• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney reveals more details of upcoming Skyliner

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Disney reveals more details of upcoming Skyliner
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Disney-reveals-more-details-of-upcoming-Skyliner

By Jamie Biesiada / USA / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / Sep 17, 2019

“When the new Disney Skyliner opens at Walt Disney World Resort later this month, nearly 300 gondolas will transport guests, up to 10 per cabin, to Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and three hotels.

At its opening on Sept. 29, the Skyliner will connect the parks with Disney's Art of Animation Resort, Disney's Pop Century Resort and Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. When Disney's Riviera Resort opens Dec. 16, it will also have a Skyliner stop.

First announced in July 2017, the completed Skyliner will have three lines and six miles of cable....”

F82FAD96-F69F-4368-8193-4BC58C6E1B95.jpeg

Photo: travelweekly.com

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I doubt most of us time-share people will ever ride this thing.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I doubt most of us time-share people will ever ride this thing.

I own at BWV and plan to ride it to Riviera for dinner in January. I can also see us sometimes riding it between DHS and Epcot in place of the boat - it might take longer, but it's certainly a change of scenery!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
My only questions is airflow. I read an article that there is no air conditioning and that there is minimal airflow (see picture). Those cars are going to become hot and sweaty! Then stinky!

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My only questions is airflow. I read an article that there is no air conditioning and that there is minimal airflow (see picture). Those cars are going to become hot and sweaty! Then stinky!

I haven’t ridden yet, but reports from those who have indicate the air flow is very good via the floor vents and louvered windows - as long as the gondola keeps moving!

There are diagrams and videos if you search this thread from the DISboards: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...n-system-read-post-1-updated-9-23-19.3578988/

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

if these "cars" aren't air conditioned then a lot of folks will not want to ride them during those extremely hot days!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I'm still not clear on how these things go from station to station. In other words, if I want to travel from DHS to EPCOT, do I have to change cars? How many times? Where do you ride through, and where do you have to get off? Is it one continuous loop?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm still not clear on how these things go from station to station. In other words, if I want to travel from DHS to EPCOT, do I have to change cars? How many times? Where do you ride through, and where do you have to get off? Is it one continuous loop?

From DHS to Epcot you’ll change once, at Caribbean Beach Resort. From DHS to CBR is a direct trip, about 4-5 minutes. From CBR you’ll go through the Riviera station but stay in your gondola to continue on to Epcot. That stretch (CBR - Epcot) is about 10 minutes. Total time DHS to Epcot is estimated at 20 minutes depending on connection time at CBR, so potentially the same time or quicker than the boat.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Here are a couple YouTube videos (and there are more online) that show what it's like from inside the Skyliner:

Disney Skyliner POV - Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort to Disney's Riviera Resort and Epcot
Disney Skyliner POV - Disney's Art of Animation/Pop Century Resorts to Caribbean Beach Resort

This image above is labeled incorrectly. Riviera is actually located north of Caribbean Beach Resort. Here's the ground map from Disney's website:
upload_2019-9-27_11-17-42.png

upload_2019-9-27_11-21-31.png

In Disney's map above, blue point #1 is CBR, blue points #2 & #3 are Riviera. There are apparently two walkways up to the Riviera station, depending on which way you will travel, just as there at the TTC & MK monorail stations.

CBR is the central station connecting all three routes. From CBR, you may take a direct ride South to POP/Anim, West to DHS, or North to Riviera/Epcot. When riding from CBR to Epcot, you will pass through the Riviera station without getting off the gondola, though the gondola doors will open briefly as you slowly pass through the station. So there is no more than one change of gondola to make any trip between two destinations. This can be viewed on the above linked videos. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney World's new Skyliner cable-car system strands passengers: 'It's just a nightmare'
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/06/disney-world-skyliner-strands-passengers/3890059002/

By John Bacon, USA TODAY / Published Oct. 6, 2019 / Updated Oct. 7, 2019

“Riders on Walt Disney World's new aerial cable car system were stranded for hours Saturday night when one of the Skyliner cars became stuck in the air, the company said.

