since they are banked.
What is gonna happen to those points? Will they just stay in my 2020 UY?

Even reading my own post I know the answer. Those points will remain in this use year!
They will expire the end of the UY they are currently in unless something changes. You might be able to deposit with RCI or use for some cash type options.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup...no further banking of banked points.

Thus my normal timeshare advice...Always a borrower not a banker be. Completely true for HGVC and MVCI and mostly true for DVC.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

My CSR did say it could take up to 30 days for the unborrowing to be processed by her supervisor. *After* asking if I had a new reservation in mind. So if you are thinking you might want to make a new reservation with those borrowed points know your dates before you call.
This is news to me. I cancelled some reservations for April at Aulani and my borrowed points landed in this use year, which means I have to use them by 2/1. I guess I will be going to Mouse Owners to rent them.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...So I called bright and early at 9:00AM sharp before they could change their mind again.
Apparently this was a wise decision as people on 'that' social media website are reporting that at the moment DVC is only unborrowing March reservations. Despite what their website currently continues to say.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I have a June reservation for VGC. Do the current guidelines indicate that I could cancel that reservation, but borrowed points would remain borrowed? And what happens if I am using some banked points for this reservation as well? I have another reservation for December, so I guess I could reallocate some of the points to that reservation, but it will get complicated.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a June reservation for VGC. Do the current guidelines indicate that I could cancel that reservation, but borrowed points would remain borrowed? And what happens if I am using some banked points for this reservation as well? I have another reservation for December, so I guess I could reallocate some of the points to that reservation, but it will get complicated.
It looks like borrowed points will be returned to the original UY. Still you may want to reallocate if you can depending on specifics of UY, home resort and the like.\
Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

We will automatically cancel any reservation scheduled for arrival during any closure. You do not need to cancel the reservation online or contact Member Services.

To make the process of changing reservations as smooth as possible, Disney Vacation Club has lifted the close-in reservation cancellation restrictions and will return any of your Points back as Vacation Points or Reservation Points without placing them into holding. Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.

At this time, we have not made any changes to our Points banking or expiration policy due the impact this could have on future inventory availability. We understand this is of particular concern for Members with reservations affected by closures and/or the COVID-19 situation who may be toward the end of their Use Year. We are, however, currently evaluating various options to assist Members in this situation, but will need to delay any decisions until we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
It looks like borrowed points will be returned to the original UY. Still you may want to reallocate if you can depending on specifics of UY, home resort and the like.\
I would think a June reservation cancelled now would be subject to normal banking/borrowing rules, but if you wait and the resort is then closed for your dates you would be eligible for the amended rules. OTOH, if you cancel the June reservation now, you can Modify the December reservation online to reallocate the banked points to that reservation, assuming UY and home resort line up, as Dean says.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
This is news to me. I cancelled some reservations for April at Aulani and my borrowed points landed in this use year, which means I have to use them by 2/1. I guess I will be going to Mouse Owners to rent them.
Only March reservations have the unborrowing exemption for now. It was any reservation a few days ago. Rules are changing day by day almost.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I would think a June reservation cancelled now would be subject to normal banking/borrowing rules, but if you wait and the resort is then closed for your dates you would be eligible for the amended rules. OTOH, if you cancel the June reservation now, you can Modify the December reservation online to reallocate the banked points to that reservation, assuming UY and home resort line up, as Dean says.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I can just wait until it get canceled, and then maybe my borrowed points will go back to 2021, and I can reallocate the banked points to my December reservation. Hoping summer is better, but no one knows. Sigh.