• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Timeshare - Advise needed from TUG Gurus

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
If you are OK to stay any place and switch rooms, it might work. If you want more than 1-2 nights together or at specific resorts, esp. Fall-Dec, which are very popular with DVC, that'll be hard to book. If you said summer, I'd say it's usually fine.
DVC is very cost effective for studios. Between the RCi trade fee and $190 inbound DVC fee, that's the same as my annual fees for 50 points.
Good to know. I’d almost always want a 1 bedroom. I could do a studio and would reserve the DVC for less than a week. I’d prob stay there. 3-4 nights then add on my other timeshare units in a 2 bedroom at vistana or Marriott.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
3+ nights at the same resort with under 4 months Fall-Dec is dicey IMHO. I'd do a test for you, but this fall is not normal with Covid and lots canceling.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We have owned DVC for 16 years. Bought Saratoga Springs at $82 pp.. We have never stayed there. We have always been able to book other resorts at 7 months out. We have our 4th reservation coming up this fall at Aulanii in Hawaii. As long as you don't want to use your points towards cruises (bad use of points anyway), you would be better off buying resale. The other perks with being a direct owner aten't worth the difference in price.

PHXwyndham

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dolphin Cove - (Ex took Star Island lol)
The benefit of DVC over Wyndham is not having to juggle housekeeping credits and reservation transactions. It's mainly good if you want to go to Olrando for the weekend. Weekend stays are only about 30% more on points vs weekdays. I'll probably eventually get 100 SSR points so I can stay 1 night in a studio at a time and use it to visit Orlando on a Saturday night without having to drive an hour there and an hour back.

Right now I'm content with doing owner updates for 30,000 Wyndham reward points and getting 2 free nights at the Wyndham Garden next to Disney Springs for if I only want to stay 1 night in Orlando.

If I were a Wyndham owner that didn't live in FL, no way in hell would I spend the money on a DVC contract. I'd be content with Reunion, Bonnet Creek and SSR (via RCI exchange). It will cost you at least 3 times as much to stay a week in DVC as it would at Wyndham. The cheapest weekly DVC stay in a 1 bedroom is RCI, which ends up being about $1,000/week. Reunion and Bonnet Creek are frequently 35% off weekday stays for resale owners, making them the even cheaper option. Every year I stay at Bonnet Creek during week 22 (first week of summer vacation) for 5 nights at $55/night in a 1 bedroom deluxe. The cheapest DVC stay during that time is in an Old Key West studio using SSR points, which costs about $122 a night and you don't even get a kitchen.

Thanks for the response! and yes, I am a Wyndham owner that doesn't live in FL and when we go to Orlando my usual spot is Reunion.

Thanks again!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Thanks for the response! and yes, I am a Wyndham owner that doesn't live in FL and when we go to Orlando my usual spot is Reunion.

Thanks again!

Well you won't find a DVC unit that's equivalent to the Reunion 3 bedrooms in both size and luxury for anything under $3,500 a week. With my MF at Wyndham Grand Desert, I pay $1,050 a week tops for Reunion since it's usually 35% off in the summer. Like I said, 3x as much =(

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Hi All,

Probably this has been asked quite a bit, not sure.... but here it goes.

I've been looking at Disney for a while (for years). - I even went on the tour and the sales pitch was very aggressive. I don't know why the sales people get angry when we're just there to look (even when it was said a the start of the whole presentation) -

Hopefully someone can help me with the following questions:

1. The rooms we were shown in Orlando were quite small (1 bedroom) - I am a Wyndham owner and I usually stay in 2 - 3 bedroom villas.
2. Resale - If you buy resale do they treat you as a second class citizen like Wyndham does? - Wyndham always try to sell you more points during an "owner update" (sales pitch) - where they say I don't have certain things because I am a resale owner.
3. What do you guys recommend to start and try this out? - Something cheap is that's even remotely possible.
4. Disney vs Wyndham - I even said if I get more out of Disney I can get rid of my current contracts.
5. Contract date expiration with Disney - Is there something to watch for? - I've been a Wyndham member for 10+ years and the membership is perpetual.
6. Maintenance fees? - An average?

Hopefully I am not asking too much... Just looking to make the move if it's worth it.

Stay safe.