"One of three Disney Skyliner routes experienced an unexpected downtime Saturday evening," Disney said in a statement. "As a result, Skyliner will be closed while we look into the details surrounding this downtime."

The company said no injuries were reported and that it was working with each guest "regarding impacts to their visit with us." The Sky[liner] system opened a week ago.

It was not immediately clear how many riders were stuck. Photos on Twitter showed a few yellow cars jumbled together along a platform.

"What a NIGHT LOL that was my first and last ride on the skyliner, 3 hours 20 min is enough for me," tweeted @PalmerEmmie....”
https://twitter.com/Waltspark/status/1180664784666185728
Tweet and photo by @Waltspark:
“The gondolas have officially crashed! Guest are being evacuated now. Guest have been stuck for hours! No word if guest were in the gondolas that crashed.”

10:03 PM - Oct 5, 2019

Attachments

• 0CE9EBC5-4041-49FE-84D2-9FCEC29BCDBA.jpeg
    0CE9EBC5-4041-49FE-84D2-9FCEC29BCDBA.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 35

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
They should call it "The Scary Adventure." That was the old name for Snow White's ride, which I still love.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Unbelievable! I read about this nightmare in the newspaper today. I heard from a colleague who had just gotten back from Disney World (who did not ride it) that they were offering 3 day park passes as compensation to those that were "stuck" on the gondolas for hours. No word on those involved in the crash. Just awful and what a PR nightmare!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It's not like Disney to have glitches like that. Usually the rides are tested extensively.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Very disturbing. I'd never heard that this has happened at other locations with these gondolas. Makes me hesitate even more to try it on a hot day. Can't imagine sitting there for 2+ hours in heat, especially with kids. Whew!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
It's not like Disney to have glitches like that. Usually the rides are tested extensively.
I don't know about that - how many people have been killed in monorail crashes? More than you care to know.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Mr. Toad's wild ride updated.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Skyliner reopens with modified hours after stranding passengers last week
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2019/10/14/disney-skyliner-reopens-modified-schedule/3973378002/

By David Oliver / USA TODAY/ usatoday.com / Oct. 14, 2019

“Disney's Skyliner is up and running again with modified service after the new aerial cable car system stranded passengers for hours the night of Oct. 5.

"Beginning today, guests may travel aboard Disney Skyliner from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.," reads an update on Walt Disney World Resort's Skyliner landing page.

However, on Wednesday, the Disney Hollywood Studios line won't be available, though the other two lines will operate from 1 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. On Thursday and Friday, all lines will operate from 1 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

"Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner," Thomas Smith, editorial content director at Disney Parks, wrote in a blog post on Monday....”

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure I will try it. Not during a hot summer day - but I am not usually there during that time. Might be a first and last but won't know until I try it. Hopefully no more incidences too or I am out.

I also do not like to ride the monorail for the same reason/lack of ac. It gets stuck and there is no air in there. I feel like I am suffocating. Also, always use the restroom regardless on how long/short the ride is. The only thing that I feel better about between the two is that at least the monorail is attached to something below me and not hanging off a wire like the gondolas.

Not sure if we will get a chance to try it in a few weeks (we are staying at BCV) but definitely in March. Have an ADR for Topplino at the Riviera.

Lisa P

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
It's been reopened for limited hours and with changes made to the intercom system. Still don't think I'd try it on a hot day. :cool:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
My wife and I just got back from a week at Disney, primarily to enjoy the Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT, and to see the new Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios. The first day, we made the mistake of parking at EPCOT. The front of that park is so torn up, they don't even advise riding the tram because it doesn't really get you close to the gate. The walk from the parking lot just to get to the front gate was ridiculous. When we went to Hollywood studios, the tram took us right to the security entrance, which is right next to the Skyliner Terminal. From then on, we parked at Hollywood Studios and rode the boat or skyliner to EPCOT. MUCH BETTER, since we are only going to World Showcase, and not Future World.