• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney parks and resorts closed until further notice

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be fine with that. Everyone sharing equally. It's very unfair to owners who had reservations who missed baking deadlines to not be able to bank late--that should not upset the balance--they could have banked those points. That's different from allowing an extra year of banking--which many owners need (possibly me included), who will lose points because parks are closed during their reservations using already banked points.
Everyone is sharing the burden and the reality is there is no 100% equal. The question is where is the balance. IMO the closer they are to sticking to their rules the better off we all are in the long run.
I suspect after reopening and perhaps through the next year that occupancy at non DVC resorts will be less than 100%. Perhaps considerably less. Didn't they close certain resorts after 911? They could assign points to these resorts for the different room types. Mostly just hotel rooms. They could then allow DVC owners to book at non DVC properties in to this inventory that would otherwise go unsold as cash reservations. It isn't like they would be renting these units out for cash anyway. Though there is a cost associated with running these resorts for "non paying" guests. Though I would think Disney would just be happy to get people back?
DVC would have to pay cash for those rooms but maybe Disney (non DVC) could give them a discounted rate. This would only be applicable for qualified owners though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting people back IMO will be challenging over the short run. People will now be afraid to be in packed venues for awhile. They may need to hand out free masks, hand sanitizer just to alleviate the fear. That said, a vaccine would change the entire ball game. Let’s hope a vaccine comes soon because that would stop the fear and have places like Disney go back to normal ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't believe there have historically been any new vaccines under an 18 month time frame. The swine flu was 5 or 6 months I believe but it really wasn't a new vaccine. I wouldn't be surprised if this one was under 18 months given they have one in human trials already (skipping the animal trials) and several other companies are working on vaccines with a track record of previous work on SARS/MERS vaccine options. Still I think 6 months is extremely optimistic and that assumes there are no problems with the vaccine during the trials. Then it's going to be a production and prioritization issue. Thus I think we're back to 18 months best case scenario for routine vaccine availability.

Medications, including vaccines, normally go from animal studies to Phase 1 (a few dozen people to make sure there are no major problems), Phase 2 (high risk area for infection with a few hundred people to see if it's effective and further look for problems) then Phase 3 which is just larger volume. Then it has to be approved by the FDA (for the US).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that dvc can charge extra for non-home resorts.
Some folks who’ve carefully read the multi-site POS think they can.
As I read the multi site POS I don't see that they could charge extra points for non home resort reservations but what they could do is charge a fee, change the booking windows (limited somewhere by the POS) and institute other fees. They could also create a VIP system. I also don't see any ability to differentiate reservations costs or booking windows between qualified and non qualified for the existing resorts other than Riviera.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I was holding out hope for a May 3rd soft reopening.....nope, all my dinner and fast pass reservations have disappeared from MDE. I’m guessing my resort reservations will be next. I’ll have close to 200 points going back into the system. It’s going to be tough getting reservations in studios in the sought after resorts for the next couple of years. We usually get a one bedroom in the higher point category....but can see this being more difficult too.

I heard they will be furloughing the member services people starting on Monday.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
With all the travel plans being cancelled, I am hoping I can go to Disneyland for my birthday in June... I also have the flex pass and hope to be able to use it during the summer (since I will probably have to cancel my trip to Europe in mid july) I expect once open people in Socal with the passes will go to Disneyland especially if the school will remain closed. Right now LA said they are closing summer school. What are people going to do at home with the kids until august?? I am sure they are working hard at different scenarios and strategies to re-open ..Let's see.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I was holding out hope for a May 3rd soft reopening.....nope, all my dinner and fast pass reservations have disappeared from MDE. I’m guessing my resort reservations will be next. I’ll have close to 200 points going back into the system. It’s going to be tough getting reservations in studios in the sought after resorts for the next couple of years. We usually get a one bedroom in the higher point category....but can see this being more difficult too.

I heard they will be furloughing the member services people starting on Monday.
Where did you hear member services people are being furloughed on Monday? I cannot find news of this.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I don’t do Facebook, but a DVC friend of mine does. I guess there are a few DVC Facebook pages. She’s the one that told me to check my MDE to see if my fast passes are there. She also said people posted that they were talking with some member services people and were told about the furlough. I did get an email from Disney Destinations about my cancelled dinner reservations, but not about my cancelled fast passes. My DVC resort reservations are still showing, but if I can’t go to the parks I probably won’t want to go if the resorts are still open. Then again......maybe they will do a soft reopening and won’t be doing fast passes if there is no need to because of crowd levels. I just don’t know. Universal is apparently officially closed until May 28. And I know the governor of Orange County and the governor of the state of Florida are trying to get some kind of restart going.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Any word on when resorts may be opening? Mid June a possibility?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any word on when resorts may be opening? Mid June a possibility?
No date yet, but given that Universal will open to the public on June 5th, Sea World will open in early - mid June, I would think that Disney will be open towards the end of June or July 1st. I am also tempted to book those cheap DVC exchanges using RCI points in mid June, and it could be worth a flyer, but I think there is a strong possibility you will have to cancel.

Fortunately, you can cancel until June 15th and get your points back and a credit for the exchange fee that is good as long as you use it by December 31st.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
No date yet, but given that Universal will open to the public on June 5th, Sea World will open in early - mid June, I would think that Disney will be open towards the end of June or July 1st. I am also tempted to book those cheap DVC exchanges using RCI points in mid June, and it could be worth a flyer, but I think there is a strong possibility you will have to cancel.

Fortunately, you can cancel until June 15th and get your points back and a credit for the exchange fee that is good as long as you use it by December 31st.
I doubt I’ll be able to use the exchange by the 31st at this point. I was thinking the same, take a chance and book. But i may just do a Marriott mid June for pools and relaxation OR Aruba!

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Legoland is opening June 1 so surely to goodness DVC and Disney will announce something soon. We cancelled our DVC exchange for June and booked Marriott Cypress Harbour instead (Marriott has been way more transparent to be able to plan).

nomoretslt

Reaction score
UniverSal Orlando will be opening June 1st...for employees and special guests....and then some annual pass holders and then general public on June 5th. However, I just read that their resort hotels will still be closed. Disney will be presenting their reopening plan to the Orange County task force Monday or Tuesday I believe. More logistics for Disney as there are so many on site resorts. I’m thinking June 15 for Disney to start their slow reopening. I check out Fox35orlando to keep up with what’s going on down there. I do wish DVC would give better updates. But they’re probably being careful about what they say in case things don’t work out.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Due to Covid pandemic all the parks and resorts closed, but the company announced last month that the magic kingdom and animal kingdom would open for business on july11th.
And Epcot and the Studios open on the 15th. DVC resorts (except AKL Jambo) opened yesterday, and the other WDW resorts are scheduled to begin opening July 10, but in small groups spread from then until October.