• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Timeshare - Advise needed from TUG Gurus

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I haven't been following ROFR lately but in past downturns they haven't, in some cases for very low prices. So I wouldn't be surprised if some deals make it through. I am a big fan of resale but not of buying very small packages. IMO it only makes sense to buy retail in general when one is set on a specific options, willing to pay more for it regardless and the price difference between resale and retail is small. For a very small % the pass discounts will pay for a retail purchase as long as it's around the minimum to qualify. Personally I'd want a break even of 7 years or less on the perks, mainly the pass discount, since these are not guaranteed perks. That may change as more resorts are added and they tweak their retail vs resale differentials.
Annual pass discount doesn’t matter for me, if I go once a year that’s a lot, twice a year is rare and never for a full week. Usually 4-5 nights at a time. A smaller contract for hard to get weeks in RCI and exchange in RCI for the second time. I’ll be watching resales but haven’t seen anything reduced below what I’ve been seeing pre pandemic.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
The prices are not that much lower and some, such as AKV, appear to be holding steady. Smaller contracts still go for substantially more than large ones. Those in the know say that DVC is not actively exercising ROFR--maybe once in a blue moon, if at all. There's a robust resale market thru brokers with high demand, unlike most other TS, which helps prevent major fire sales. Wish I could say the same for my summer beach week, which has almost zero resale value.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The prices are not that much lower and some, such as AKV, appear to be holding steady. Smaller contracts still go for substantially more than large ones. Those in the know say that DVC is not actively exercising ROFR--maybe once in a blue moon, if at all. There's a robust resale market thru brokers with high demand, unlike most other TS, which helps prevent major fire sales. Wish I could say the same for my summer beach week, which has almost zero resale value.
I’ve thought about HHI or Vero Beach since I’d most likely never stay in SSR if I purchased there. There have been many dates available in RCI for the times I go. If I can’t get a date with DVC there is always RCI or MVC through interval. Never an issue with a place to stay in Orlando.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I assume you mean there's plenty of RCI SSR, as there's no DVC HH or VB thru RCI. I got a 2BR 4th of July week at DVC HH in 2013 via RCI--that was an awesome trade! HH and VB have higher annual dues. But, for a smaller contract, it doesn't really matter. I have a small DVC HH contract that we used to supplement our fixed HHI week. Worked great. Now we just use those DVC HH points at 7 months for WDW.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I assume you mean there's plenty of RCI SSR, as there's no DVC HH or VB thru RCI. I got a 2BR 4th of July week at DVC HH in 2013 via RCI--that was an awesome trade! HH and VB have higher annual dues. But, for a smaller contract, it doesn't really matter. I have a small DVC HH contract that we used to supplement our fixed HHI week. Worked great. Now we just use those DVC HH points at 7 months for WDW.
Omg I just re read what I wrote, this is what happens when you do two things at once. If I purchased at Hilton head or Vero I’d never book a year out to stay at those resorts. Just like if I purchased at SSR as my home resort, I’d rarely ever book there a year out. I’d almost always be making reservations at the 7 mo mark for other DVC resorts like boardwalk. so it wouldn’t really matter what my home resort is in DVC i guess. So far with RCI I see plenty of SSR so I can always stay there for last minute trips when availability pops up. I can always use RCI as the fall back and try to get boardwalk for better planned trips with DVC. Or I can just rent from you lol.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Annual pass discount doesn’t matter for me, if I go once a year that’s a lot, twice a year is rare and never for a full week. Usually 4-5 nights at a time. A smaller contract for hard to get weeks in RCI and exchange in RCI for the second time. I’ll be watching resales but haven’t seen anything reduced below what I’ve been seeing pre pandemic.
If you wouldn't get value from the perks, and the pass discount is the only one with any real monetary value, then buy resale. There are other limitations like not being able to book Riviera and likely new resorts but this is minimal IMO. Also, don't let the listing prices scare you, they probably won't come down much but that shouldn't keep you from offering lower. At least one of the larger resale sites tends to artificially prop up prices as well. They've refused to list lower priced listings and refused to present lower offers without written direction from the member,
I’ve thought about HHI or Vero Beach since I’d most likely never stay in SSR if I purchased there. There have been many dates available in RCI for the times I go. If I can’t get a date with DVC there is always RCI or MVC through interval. Never an issue with a place to stay in Orlando.
Long term HHI & VB will be more expensive than owning on property for SSR, BLT & AKV (in that order of long term costs) at least and will not give one an 11 month window to book at WDW. One way to use points in this situation is to book, look for an exchange then rebook or rent those points. If so, UY is of paramount importance to give one as much time to rebook or rent as possible.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you wouldn't get value from the perks, and the pass discount is the only one with any real monetary value, then buy resale. There are other limitations like not being able to book Riviera and likely new resorts but this is minimal IMO. Also, don't let the listing prices scare you, they probably won't come down much but that shouldn't keep you from offering lower. At least one of the larger resale sites tends to artificially prop up prices as well. They've refused to list lower priced listings and refused to present lower offers without written direction from the member,
Long term HHI & VB will be more expensive than owning on property for SSR, BLT & AKV (in that order of long term costs) at least and will not give one an 11 month window to book at WDW. One way to use points in this situation is to book, look for an exchange then rebook or rent those points. If so, UY is of paramount importance to give one as much time to rebook or rent as possible.
Hmm interesting!! Refusing to list lower prices? Doesn’t sound like a resale site I’d want to deal with then. Any advice on best places to shop around would be great. I’m interested for a low buy in, possible a 100 point contract. I think that may be enough. Use every other year and combine points. That should be useful since I also have left over SSR units in RCI to fall back on last minute.

