• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney OKW - New Thread, New Question

cdziuba

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of the biggest fans in the world of Old Key West, and am fortunate to be going back in May. This time, I'd like to be able to more easily spot the beautiful water birds (herons, egrets, ibises) that dwell on the grounds, from our balcony. Can anyone suggest a building/s with a good water view that we should request? Many thanks, Carol

Last edited:

Carl D

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of fun!
I wish I could help, but I'm not an OKW expert. I stick to the Wilderness Lodge stuff. ;)

Diane, Dean, and Spicey will have the scoop on OKW.

Enjoy your trip. We are also at VWL in May. :)

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Carol,

I also love Old Key West. It's got a peacefulness to it. I like all the pastel colors.

We stayed off of Millers Road by the quiet pool one year and had a good view of the water (we saw turtles and birds all week). I wish I could remember what building it was. I'm sure some others will chime in on suggestions.

We'll be at OKW in May, too. I can't wait. I'm hoping for either close to the Hospitality House or Building 55 or 56 back in the Southpoint area. I enjoy being by the quiet pool in the Southpoint area.

We like VWL in the fall and OKW in May (when we've just emerged from those tough Indiana winters).

dianeschlicht

TUG Member
Reaction score
The buildings along Miller's Road and those that border the canal 45,46, 55, 56, are great for birds and wildlife. We also had lots of the long legged types like egrets and cranes behind building 15 in January. There was a cormarant that dried himself off every morning by sitting on the areator for the pond.

cdziuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies. I have my map of OKW, now I can better plan for what to request. This may make you laugh, especially if you love Disney....we stayed at Wilderness Lodge last month, really enjoyed it, yet every time we passed OKW, I realized how much I missed it. So when we went one morning to Olivia's for breakfast and stopped at the Security Booth on the way in, my husband said to the guard "You could really make my wife's day by saying 'Welcome Home' to her", and when the guard said Welcome Home, I was so happy! Great resort, beautiful rooms, lush landscaping, gorgeous architecture....it's a real blessing to know we're staying there again in a few short months. Carol

dianeschlicht

TUG Member
Reaction score
cdziuba said:
Thanks so much for the replies. I have my map of OKW, now I can better plan for what to request. This may make you laugh, especially if you love Disney....we stayed at Wilderness Lodge last month, really enjoyed it, yet every time we passed OKW, I realized how much I missed it. So when we went one morning to Olivia's for breakfast and stopped at the Security Booth on the way in, my husband said to the guard "You could really make my wife's day by saying 'Welcome Home' to her", and when the guard said Welcome Home, I was so happy! Great resort, beautiful rooms, lush landscaping, gorgeous architecture....it's a real blessing to know we're staying there again in a few short months. Carol
Do you own at OKW, or do you just trade in? We have owned at OKW for 9 years and just love it too! We find almost all other timeshare accommodations small in comparison.

cdziuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Diane, we trade in during off-season....Jan, May, Sept. I'm mystified by the other thread, as we have been 100% satisifed, even wowed, at the cleanliness of the unit and property each time we've stayed there. Different strokes, as they say.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
I like Building 18 & 55 - I just water views too!!!

that is definitely my favorite view at OKW.

I hate the golf view...... :rolleyes:

although the golf views also get a good share of the birds.....

dianeschlicht

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, I should tell you what happened once when my hubby was trying to feed one of the birds on our balcony once. He held the seeds in his flat palm, and the bird came up and ate out of his hand. Then he got stupid and tried to pick the bird up. Needless to say, the bird got even, because he bit a finger and caused a pretty good slice in it! :D

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
cdziuba said:
Hi Diane, we trade in during off-season....Jan, May, Sept. I'm mystified by the other thread, as we have been 100% satisifed, even wowed, at the cleanliness of the unit and property each time we've stayed there. Different strokes, as they say.
My wife mom and I were down for a week in Jan using an exchange. My wife and I were talking about how much we liked OKW. It just feels comfortable and calming to us. I know that's hard to understand for many and especially coming from one who's almost always fact and rule oriented and very calculating. But it is my belief that what makes a stay at any resort is usually the little things and intangibles. Every now and then something big will happen but that's the exception at most resorts.

The bird issue reminds me of a duck we saw in 1999. Had only one leg and really made many of our group feel sorry for him so they fed him. One of the employees essentially said he was a con artist and had learned to play it up and that he was not nearly as helpless as he acted at times.

dianeschlicht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean said:
My wife mom and I were down for a week in Jan using an exchange. My wife and I were talking about how much we liked OKW. It just feels comfortable and calming to us. I know that's hard to understand for many and especially coming from one who's almost always fact and rule oriented and very calculating. But it is my belief that what makes a stay at any resort is usually the little things and intangibles. Every now and then something big will happen but that's the exception at most resorts.

The bird issue reminds me of a duck we saw in 1999. Had only one leg and really made many of our group feel sorry for him so they fed him. One of the employees essentially said he was a con artist and had learned to play it up and that he was not nearly as helpless as he acted at times.
Dean, one of the things we love about OKW is the natural setting and the wildlife. We live in a very rural suburban area, so I am pretty in tune with nature, and love having that to look at and interact with on vacation. It's one of the reasons we like OKW so much too. I don't want to vacation like I am in a city.