I noticed you are in Phx and own at Dolphin's Cove. We're also in Phx and USED to own at Dolphin's Cove, but now we own Grand Californian. If your plan is Disneyland, you really need to own there to go there. It's rare (and VERY expensive) to buy retail at that resort. If you buy resale, you won't be able to trade into any new disney resorts including Riviera and the new disneyland hotel DVC tower that they're trying to get passed in Anaheim. Do more research on disboards, rent some units from DVC members to try, and consider waiting to see what happens with the new DLR DVC tower.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I noticed you are in Phx and own at Dolphin's Cove. We're also in Phx and USED to own at Dolphin's Cove, but now we own Grand Californian. If your plan is Disneyland, you really need to own there to go there. It's rare (and VERY expensive) to buy retail at that resort. If you buy resale, you won't be able to trade into any new disney resorts after Riviera, including Reflections (near Wilderness in FL) and the new disneyland hotel DVC tower that they're trying to get passed in Anaheim. Do more research on disboards, rent some units from DVC members to try, and consider waiting to see what happens with the new DLR DVC tower.

Resale points purchased after Jan 2019 cannot trade into Riviera Resort and newer. Reflections has been cancelled. The DL DVC resort is still alive.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Resale points purchased after Jan 2019 cannot trade into Riviera Resort and newer. Reflections has been cancelled. The DL DVC resort is still alive.

Thank you, that what I meant in my head so I edited for clarity. I didn't realize reflections was cancelled though! Was that during this pandemic?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Thank you, that what I meant in my head so I edited for clarity. I didn't realize reflections was cancelled though! Was that during this pandemic?
Yes, a few weeks ago all mentions of Reflections on Disney websites quietly disappeared, and aerial photos showed grass being planted on cleared land. No announcements have been made by Disney so nothing is official, and speculation is rampant as to whether the project has been permanently canceled or simply put on hold until Riviera and the new Disneyland DVC are closer to being sold out. Reflections may be like Eagle Pines, the DVC resort that was announced and then never built, or like what started out as part of Pop Century, sat unfinished for 10 years, and was then re-envisioned and built as Art of Animation.

Mary Schulz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Aulani, The Flagship Resort
Hi All,

Probably this has been asked quite a bit, not sure.... but here it goes.

I've been looking at Disney for a while (for years). - I even went on the tour and the sales pitch was very aggressive. I don't know why the sales people get angry when we're just there to look (even when it was said a the start of the whole presentation) -

Hopefully someone can help me with the following questions:

1. The rooms we were shown in Orlando were quite small (1 bedroom) - I am a Wyndham owner and I usually stay in 2 - 3 bedroom villas.
2. Resale - If you buy resale do they treat you as a second class citizen like Wyndham does? - Wyndham always try to sell you more points during an "owner update" (sales pitch) - where they say I don't have certain things because I am a resale owner.
3. What do you guys recommend to start and try this out? - Something cheap is that's even remotely possible.
4. Disney vs Wyndham - I even said if I get more out of Disney I can get rid of my current contracts.
5. Contract date expiration with Disney - Is there something to watch for? - I've been a Wyndham member for 10+ years and the membership is perpetual.
6. Maintenance fees? - An average?

Hopefully I am not asking too much... Just looking to make the move if it's worth it.

Stay safe.
Hello,

Like you, I did a LOT of research before I bought into DVC. We already own a timeshare that we exchange through interval international and it’s nothing like owning a DVC membership.

We own at Aulani in Hawaii because:
A. We love hawaii
B. We love Disney
C. We love the 5 star experience

Before we bought, knowing THIS was the property we would make our home resort, we rented points through David’s for a 2 night stay last March to try it out. Cost is about 50% less than paying cash and we fell in love.

Went on the sales presentation, Andrea was super sweet, very knowledgeable and not in the least part aggressive. In fact, she left the room and we went to take photos of what she put in front of us, when she walked back in she caught us and told us we could keep everything, we were floored! We had been at a timeshare presentation in Maui days earlier and that was beyond aggressive! That guy was super angry we walked away, and I did knowing I was saving my $$ for Disney.

We knew we were going to buy, but how many points did we need? We took the information back to the pool, ordered lunch and reviewed how many points to spend a week at Aulani, which points-wise is equivalent to Grand Californian and Grand Floridian and we came up with 150pts for a studio.

yes, like you, we own a 2bdrm and mostly exchange for Marriott, in fact I am at Marriott Mountainside now in a 2bdrm and I love it. For us, the cost of a 2bdrm is too much so we went with a studio, family of 4. And it works, we have done it now twice and we are barely in the room. We even ship a cooler with home cooked meals so we can microwave during the week and spend more time enjoying and less time cooking :)

Timeshare end date I believe is 2062. I will be 82 so this will pass on to the kids.

we pay $105 per month in dues/maintenance fees on 150 points

there is a transient tax of about $9.82 per studio room night due at check out

yes, you can buy resale cheaper. You get locked out of exchanging into the newer resorts as they come online and no member cruise. The exchange for a cruise isn’t worth IMO, it is cheaper to pay cash.

we love having 11 month priority at our home resort because we go for Christmas, it’s our new family tradition. And you need priority for the rooms that cost the least points: studios, 1bdrm, 2bdrm and 3bdrm standard view.

