• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Vacation Club Tax Return / Income Questions

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Have been researching which ways people have claimed DVC (Disney Vacation Club) on their tax returns as rental income.

First the rule in regards to the 15 days personal use and less than 15 days rental not being required to pay income tax. Would this apply to Disney Vacation Club as this is a point based system? How would you justify this as each size room is different point basis so you could use a studio for 15 days personally but rent out a grand villa for less than 15 days with no income tax?

Second, How have people depreciated the initial purchase cost? Most real estate was based upon 27.5 years , however does this apply to DVC as well as it seems this is more of a point lease type contract. If you were to use the 27.5 year depreciation, How would you depreciate the contracts that are less than 27.5 years long? I was thinking would it be possible to depreciate it based upon a point less for example if you were to buy a 50 year contract at 100 per point you would be able to include 2 dollars per point in the cost to deduct against the income. Maintenance dues would be the only significant deduction against rental income on the property unless I am missing something.

Third, How have people handled the rental income of banked point contract purchases as if you were to rent all of the points out the first year it would be significant income against minimal depreciation. Is there any logic to put the banked points against the purchase price the first year if rented out as banked points are part of what is included with the contract initially?

I know there will be different opinions on what can be done and asking for tax advice on a public forum isn't a good idea, however just trying to see if anyone has any experience with this or any ideas. This is quite new territory for my CPA and I have searched online pretty thoroughly without much clarity.
Thank you

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
See this article:

The article is a bit dated, but is still generally "right on".
I saw and read this article. A lot of good information but it mostly is for week timeshares. There is not a lot about the point system timeshare. Also does not answer the question in regards to depreciation if the contract is less than 27.5 years left.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
You might want to ask over on www.mouseowners.com. There are a lot of people on the boards who rent out their points.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot is going to depend on how aggressive you want to be. I am more conservative and would argue that 1) does not apply and that for 2), depreciation is not an issue and I would agree that "Maintenance (fees) would be the only significant deduction against rental income on the property unless I am missing something."

More discussion here from other viewpoints: