• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Cruise Line and Fish Extenders

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, any of you DCL cruisers ever join Fish Extender groups?

We have in the past for all but one last minute cruise. It has been a few years since we have been on one (started going on RCCL instead) but we are planning on our next in a couple of months. I joined a FB fish extender group and I'm finding it a bit nuts. I never bought into the concept of big expensive gifts for this. When we started 10 years ago, things were simple: It was Easter, we gave out play-doh eggs for the kids. As time went along I upgraded a bit journals or pocket flashlights with the DCL logo that I made.

But now...holy moly, I am watching on FB the things people are giving and are worried it won't "be enough". I wonder how many people get caught up in what they see online and go overboard and then realize what they get is mostly dollar store stuff.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I did it once. Don't plan to ever do it again. Nuts is a good word. Why did I put myself through such stress? Ugh.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]
Thanks Karen for the explanation. This is unlike what I was envisioning, and since a Disney cruise is just about the furthest thing we would be likely to take, I'll just crawl back in my shell.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have done it. We made our own extender from dcl lanyards sewn on a red felt christmas card holder. My teens enjoyed it. We gave appropriate disney themed gifts. One year dd painted everyone’s fav character on a 5x7 canvas (she’s a good artist) and we gave a Disney pin or photo frame, etc. $5pp is our limit.
we got everything from cheap Cotten scarves on Canada day from Canadians (which was super fun) to nice Coleman water bottles with Mickey stickers on them. We got mini first aid kits with single packets of Tylenol bandaids, key chains.
A lot of the stuff we never used again. But it’s fun and dd likes planning what to make and give. If I stressed about it, I’d just ditch it. And if someone wants to give a $$ gift then fine, but we’re still having a $5 limit pp. agree with lots of dollar store stuff. I regift and give it out at Halloween sometimes.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been on 6 Disney cruises and never did a fish extenders. To me, as soon I think about having to carry anything extra - it's game over. I travel very light and I really don't want random gifts that I'll just throw out, either.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know what this is. Basically, join a group online, hang a bag on your "fish" outside your cabin door and the people in the group all gift items to each other.

The kids do love going back to their cabin and checking for "goodies". I wish our upcoming cruise had a kids only group. I really don't want/need anything that will come my way. I typically leave most of the stuff for the cabin steward with a note to keep or toss.

The next one I am on, there are all sorts of groups:
Fish Extender
Craft Beer Exchange
Pin Trading
Pixie Dust

I was lucky, we just came back from WDW and I hit the outlet store.
I ended up with packs of twistable crayons for $3
Mickey patch sets for $1
Disney plastic reusable straw sets for $2

All easily packable and I'm done.

Hemlock65

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t be interested in something like this as I’m not organized enough to plan/order gifts... However for those who love this kind of thing, AliExpress has some great Disney trinkets for super cheap.