• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney parks and resorts closed until further notice

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney announced yesterday that they will keep the parks and resorts closed until further notice.

No word from DVC but I assume the announcement covers them too.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 week stay April 19- May 3. The first week is AKV and the second week is SSR. I suppose I should cancel.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
The general announcement yesterday included the DVC resorts in terms of closure. DVC members received this email today containing updated DVC-specific information about cancelling reservations, returning points, etc.

Dear Members,
I know the last couple of weeks have been a challenge for all of us. As we navigate the rapidly changing COVID-19 environment, we continue to make decisions focused on the health and wellbeing of our Members, Guests and Cast Members. Today I want to share another update with you.
As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice. This closure affects all Disney Vacation Club properties, including Disney’s Vero Beach Resort, Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort and Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa.
During this temporary closure, it is our priority to continue providing you with helpful and efficient service, even as the majority of our Cast Members are working remotely, including those in Member Services and Member Accounting.
Until the decision is made as to when the resorts will reopen, all reservations scheduled for arrival during the closure time will be automatically cancelled by Disney Vacation Club on a week-by-week basis. Members do not need to cancel the reservation online or contact Member Services. In light of the unusual circumstances and to provide more flexibility, Disney Vacation Club established a temporary cancellation policy to supplement our existing cancellation rules. Details include:
· Vacation Points returned due to a cancellation of a resort reservation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year. This applies to all reservations checking in within the next 30 days.
· When a reservation involving Borrowed Points is cancelled, the Borrowed Points will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from. This applies to all reservations regardless of arrival date. Please allow up to 15 business days for this process to be completed.
The following existing cancellation rules continue to apply:
· Reservation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Collection Resort reservation will be returned as Reservation Points to the current Use Year.
· Reservations made with points Banked from the previous Use Year will be returned as Banked Points to the current Use Year.
· One-time use Points will be returned to the current Use Year as one-time use Points.
In addition, some Members may have questions about reservation cancellations involving Points that are set to expire soon. At this time, we are evaluating the banking and expiration policy and the use of certain Points impacted by the closures. As a part of our evaluation process, we need to be considerate of the impact any changes could have on future inventory availability for the Membership overall. A decision will be made when we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.
As we anticipate high call volume in the days ahead, we encourage you to use the Disney Vacation Club website for general information – and we ask that you contact Member Services only if you need assistance with an existing reservation. Any Member who would like to book a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation or modify an existing reservation may do so through the Member Online Booking Tool.
We realize that disruptions related to COVID-19 are altering your family’s vacation plans, and we thank you for your understanding during this unprecedented time. It is our commitment to stay focused on serving you with ongoing communication and updates.
We look forward to “welcoming you home” as soon as we can.

Stay well,
Terri Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak
To ensure the delivery of emails concerning Disney Vacation Club, to your inbox, please take a moment to add disneyvacationclub@mail.dvcmember.com to your email address book or safe list.
Please do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us, click here to email us.
If you would like to update your email or mailing address, click here to update your online Member profile or contact Member Services at (800) 800-9800 or (407) 566-3800.​
© Disney
CR04​
DVC-20-1529850​

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
I had a trip scheduled for april 4th i called to cancel because i want to book a reservation later this year. The points i had used were banked, current year and borrowed points. They put my points in the current year, even my borrowed points. They also stated that i will loose all my points up to my June 2019 contracts if i don't use them by May of this year because they were not banked. They weren't banked because they were allotted for my trip and had no way of banking them. The DVC rep. stated that this is the policy and there is nothing that she can do but will have her supervisor call me. So now i must wait until i hear from the supervisor. I know these are trying times but it doesn't seem fair, has anyone experienced this or had success in recovering all your points because of the park closure.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I had a trip scheduled for april 4th i called to cancel because i want to book a reservation later this year. The points i had used were banked, current year and borrowed points. They put my points in the current year, even my borrowed points. They also stated that i will loose all my points up to my June 2019 contracts if i don't use them by May of this year because they were not banked. They weren't banked because they were allotted for my trip and had no way of banking them. The DVC rep. stated that this is the policy and there is nothing that she can do but will have her supervisor call me. So now i must wait until i hear from the supervisor. I know these are trying times but it doesn't seem fair, has anyone experienced this or had success in recovering all your points because of the park closure.
The borrowed points are supposed to go back to the use year from which they came. That was an email I got this morning. It's a new policy for Covid 19 cancellations.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
Yes, I was going to call back but with the long wait times i will see if i get a call back from the supervisor tomorrow.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
FROM DVC: In addition, some Members may have questions about reservation cancellations involving Points that are set to expire soon. At this time, we are evaluating the banking and expiration policy and the use of certain Points impacted by the closures. As a part of our evaluation process, we need to be considerate of the impact any changes could have on future inventory availability for the Membership overall. A decision will be made when we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.
They also stated that i will loose all my points up to my June 2019 contracts if i don't use them by May of this year because they were not banked. They weren't banked because they were allotted for my trip and had no way of banking them. The DVC rep. stated that this is the policy and there is nothing that she can do but will have her supervisor call me. So now i must wait until i hear from the supervisor.
At least DVC says they're aware and are evaluating what they can do, but can't make a final decision until they know how bad it is i.e. how long this goes on and how many points will be lost by the many members this will impact. Not all timeshare systems are doing that. So at least there's some hope for DVC members, even if they tell you they can't do anything right now.