Lastly, we get SO much time with the characters, that truly makes it magical. It’s not like the park experience or paid breakfasts where you get a few seconds, we actually spend the week with Moana, LILO & Stitch, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Chip n Dale, Donald & Daisy Duck, Duffy the Bear.... and Aunty’s Beach House seals the deal! The kids get to go play at a ridiculously awesome kids club while we go out for happy hour, win win for everyone.

yes, we pay a premium for this, but it is worth every penny for the exceptional memories and stress-free vacations we enjoy.

To sum up:
Rent, find the resort you love
Buy into DVC or resale
Enjoy!

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
If you plan on using points at DLR, you need to own there and book it right at 11 months out. I've owned DVC for 23 years (my initial points were $50 direct from Disney). The price they are asking for points direct is outrageous. I've only used points for DVC except for one four night cruise in 2000. The price to trade out is really high. Use DVC for DVC only.

We used to own two flex weeks at a Hilton affiliate, but sold them after we moved to where our points were located. We're on vacation all the time now and didn't need them.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I'd probably still buy resale at around $100 for AKV, SSR, OKW (extended), but not direct pricing. But, I also would never spend $400/night + on accommodations at WDW. $400+ would need to be fabulous place in Hawaii, London, Paris.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd probably still buy resale at around $100 for AKV, SSR, OKW (extended), but not direct pricing. But, I also would never spend $400/night + on accommodations at WDW. $400+ would need to be fabulous place in Hawaii, London, Paris.

We sold AKV 100 points partially stripped. We accepted $105 and Disney exercised ROFR. No clue what it will look like now.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Yes, a few weeks ago all mentions of Reflections on Disney websites quietly disappeared, and aerial photos showed grass being planted on cleared land. No announcements have been made by Disney so nothing is official, and speculation is rampant as to whether the project has been permanently canceled or simply put on hold until Riviera and the new Disneyland DVC are closer to being sold out. Reflections may be like Eagle Pines, the DVC resort that was announced and then never built, or like what started out as part of Pop Century, sat unfinished for 10 years, and was then re-envisioned and built as Art of Animation.
I was not a fan of Reflections. It just looked out of place when you compared it to wilderness lodge. I haven’t been keeping up with the latest DVC news....didn’t know they put that project aside. Not surprising though. We did buy at Riviera though, and have been members since 1997 with Boardwalk. Getting back to the original question, I would not hesitate to buy resale unless getting a discount on annual passes would be a benefit. But then again, these perks come and go...no guarantee.

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own DVC at the Grand Floridian and am also a Wyndham Gold owner. It's hard for me to know where to start. First I want to say I learn a system before I buy so I know how to buy and not get "second hand treatment". I also always buy from the secondary market and then purchase what I need to to be able to take advantage of the perks for buyers that buy direct from Disney/Wyndham. An example of this is I did my research and decided to purchase DVC at Grand Floridian so I started watching the DVC resale sights for what I was interested in. Unlike other systems the month you buy is very important. I ended up buying 325 pts resale from DVC by Resale. Then in order to not be deprived of any of the perks I bought 25 pts direct from Disney at Old Key West. This gives me 2 resorts that I have an early booking window at and can combine my points BECAUSE THEY WERE BOTH FEBRUARY POINTS (never buy from 2 separate months). This way my 325 points are not penalized as resale points. (I believe the minimum purchase now is 50 points). The Grand Floridian does not have smaller rooms than the Wyndhams....and Old Key West (because it was the original vacation club resort) has huge units. I have stayed in studios, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, lock-offs, and 3 bedroom grand villas. I have stayed at almost all of the DVC resorts and some do have smaller units vs. others but it is easy to determine that when you go onto the site and look at the unit specifics. They even give you the furniture layout. The DVC units are very high end for furnishings and finishes. I also own Marriott and have stayed at Hilton and Hyatt units and DVC is every bit as good. You can combine up to 3 years (need to educate yourself on how that works) of points at DVC. I have not found it hard to make my reservations at DVC home resort and then at 7 mo changing it to another resort that I am wanting to stay at. (Studios are the most popular and the hardest to get and you really do need to take the timelines seriously.....I make the reservation THE DAY I qualify to make them....if planning ahead is not your thing this may not work for you). I'M ASSUMING YOU GO TO DISNEY REGULARLY......IF YOU DO NOT IT PROBABLY ISN'T THE TIMESHARE I WOULD BUY.....THESE ARE POINTS THAT ARE PRETTY MUCH WASTED IF YOU JUST DEPOSIT THEM WITH RCI BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT GET AN EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE. I never trade my DVC points although you can rent them to people for a good rate. ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER IS THAT DVC CONTRACTS HAVE AN END DATE....ORIGINALLY 50 YEARS. Wyndham has no expiration date. I would not buy Riviera points because their ability to exchange into the other resorts are limited. Wyndham has a MUCH larger system and in fact is the largest system in the world. They also own RCI and there are a few perks with that as long as you buy a points contract vs. a weeks contract. I love my Wyndham points but consider them my "work horse" points because I have access to so many locations plus the ability to use my points directly into an RCI points exchange plus the ability to deposit my Wyndham points into RCI before they expire with Wyndham. This allows these points to be very versatile. I find both systems to be very good systems but the units at Wyndham are not the same caliber as Disney, Marriott, & Hyatt.....however, they are quite acceptable and some of them are very nice. I have stayed at Bonnett Creek twice (2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom). It is a very nice resort with large units and other amenities. You do get certain perks with Wyndham based on the level of ownership you have. Wyndham has a reputation of having a hard sales pitch and you have to be prepared if you attend one. I have never had a DVC hard sales pitch. I even had one tell me once that I didn't need any more DVC. I use these presentations sparingly based on information/questions that I want to ask....otherwise I don't attend. The Wyndham system is much more complicated than Disney and you need to make sure you know what you need to know before you buy. Both systems are good and have their strengths. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I ended up buying 325 pts resale from DVC by Resale. Then in order to not be deprived of any of the perks I bought 25 pts direct from Disney at Old Key West. This gives me 2 resorts that I have an early booking window at and can combine my points BECAUSE THEY WERE BOTH FEBRUARY POINTS (never buy from 2 separate months). This way my 325 points are not penalized as resale points. (I believe the minimum purchase now is 50 points).