I’ve decided on Sept/Oct/Nov UY since I would most likely go food and wine festival in October then again in early December for holiday time

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting!! Refusing to list lower prices? Doesn’t sound like a resale site I’d want to deal with then. Any advice on best places to shop around would be great. I’m interested for a low buy in, possible a 100 point contract. I think that may be enough. Use every other year and combine points. That should be useful since I also have left over SSR units in RCI to fall back on last minute.

I’ve decided on Sept/Oct/Nov UY since I would most likely go food and wine festival in October then again in early December for holiday time
I haven't followed prices well enough the last couple of years to suggest a good price break. There are ROFR listings that may give you some help but still likely suggest prices are higher if they are falling. We saw them drop to half and ROFR go away completely with the 08/09 issue but it look some time as did real estate in general. I'd suggest you consider a slightly large amount if you do decide to buy. A larger contract will give you more options, more flexibility and ultimately give you access to a larger number of possible contracts. Also, a full sized contract tends to be less per point and in this situation there may be a larger than normal differential and more competitive market. What you don't want to do is buy 100 now and realize you needed more and have 2 closings for volume alone. The newer resorts are more points though there are ways to stretch points as well. Also for those that think they'll do studios, often this ends up not being the case routinely. Another alternative in your situation if you have sufficient knowledge and preferences of the resort is to target a higher end resort to plan to stay there most of the time. I do know that DVC has has some pretty good specials lately for retail so at least make sure you compare both just in case.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score

There is no November UY which you wouldn't want anyway if you plan to regularly go in October. Sept or Oct would work well for Oct thru Dec stays.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
There is no November UY which you wouldn't want anyway if you plan to regularly go in October. Sept or Oct would work well for Oct thru Dec stays.
Really? No November UY? Why is that?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really? No November UY? Why is that?
They only have 8, Feb, March, April, June, August, Sept, Oct & Dec IIRC. Since the RTU expires 31 jan and OKW was slated to open around that time of the year in 2042, it's speculated that's the reason for no Jan. Otherwise my guess is they didn't need all of them but declared them into service as they needed points to sell. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.