Your borrowed points will go back to the year they were borrowed from - if they aren't already put back by the next time you talk to DVC, tell them and they can probably do it right then.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
I still haven't heard from DVC but called them. They said that the borrowed points will go back to the use year but the other points will still expire in June. I am still expecting a call from the supervisor and they also told me on the DVC website to contact them through email as they are reading every one sent in and my situation is something that they have not come across yet. I am still hoping this can be resolved as I want to start planning a trip for November.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still haven't heard from DVC but called them. They said that the borrowed points will go back to the use year but the other points will still expire in June. I am still expecting a call from the supervisor and they also told me on the DVC website to contact them through email as they are reading every one sent in and my situation is something that they have not come across yet. I am still hoping this can be resolved as I want to start planning a trip for November.
Historically they've never extended banked points, only allowed one to unborrow or bank late. Thus I suspect you'll lose those points that expire in June unless you can deposit in II or use them for a cash exchange assuming they qualify.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically they've never extended banked points, only allowed one to unborrow or bank late. Thus I suspect you'll lose those points that expire in June unless you can deposit in II or use them for a cash exchange assuming they qualify.
Yeah there is no way that they will extend expiring points. You do however have the option to bank them with RCI that way you still get a little use of them.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace

I am hopping they will extending the banking window as i could not bank them because they were allotted for my trip. Disney is treating this like i forgot to bank them which is not the case. I received them back because the park is closed and my trip was canceled. So in reality, if the park would have a reopening date of June 1, those points would expire without ever having a chance to use them within Disney. We are planning to reschedule for this November and would like to use those points for that trip.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am hopping they will extending the banking window as i could not bank them because they were allotted for my trip. Disney is treating this like i forgot to bank them which is not the case. I received them back because the park is closed and my trip was canceled. So in reality, if the park would have a reopening date of June 1, those points would expire without ever having a chance to use them within Disney. We are planning to reschedule for this November and would like to use those points for that trip.

I understand your frustration but in reality you had time to bank your points. I understand that the points was tied up for the reservation and no one could have known this would happen So that’s why you didn’t bank.

I have points which will expire 6/1 but they have been banked already so I’m losing around 50 points :-(

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically they have allowed late banking for points that could have been banked, I'd ask for a supervisor and keep trying. What they haven't done in the past that I'm aware of is to extend banked points.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Historically they have allowed late banking for points that could have been banked, I'd ask for a supervisor and keep trying. What they haven't done in the past that I'm aware of is to extend banked points.

Under normal circumstances you would be right. However now with corona DVC have stated they are currently enforcing their banking policy that means no banking late exceptions.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Under normal circumstances you would be right. However now with corona DVC have stated they are currently enforcing their banking policy that means no banking late exceptions.
As I understand it they've taken several different stances along the way with the current situations both allowing and not allowing banking, and as we know, DVC is nothing if not inconsistent. Thus my recommendations to speak to a supervisor still stands.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think restoring of the borrowed points from a reservation cancelled is extremely generous of DVC. As a timeshare owner, there is some risk - and while it may not sit well with everyone if we are subject to losing points, it's part of the risk of owning a timeshare.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally think restoring of the borrowed points from a reservation cancelled is extremely generous of DVC. As a timeshare owner, there is some risk - and while it may not sit well with everyone if we are subject to losing points, it's part of the risk of owning a timeshare.

I agree this is the risk of using your points at the very end of the Use Year. As an owner I have had ample time to use my points actually up to 2 years.

Sorry to say but owners should accept their losses and move on. After all it’s just a vacation and as an owner you know you will be back next year and the year after that. Honestly there should be more important things to worry about right now.

Full disclosure I have a reservation in May with a June UY which I will lose.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree in general though DVC has a formal hurricane policy and a history of allowing such flexibility on a case by case basis. I'd also point out that any flexibility they allow is on the back of the owners as a whole, not DVD. Ultimately some additional flexibility is reasonable but should not be expected. I'm reminded of when they stopped free valet parking and some insisted that they should continue it for free even though it would have had to be paid for by the owners as a whole and at full price, entitlement thinking at it's worst.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Why aren't you all just throwing your points into RCI? That will add 2 years of use to them and you can just use the points to try out Hilton or Wyndham.

jbug423

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BLT Mayan Palace
I am still waiting to hear from a supervisor. As for my points, I received points June 1 and booked a trip a week later for this April 4th using those points and also borrowed points from 2020, The 2020 points were returned to 2020 use year but the 2019 points are the ones that are past the banking window in January and will expire this coming June. There was no way to bank these points because they were returned to me this past week due to the parks closing. I know i can deposit them into RCI and that is my last resort but i hope i am able to use all my points for a possible trip in November.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting to hear from a supervisor. As for my points, I received points June 1 and booked a trip a week later for this April 4th using those points and also borrowed points from 2020, The 2020 points were returned to 2020 use year but the 2019 points are the ones that are past the banking window in January and will expire this coming June. There was no way to bank these points because they were returned to me this past week due to the parks closing. I know i can deposit them into RCI and that is my last resort but i hope i am able to use all my points for a possible trip in November.
You just gave me an idea. I have some points that were banked from 2019-2020. I can’t rebank them and I’ll lose them. Now I’ll deposit them into RCI rather than lose them. Disney has refused to address the issue of banked or borrowed points.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Now I’ll deposit them into RCI rather than lose them. Disney has refused to address the issue of banked or borrowed points.
DVC has resolved the borrowed points issue - they go back into their original use year. But for banked points and current use year points which have passed their banking deadline at this point RCI is indeed the only option.

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy

Until the decision is made as to when the Resorts will reopen, all reservations scheduled for arrival during the closure time will be automatically cancelled by Disney Vacation Club on a week-by-week basis. Members do not need to cancel the reservation online or contact Member Services.

Vacation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Resort reservation will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to the current Use Year. This applies to all reservations checking in within the next 30 days. When a reservation involving Borrowed Points is cancelled, the Borrowed Points will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from. This applies to all reservations regardless of arrival date. Please allow up to 15 business days for this process to be completed. Reservation Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Collection or a Concierge Collection reservation will be returned as Reservation Points in the current use year.

Some Members may have questions about reservation cancellations involving Points that are set to expire soon. At this time, we are evaluating the banking and expiration policy and the use of certain Points impacted by the closures. As a part of our evaluation process, we need to be considerate of the impact any changes could have on future inventory availability for the Membership overall. A decision will be made when we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
In this past year, I used my Wyndham points to stay at SSR and also spent time at Wyndham's Daytona Ocean Walk. My 5 year old liked Ocean Walk more than SSR. There is a water park across the street that is a 5 min walk from your room and has go karts, an arcade and minigolf. The $125 season pass covers the entire trip. There is a movie theater on property with a few restaurants. Movies are 1/2 priced on Tuesdays. There is also a really good taffy shop on the boardwalk (Zenos) as well as a Coldstone. The pier has a Joe's Crab Shack on it and offers 360 degree ocean views from inside the restaurant. On site, there is a lazy river, childrens water feature and water slide. A dunkin donuts is also a 5 min walk. If you have older kids, there's a HUGE sligshot. My daughter loved watching people get catapaulted (on the slingshot) from our balcony at night. Most of the rooms are either ocean view or ocean front and the towers go up to 25 floors to give you awesome views.

This vacation I am describing only cost me $60 a night for the 5 nights I was there in a 1 bedroom deluxe using my Wyndham membership. Depositing into RCI may not be the best way to spend points, but on the bright side it gives you the ability to try out other systems and see if buying into them is right for you (resale of course). Wyndham, even though their sales practices are cut throat, extended the point deposit date and allowed everyone (even resale) to bank them for FREE. They also gave us back our reservation transactions. They've also never restricted where resale points can stay within their club. We just don't get developer benefits. The same can be said with Hilton. To me Disney is greedier than Wyndham/Hilton and it has left a sour taste.