• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney Aulani and ROFR question: Anybody lost a DVC Aulani contract before?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello DVC Members,

I finally decide to purchase Disney Aulani and I am starting with a small 100 points subsidized contract. It is currently being sent for ROFR with DVC (makes me nervous thinking about it). In looking thru all the various ROFR threads I could find, it appears to me nobody ever had Aulani taken by ROFR before. ROFR appears to be really active for WDW resorts, but not Aulani.

Just wondering if anybody with Aulani lost a contract before to DVC ROFR?

I already own 3 other timeshares, with HGVC, WorldMark, and Silver Lake Resort in the last 5 years, and been considering DVC ever since. DVC was just too expensive back than (in my view point), because 100 points don't even get you a full week in a studio in Aulani (don't even talk about a 1 bedroom unit that I prefer staying in with a kitchen), that's why I been delaying the purchase for so long. I just couldn't seem to justify the cost of DVC back than.

Fast forward to today, I find that I mainly use my HGVC at Hilton Lagoon tower, and always found one week to not be enough, and usually wanted 10 days or longer for such a long flight. Plus it was always cheaper to fly back on a Mon/Tues/Wed than on the weekends if you do an exactly 1 week trip. I would always supplement my stays at hotels for last 3-4 nights in the past, but always felt nickeled and dimed with the resort fees and parking fees in Oahu. Plus, I finally got over the fact that I can live with just a microwave and small fridge the last few nights in a Studio, at least it will better than just a hotel room. I finally did the math, and decided Disney Aulani is for me, as I understand you get free parking as a DVC member, and no resort fees (just TOT tax that is everywhere for Hawaii). Plus, I have traded in the Marriott's Ko Olina before, and every time I walked thru Aulani, I always envied the people who get to use the lazy river. I always told myself one day I will get to use those pools in Aulani somehow. Now I am finally one step closer to achieving this dream!!!

So, wish me luck on a dream come true, and hopefully I pass ROFR. Will report back when I do. So, what's been your experience with ROFR and Aulani?

Thanks,
Great3

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Did you say how much you were paying for that per point?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yeah, I just looked at the ROFR thread on the Disboards. They have reports of AUL passing and none taken in the last two years. Good news for you :thumbup:

Hoping your dreams come true :cheer:

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at the ROFR thread on the Disboards. They have reports of AUL passing and none taken in the last two years. Good news for you :thumbup:

Hoping your dreams come true :cheer:

Thanks Alwysonvac… Yeah, I am thinking I will be okay, but it's still so nerve racking waiting...

Thanks,
Great3

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Aulani is my favorite DVC resort (along with AK). It is my favorite resort in all of Hawaii and I have been to Hawaii 8 times, staying in all 4 and 5 star resorts in the past on all the major islands. I bought 200 points for $82.50 through Fidelity about 1-2 years ago. $104 is probably okay for a smaller contract and given that Aulani has gone up in the resale market recently. I was told by my broker that DVC is not exercising ROFR at Aulani at any price. She was absolutely sure my offer would pass and it did.

Aulani is really the best value IMHO in the DVC network right now between being a 4.5 start hotel on the beach in Hawaii, it is a gorgeous Hawaiian themed resort, it has among the lowest buy-in costs, and it is actually fairly easy to trade into other WDW resorts at the 7 month mark. The downsides are the MFs are a bit higher than other DVCs but overall, the difference is inconsequential to me.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's a near certainty you'll be fine. Aulani isn't sold out, so there isn't much incentive for them to buy back points, except at a very bargain basement price. Congratulations on your purchase!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I suspect that in the long term, Aulani will sell for multiple increments over the current resale price. Hawaii is very expensive and us west coast people love to pay a lot of money for nothing. LOL

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that in the long term, Aulani will sell for multiple increments over the current resale price. Hawaii is very expensive and us west coast people love to pay a lot of money for nothing. LOL

Now, wouldn't that be nice? I always buy with expectations / assumptions that all timeshares will be worthless / 100% lost of principle when the time comes for me to exit, and just be happy / pleasantly surprise if there are value left at all. Of course, for DVC, I hope this isn't true, but I still just try to keep my hopes down, so I won't be disappointed. I plan on holding onto this DVC contract for 20-30 years, and sell sometime alone those lines, unless I happen to replace with an even bigger points contract.