Minimum is 100 points direct now to get full direct benefits.

If you sell your direct OKW points, you will lose blue card status.

Points in the same use year, retain their 11 month booking window. You cannot combine and book with non home resort points until the 7 month mark.

marciaheitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Minimum is 100 points direct now to get full direct benefits.

If you sell your direct OKW points, you will lose blue card status.

Points in the same use year, retain their 11 month booking window. You cannot combine and book with non home resort points until the 7 month mark.

I'll never sell my points....at least I can't envision it.....wow it really went up if it's 100 pts now. Yes you're right but you can lock in a reservation only at the home resort at 11 mo and only with those points (usually combined use years unless you have a lot of points) and at the 7 mo mark you can add onto that reservation with your other points or move the reservation to another resort. The whole reason to buy the OKW points was to get the full direct benefits without paying the full price for all the points I wanted.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
When we bought in the minimum was 160 points.

I'll never sell my points....at least I can't envision it.....wow it really went up if it's 100 pts now. Yes you're right but you can lock in a reservation only at the home resort at 11 mo and only with those points (usually combined use years unless you have a lot of points) and at the 7 mo mark you can add onto that reservation with your other points or move the reservation to another resort. The whole reason to buy the OKW points was to get the full direct benefits without paying the full price for all the points I wanted.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we bought in the minimum was 160 points.
The initial requirement to purchase was 230 then 210, 190 and so on. Now the minimum to purchase is 25 but to get benefits one must either be grandfathered in or have 100 qualified points but it's not a requirement to buy 100 otherwise. They have sold as many as 25 though normally it's been 50 or more to new buyers but it often varies with the home resort for the amount they will sell a new buyer.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I think only current owners can buy small point packages. If you are a new owner you will have to buy 100 points at a minimum.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I think only current owners can buy small point packages. If you are a new owner you will have to buy 100 points at a minimum.
Officially for new buyers it depends on the home resort. For most it is 100 currently but it's as low as 50 for some resorts including SSR & OKW. However, DVC has been known to bend it's own rules to make a sale when it comes to this requirement. And one can buy anything resale that's available. DVC sold some packets that were under 25 pts related to the BLT reallocation and a couple of other special situations.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Even resale? I thought that was the minimum DVC sells to new owners

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No you can buy anything resell that’s available
Makes sense. Haven’t seen an increase in resale listings yet. Not like it matters, I’m sure DVC. will exercise ROFR

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Haven’t seen an increase in resale listings yet. Not like it matters, I’m sure DVC. will exercise ROFR
I haven't been following ROFR lately but in past downturns they haven't, in some cases for very low prices. So I wouldn't be surprised if some deals make it through. I am a big fan of resale but not of buying very small packages. IMO it only makes sense to buy retail in general when one is set on a specific options, willing to pay more for it regardless and the price difference between resale and retail is small. For a very small % the pass discounts will pay for a retail purchase as long as it's around the minimum to qualify. Personally I'd want a break even of 7 years or less on the perks, mainly the pass discount, since these are not guaranteed perks. That may change as more resorts are added and they tweak their retail vs resale differentials.