• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney is doing away with Magical Express effective 1/1/2022

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Disney announced today that they are doing away with Magical Express effective 1/1/2022. As of this today they give no further details for alternatives.

This is very sad. Magical Express and their baggage service was one of the best incentive on staying on the property. Big lost to DVC members as well as resort guests.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I think there's a high speed train link from MCO to WDW coming???

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed. We have used it many times. Very convenient. Door to door/safe/in the bubble.

There is a train - Brightline(?) coming - I just hope it's safe and will remain safe. Loved ME if I was going down with just my daughter - any hours of the day/evening/night. Time will tell if we will use the train. Not sure how a family will juggle kids, luggage, strollers, etc. Might have to go back to renting a car when we fly.

Having our own car or renting a car has it's advantages too. We can visit Universal one year/perhaps SeaWorld too. It has been many years since we visited. We can shop at Publix and try a restaurant or two offsite.

Would definitely prefer ME - I would even be willing to pay a few $$ for the round trip.

Wondering if our dues paid for ME.

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
"Brightline has set a potential timetable for the completion of its Walt Disney World Resort connection. The Miami-based intercity rail provider in its November monthly ridership report said it wants to start revenue service on the connection during the second half of 2023." BizJournal Orlando

If correct, this is 1.5 to 2 years between DME ending and the train service beginning. Thankful that we normally drive to FL - this would really bother me if we used it when staying onsite. Also curious whether DVC dues will drop (or not increase) in 2022 to reflect this reduction in service. So many little things have changed over the years. At least there's still resort-to-park and park-to-park transportation.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
and i bet the $190 extra fee for RCI trades into DVC (for services like ME) won't go down either. That's too bad-it was very convenient. We're using it in 2021 for son to fly in a few days after us. I used it several times when flying solo with 3 kids.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
and i bet the $190 extra fee for RCI trades into DVC (for services like ME) won't go down either. That's too bad-it was very convenient. We're using it in 2021 for son to fly in a few days after us. I used it several times when flying solo with 3 kids.
The fee isn't for ME, parking, etc. It adds nothing you wouldn't get on any other stay. ME hasn't been there forever, visitors will have other options.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not used the service as we always drive but I wonder if its popularity has been dropping over the past few years because of ridesharing.

Eventually, driverless car tech will take over but that seems to be still more than a few years away.

Disney continuing take away benefits is a sad state of affairs. Perhaps they believe there will be so much pent-up demand for travel after the pandemic they won't have to do anything to keep the crowds coming.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I think there's a high speed train link from MCO to WDW coming???
I like that idea better. Although, I rent a car and drive everywhere on site.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney continuing take away benefits is a sad state of affairs.

Face it. All the big names continually modify their benefits to enhance their bottom lines to the detriment of their Owners. If you bought 10-15 or so years ago compare what you bought to what you have now. Also compare the level of Customer Service then to now...

George

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I guess keeping people in the Disney bubble isn't a priority for them now. That was a huge draw and one reason many opted to stay onsite. I think you may see a lot more people try offsite going forward. MDE brought people in and kept them trapped inside the disney ecosphere. That may change quite a bit if people start renting cars. I suspect the price of rideshares from MCO to Disney property will go up if there isn't an increase in supply drivers to meet the demans.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I wonder what will happen to the traffic around the resorts? Those busses transport thousands of people per day.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Bright house train is going to be an option. They already have a commuter train, but not that popular now due to Covid.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first reaction is that this was a short sighted move. The costs for providing the magical express have got to be quite expensive. However, it's a GREAT way for keeping families in the Disney bubble. With the Magical Express, families are locked into making all of their purchases at Disney and I wasn't sure why they would want to give that up.

My guess is that Disney is thinking that with Brightline they will get essentially the same thing and can shift the cost onto the consumer. I would be surprised if they don't figure out a way to make it easier for families coming in on the Brightline to Disney Springs station (i.e. luggage transfer).

As the parent of twin boys in car seats, the ability to leave our car seats at home was a major factor in deciding to go to Disney World next month.

If they don't do something to make it a little bit easier for families (and young families in particular), I think this will end up being a very short sighted move. If I have a rental car, you better believe I'm stocking up on stuff for quick breakfasts and snacks at a nearby grocery store to save potentially hundreds of dollars on snacks and small meals at the parks....maybe I am in the minority though.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I have a rental car, you better believe I'm stocking up on stuff for quick breakfasts and snacks at a nearby grocery store to save potentially hundreds of dollars on snacks and small meals at the parks....maybe I am in the minority though.
Totally! I think many people will end up doing this. It will be so easy to stop for a meal somewhere and to pick up items from a normal priced store. And, if people have a car at the resort, that will make eating more meals off property a lot easier, too.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We think that Disney has a year to announce new alternatives as does Mears, the company that provided DME services (and announced they’ll continue to provide services to the resort hotels). The Brightline train won’t be available for quite some time, definitely not in 2022 (and from what we read elsewhere, a start date in 2023 is optimistic). Disney’s official announcement gave strong mention to rideshare as an alternative, not just for MCO to/from WDW but on-site at WDW as well. We’re accustomed to driving to WDW but have enjoyed having DME when we fly, and I hope they’ll offer something that will provide everyone similar benefits in the future.

Edited to add link to official Disney announcement https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/01/a-look-ahead-at-walt-disney-world-resort/ and to Mears statement:https://wdwnt.com/2021/01/update-me...g-transportation-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they make that a DVC owner perk. That would bring buyers.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
My first reaction is that this was a short sighted move. The costs for providing the magical express have got to be quite expensive. However, it's a GREAT way for keeping families in the Disney bubble. With the Magical Express, families are locked into making all of their purchases at Disney and I wasn't sure why they would want to give that up.

My guess is that Disney is thinking that with Brightline they will get essentially the same thing and can shift the cost onto the consumer. I would be surprised if they don't figure out a way to make it easier for families coming in on the Brightline to Disney Springs station (i.e. luggage transfer).

As the parent of twin boys in car seats, the ability to leave our car seats at home was a major factor in deciding to go to Disney World next month.

If they don't do something to make it a little bit easier for families (and young families in particular), I think this will end up being a very short sighted move. If I have a rental car, you better believe I'm stocking up on stuff for quick breakfasts and snacks at a nearby grocery store to save potentially hundreds of dollars on snacks and small meals at the parks....maybe I am in the minority though.

The new train service is going to take a while to come online. (There are rumors that delays from their current timetable won't be a surprise.) I don't think that was much of a factor.

Most likely it is this simple:

1) Most people who tended to use DME before will continue to use the replacement services from Mears or ride-shares - but now they will pay their own way into being trapped inside the bubble. It will still be cheaper than renting a car.

2) Some of those former DME people may rent a car to stay onsite, but Disney will collect parking fees from these additional rental cars.

Disney saves money or Disney makes money. The Mouse wins. (Unless people decide that staying onsite is seriously overpriced...but that's not new. We'll see.)

(I am a cheapskate who stays onsite a little with DVC but supplements those stays with more offsite trips. I typically drive so I have rarely used DME. Breakfast groceries and snacks have been in my playbook for a long time...)

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney knows every place you go and every dime you spend. They have mountains of data from Magic Bands, credit cards and who knows what.

One of those big data computers probably found out that people who drive to Disney spend more per day than Magical Express users. Or the wealthy guests Disney covets don't bother with ME anyway.

The data may show that getting rid of ME will free up rooms for people who spend more.

Hopefully, Disney has something coming in a year to replace the service someone, as many counted on it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's also possible, if not likely, that Mears jacked up the price on a contract renewal and/or that Disney knew the train would be coming along in another year or 2 from when the service ends. Like the valet parking it's likely the contract is for 3-5 years.