Great3

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Nice price on a subsidized contract. That resort has sold more slowly than Disney planned (they have started and finished a couple of WDW resorts since they started sell Aulani) I think you will be fine My family really enjoyed Aulani last summer but it's a long way from the east coast.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I am happy to report today, I got notification from my broker that my contract for Aulani passed ROFR. Now just waiting on estoppel and closing. Super excited!!!

History: I made offer on Feb. 28th, seller and I each countered one time, and than seller accept at $104 that day. We both signed contact same day, and it was submitted to DVC for ROFR review on next day on March 1st. Today, March 12th, I passed ROFR, so about 12 days total (8 business days). Thanks, for listening (reading).

Great3

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Congratulations!

We are excited that we are staying at Aulani on 4/26/2019 for one night, before we go over to Marriott's Ko Olina for a week. We have never been. I got a one bedroom Island Gardens view. It was 50 points, however. Rick said, "How many????" Hahahaha!

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

We are excited that we are staying at Aulani on 4/26/2019 for one night, before we go over to Marriott's Ko Olina for a week. We have never been. I got a one bedroom Island Gardens view. It was 50 points, however. Rick said, "How many????" Hahahaha!

I stayed at Marriott's Ko Olina before, it was absolutely amazing. You will love it. Truth be told, I am actually not that big a fan of Disney, but my wife adores all things Disney, and I just wanted to make sure she is happy!!! Besides, I always wanted to use the lazy river there, that I can do that all day long.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I can't remember what their pool-under-construction periods are, but my sister just called the resort for an August visit and got the $50/night resort credit attached to her reservation. Worth checking if they are doing this in April. Fingers crossed the lazy river is available!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I can't remember what their pool-under-construction periods are, but my sister just called the resort for an August visit and got the $50/night resort credit attached to her reservation. Worth checking if they are doing this in April. Fingers crossed the lazy river is available!
Refurbishment is from aug 19 to dec 17 according to dvc. These pool areas will be closed.
62d850b390343440a789fc94d3185162.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everybody. Although I haven't close yet, I feel very good now that I pass ROFR already, but still won't count my eggs until it hatched.

Am I crazy, I am already thinking about putting in an offer for another Aulani contract after reading all the threads about the possibility of renting out the points to cover your Maintenance Fee's? That way, I can get a 1-bedroom like I always loved / wanted (that was what put me off purchasing DVC for so long originally because of buy-in cost versus what you can get for your points for the MFs - only studios at Aulani for 100 points contract and not even a full week). I am starting to envision enough points for a 1 bedroom for a whole week or a little bit more now, and just renting out what I don't need. Originally, my plan was just a studio for a few nights to replace hotel stays. Man oh man, the possibilities, and the dream just keep on getting bigger!!! I am going to have to think about it some more.

Thanks,
Great3

NotNew

Reaction score
Yes, 100 points is difficult to use/get enjoyment from.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why wouldn't DVC not want to exercise ROFR on subsidized contracts at just about any cost? Would it be cheaper in the long run to take it back in and resell it unsubsidized?

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
They still have a boat load of unsold inventory at Aulani so I don’t think you will see much focus on ROFR until they are much closer to sold out, at which point I’d expect the subsidized contracts to have more trouble that others. I believe Disney sees Aulani as a failure

Last edited:

NotNew

Reaction score
Why wouldn't DVC not want to exercise ROFR on subsidized contracts at just about any cost? Would it be cheaper in the long run to take it back in and resell it unsubsidized?

I would agree. Disney has so many points to unload. They probably wont start to care until much more of the inventory sells out.

NotNew

Reaction score
BTW, $80-100 / point is right where I've seen most everyone buy/sell right now.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I crazy, I am already thinking about putting in an offer for another Aulani contract after reading all the threads about the possibility of renting out the points to cover your Maintenance Fee's?

There is always a risk of a recession or gas price spikes that might limit travel and mean you'd have to eat the additional maintenance fees yourself. (DVC is relatively safe but it's a big cost up front and there are always risks, even if everything is roses right now.)

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What price is average for Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas? I also love Wilderness (Boulder Ridge) and would love to know what those are going for.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC