• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney just announced Star Wars themed lands in Orlando and Anaheim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Looks amazing!
Today at Disney's D23 Expo, CEO Bob Iger made a huge announcement: the company is creating an enormous Star Wars-themed land for its parks. There will be two different parks, one at Disneyland in Anaheim, California and another in Orlando, Florida where Disney World is located. Each will be made up of 14 acres — what Iger described as the largest single themed expansion in the company's history.

MORE: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/15/9158739/star-wars-land-disneyland-d23

SW-themepark1.jpg

933267_1280x720.jpg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting. 14 acres isn't enough for a park of its own. Perhaps they will add this to Hollywood Studios in Orlando to prop up that park?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Interesting. 14 acres isn't enough for a park of its own. Perhaps they will add this to Hollywood Studios in Orlando to prop up that park?

It's not going to be a separate park, it's going to be a "land" within the parks. I didn't post them, but you can find maps posted online.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
DisneyWars!

Sent from my iPad

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
These lands will attract a lot of adults without families. A different market then they currently go after.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These lands will attract a lot of adults without families. A different market then they currently go after.

Agreed: my 20-something kids are really excited about it!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that Disney is upping the ante against Universal Studios and their Harry Potter themed lands. This type of competition is good for the guests, though perhaps not for their pocket books.

laurenb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas
I'm really excited about it! I am not a huge Star Wars fan, but I am a huge Disneyland fan and go 3-4 times per year. I LOVE the idea of having more adult oriented activities. So much fun!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Now that is a true reason to return to the Disney Park.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a star wars fan and with two young kids who have not visited Disney yet I would prefer that prices and attendance do not increase.

But if it helps to keep rooms occupied then I am all for it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
This big news. Chip and Company was there during the announcement. Chip is ecstatic as a big Disney and Star Wars fan. My son is salivating at the possibilities.

Avatarland at Animal Kingdom seems to be taking forever. I wonder how long Disney will take to add this new Star Wars area to both parks.

I guess Disneyland will be expanding into more of their parking lot area and tearing down surrounding businesses to make more parking. Hilarious. :rofl:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
This big news. Chip and Company was there during the announcement. Chip is ecstatic as a big Disney and Star Wars fan. My son is salivating at the possibilities.

Avatarland at Animal Kingdom seems to be taking forever. I wonder how long Disney will take to add this new Star Wars area to both parks.

I guess Disneyland will be expanding into more of their parking lot area and tearing down surrounding businesses to make more parking. Hilarious. :rofl:

I read that they will be using the Innovention building in Anaheim....good conversion of wasted space in my opinion. So it looks like a big chunk of Tomorrowland will now officially be Star Wars branded.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That Innoventions building used to be Carousel of Progress, Walt's own show, beginning to end. They should bring it back to Disneyland. It's the one thing Disneyland should have kept as a tribute to Walt but didn't. Walt would have wanted it to stay, and as long as people know Disney was the originator of the show, it would have flourished, but no, they took it out. Disneyworld is in danger of losing Carousel of Progress, and there is a movement to keep it. This is a sneak peak into the past for those who don't remember life without all of the modern-day conveniences. I would love to see Disney keep it for posterity's sake. The guy at the end burning the turkey was hilarious the first few times, but it's gotten old. They should change that last bit of the show.

Something else destined to go at Disneyworld is the People Mover, aka Tomorrowland Transportation Authority, or whatever they call it, because Disneyland took that one out too. I love the ride and hope they bring it back to Disneyland as a better version of itself. Seems to fit with the Star Wars theme, and it's in the same area. You never know. They never really took it all out of Disneyland.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
That Innoventions building used to be Carousel of Progress, Walt's own show, beginning to end. They should bring it back to Disneyland. It's the one thing Disneyland should have kept as a tribute to Walt but didn't. Walt would have wanted it to stay, and as long as people know Disney was the originator of the show, it would have flourished, but no, they took it out. Disneyworld is in danger of losing Carousel of Progress, and there is a movement to keep it. This is a sneak peak into the past for those who don't remember life without all of the modern-day conveniences. I would love to see Disney keep it for posterity's sake. The guy at the end burning the turkey was hilarious the first few times, but it's gotten old. They should change that last bit of the show.

Something else destined to go at Disneyworld is the People Mover, aka Tomorrowland Transportation Authority, or whatever they call it, because Disneyland took that one out too. I love the ride and hope they bring it back to Disneyland as a better version of itself. Seems to fit with the Star Wars theme, and it's in the same area. You never know. They never really took it all out of Disneyland.

I remember that, and I also miss the 360 degree film done to "America the Beautiful", whatever the name of that was.

And I'm still fuming that they yanked Country Bear Jamboree from DLand.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not a star wars fan and with two young kids who have not visited Disney yet I would prefer that prices and attendance do not increase.

But if it helps to keep rooms occupied then I am all for it.

I watched prices increase over just a few year period from $93ish for both California parks to now $99 for one and $155 for both. Prices will likely continue to increase regardless of improvements but I agree with DisneyWarsLand it will go up faster.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-651965-disneyland-day.html

Disney prices over the years

2000 - $41 and $43
2002 - $45
2003 - $47
2004 - $49.75
2005 - $53 and $56
2006 - $59 and $63
2007 - $66
2008 - $69
2009 - $72
2010 - $76
2011 - $80
2012 - $87
2013 - $92
2014 - $96
2015 - $99

Sent from my iPad

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched prices increase over just a few year period from $93ish for both California parks to now $99 for one and $155 for both. Prices will likely continue to increase regardless of improvements but I agree with DisneyWarsLand it will go up faster.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-651965-disneyland-day.html

Sent from my iPad

The problem is that they still haven't found their point of diminishing returns, and prices will go up until they do IMO.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The important comparison would be graphing ticket prices against gate counts.

Perhaps for Disney, but not for me and likely not for anyone on TUG. We care about what it costs to spend a day at Disney, not how much Disney earns nor how many people are there (though less people tends to make a much better day!).

Sent from my iPad

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Don't give them any ideas. I certainly don't want them turning Tomorrowland in to Star Wars Land. Though I think Tomorrowland needs a little innovation, but I think there would be a revolt if they dumped it for a Star Wars theme.

I think for Orlando, Star Wars makes sense in Hollywood Studios. They need to do something to turn that park around and this seems to be the right fit.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps for Disney, but not for me and likely not for anyone on TUG. We care about what it costs to spend a day at Disney, not how much Disney earns nor how many people are there (though less people tends to make a much better day!).

Sent from my iPad

I think you're missing my point.

Disney is a business, and like any business, they charge what the market will bear. They don't, and shouldn't, have any obligation to price their tickets charitably. If they are selling park-hoppers at $155, and you're still waiting in line 2 hours for the rides, there is enough demand to support that pricing. I would even argue that they are doing a public disservice by not charging more, to the point where crowds and lines are stomachable.

We have other entertainment options in SoCal and Orlando, and it's up to each of us as individuals to determine whether Disney is worth the fare for us.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis