• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney: Old Key West Extending Land Lease By 15 Years: Meeting Today Sept 24, 2007

Seth Nock

Reaction score
THE PROPOSAL:

Disney had a special meeting to announce that they will be extending the land lease from the Jan 31, 2042 to Jan 31, 2057. Current owners can choose to opt in or opt out. Should an owner choose to opt in, there is $25 per point extension fee. This fee is reduced to $15 per point if the fee is paid by Feb 29, 2008. If they choose to opt out, there ownership will end Jan 31, 2042.

THE MEETING:

The meeting began at 2:05 pm. It lasted for about an hour. There were 53 owners/owner family members representing about 30 membership families. There were about 20 Disney staff members. They outlined the offering and accepted questions.

PAYMENT:

Owners can choose to pay the "assessment" in 1 lump sum or finance it @ Disney's member financing rates. All owners will be given a $30 credit on their maintenance fees to cover the cost of any notaries that they must get. They will also be sent a Lithograph to commemorate the "extension event."

NEW DEVELOPER PRICING:

Developer pricing is changing from $92/ point for contracts ending in 2042 to $96/ point for contracts ending in 2057. I would hate to have paid $92 and now have to fork over another $15/point!

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

They will also be sent a Lithograph to commemorate the "extension event."

NEW DEVELOPER PRICING:

Developer pricing is changing from $92/ point for contracts ending in 2042 to $96/ point for contracts ending in 2057. I would hate to have paid $92 and now have to fork over another $15/point!

Will it commemorate OKW owners loosing $6pp???

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Milk the owners. In this case renters. Disney follows the pack.

THE PROPOSAL:
PAYMENT:

Owners can choose to pay the "assessment" in 1 lump sum or finance it @ Disney's member financing rates. All owners will be given a $30 credit on their maintenance fees to cover the cost of any notaries that they must get. They will also be sent a Lithograph to commemorate the "extension event."

NEW DEVELOPER PRICING:

And there were those that thought Disney was different than the typical, money grubbing timeshare sales operation. Welcome to the world of long term lease! Makes timeshare and used car sales look principled.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't this thread be inthe "Point Systems" forum? DVC is not a hotel-based timeshare system.
I would say that DVC is both a Points System and a hotel-based system. Disney owns quite a few hotel rooms, and most of the DVC resorts actually share grounds and services with a Disney hotel. I have often heard Disney described as a hotel-based system.

Seth, are you willing to speculate as to how this may affect the resale price of OKW points?

Seth Nock

Reaction score
I would say that DVC is both a Points System and a hotel-based system. Disney owns quite a few hotel rooms, and most of the DVC resorts actually share grounds and services with a Disney hotel. I have often heard Disney described as a hotel-based system.

Seth, are you willing to speculate as to how this may affect the resale price of OKW points?

My buyers and I have been debating the issue. I am under the belief that certain people will only buy the 2057 expiration date units, and others will want to save $.

The past sale prices for many of the units I was involved with of Saratoga Springs were about $81/point, Old Key West were about $69/point, Animal Kingdom were about 90/point, Beach Club were about $89/ point, Boardwalk were about $80/ point, Wilderness were about $78/ point Hilton Head were about $65/ point and Vero were about $60/ point. I am listing these prices, as most people are using higher figures for their calculations.

Based on these figures, I am guessing that Old Key West will be about $81/ point for 2057 expirations. Many of my buyers are guessing it will be roughly $77/point.

I am just questioning which will be the more desired contracts, as I don't know how to advise my owners.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read that the reason for the extension of OKW is two part. One to sell-off excess OKW inventory and two help give DVC to sell since SSR will reach "sell-out" status in the first quarter of 2008. The new buildings for AKL won't be open until 2009, same as for the recently announced DL California location.

I think the DVC was forced to offer the extension earlier then it had planned. There is still 35 years left on the orginal contracts! Most DVC buyers were not 21 years old when they bought. So I see this as only a resale benifit to DVC, not to the original OKW owners.