• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney’s Riviera Resort Update [merged]

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
What is just North of the location that the Riviera Resort is now located on. On Google maps there is a building there, but it is not identified on the WDW maps. So it was not in use or was a sales or other cast personnel used building. But does anyone know what it was?

I had not realized that they took out several of the CB villas in order to put the Riviera Resort in. Odd that they removed something. There is still undeveloped land available.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am definitely looking forward to staying at the resort.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What is just North of the location that the Riviera Resort is now located on. On Google maps there is a building there, but it is not identified on the WDW maps. So it was not in use or was a sales or other cast personnel used building. But does anyone know what it was?

I had not realized that they took out several of the CB villas in order to put the Riviera Resort in. Odd that they removed something. There is still undeveloped land available.

Often times, if you build on something that has been permitted in the past, there are advantages. Perhaps that is why? Just guessing.

Where we live it is advantageous to tear down an old house and rebuild (even if the constructions costs are the same) because there are tax and permitting advantages. But we are in California. Not sure how Florida works.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It looks like each resale point will only be able to reserve at that home resort. Effectively their generating a new timeshare system with different rules and as such I suspect this rule will be written in to the POS for each resort and any multi site POS applicable. I'm interested in seeing the points charts.

I wonder if they will limit the original 14 further in the future. Do you know if they could eventually say that resale of the original 14 can only be used at their home resort?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they will limit the original 14 further in the future. Do you know if they could eventually say that resale of the original 14 can only be used at their home resort?
As I read the POS no, they could change the timing of what's now the 7 month window or they could remove a given resort from the club in certain situations. But as I read it, there is a contractual option to reserve within the club. IIRC the window can vary from a 4 mo to a 10 month out timing (1 month home resort priority down to a 7 month priority). Guides have been threatening this over the past few years but I don't see it can happen. That means the new resorts either have to be a new system or simply individual resorts, I suspect it'll be a new system with a crossover much like the Marriott weeks, trust points and Destination points setup.

MK15

Reaction score

If you're looking at Google Maps, I'm guessing you're looking at "Customs House" which was the check-in/reception building for CBR before. They tore that down a while ago at the start of Riviera construction and redid a more central check-in / dining / pool area.

Generally it fits with how Disney's started adding parking fees at their hotels (not DVC) and been trying to capture people in their ecosystem. They're basically making Caribbean Beach denser and more friendly to those without cars. They're doing the same thing with Coronado Springs by adding a tower hotel, a bridge across the lake, etc.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would Disney make a DVC 2 system and give resale buyers access to all the resorts in that? Once they've decided to restrict resale like that, presumably they'll want to so as firmly as possible. That will likely mean home resort access only for resale buyers of resorts from Riviera forward.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Why would Disney make a DVC 2 system and give resale buyers access to all the resorts in that? Once they've decided to restrict resale like that, presumably they'll want to so as firmly as possible. That will likely mean home resort access only for resale buyers of resorts from Riviera forward.

I would assume that resales going forward would get their HOME resort and ANY of the original group of resorts (prior to Riviera).

Disney would then either rent to the public for Cash or Sell NEW contracts to owners to stay at these new resorts, both would yield a higher return to Disney than a resale trading in might generate. Disney is now rethinking their resale strategy and are considering rules that could now influence purchasing from Disney direct vs an existing resale contract. They have already started this a few years ago with changes to Annual perks for resales too.

Since Disney is RTU when do the terms end on the these contracts? That should also begin to cause a reduction in resale inventory. But I do not know if they were 99 year RTU or 40 year RTU?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would assume that resales going forward would get their HOME resort and ANY of the original group of resorts (prior to Riviera).

Disney would then either rent to the public for Cash or Sell NEW contracts to owners to stay at these new resorts, both would yield a higher return to Disney than a resale trading in might generate. Disney is now rethinking their resale strategy and are considering rules that could now influence purchasing from Disney direct vs an existing resale contract. They have already started this a few years ago with changes to Annual perks for resales too.

Since Disney is RTU when do the terms end on the these contracts? That should also begin to cause a reduction in resale inventory. But I do not know if they were 99 year RTU or 40 year RTU?
It looks clear that resale buyers for Riviera (and presumably resorts that come after) will ONLY have access to Riviera and nothing else. Resale buyers of the current resort will only have access to those resorts but not new resorts as of 1/19/19. So if you buy now you can't access Riviera or the new FW resort and beyond. The original was 50 years from when OKW opened and the next few resorts all ended the same date, 1/31/42. But starting with SSR it became a new 50 years each time so SSR is 54, AKV 57, BLT ? 60 and so on. Any reduction in inventory will coincide with a reduction in capacity. The only way this shifts is for resales going forward which will be unlikely to have much effect.

MK15

Reaction score

Different end dates for different resorts. There's a chunk that are 2042. Newer resorts expire around 50 years from when they went on sale.

yearLeftfrom2017.jpg

(image shows years remaining as of 2017, 2 years ago, so subtract two off)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Anyone else excited about the point charts being released for Riviera, just released? I am not interested in purchasing there, but I would like to stay there. There are two types of studios, a Tower Studio and a Deluxe Studio. The Tower Studio is less points, but too small for us. Really looking forward to staying in a Deluxe Studio to see how it is. Pool looks gorgeous, so convenient to Hollywood Studios and Epcot with the gondola. Can't wait!:banana:

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
A Tower Studio would be perfect for DH and me, for 2-3 nights. But we prefer to eat breakfast in the room while getting dressed and also like a W/D so we can bring fewer clothes, so we’d want to move to a 1-bedroom for the rest of the trip. Hopefully we can make it while Riviera is still in sales - I think it’s a little easier for non-owners to book due to the excess of declared villas vs. points sold before a new resort is sold out.

No matter what, we’re riding the gondola next January when we’re there!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoping to have some time to take the tour in May. For me, it's not all about the room though - I want to like the resort also - theme, location, feel, amenities, etc. We do love all of them for different reasons.

I keep going back and forth with purchasing points (anywhere) - but regardless, can't wait to stay here for sure.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just attended the Riviera “event” at Saratoga, so we got to see some of the new rooms. They were showing studios and one bedrooms (with studio as second bedroom of a two-bed.) Looks just like the pics, but felt much more elegant in person.

DH liked the gray/white marble which was everywhere in bathrooms. Studio split bath is AWESOME. We thought we were being shown a 1bd at first bc it felt too swank for a studio with that split bath. The Murphy bed was impressive in person. Studios also have that single Murphy like at BRV, BWV, etc. so a two bdrm houses ten guests. (It would feel full!)

They fed us macarons and beef carpaccio bites and had a violinist playing in the waiting area. Cute if hokey presentation by Dee Vee Cee herself. And a simple “would you like to see some numbers?” where your “no” was not questioned or belittled. ❤️DVC.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
We just attended the Riviera “event” at Saratoga, so we got to see some of the new rooms. They were showing studios and one bedrooms (with studio as second bedroom of a two-bed.) Looks just like the pics, but felt much more elegant in person.

DH liked the gray/white marble which was everywhere in bathrooms. Studio split bath is AWESOME. We thought we were being shown a 1bd at first bc it felt too swank for a studio with that split bath. The Murphy bed was impressive in person. Studios also have that single Murphy like at BRV, BWV, etc. so a two bdrm houses ten guests. (It would feel full!)

They fed us macarons and beef carpaccio bites and had a violinist playing in the waiting area. Cute if hokey presentation by Dee Vee Cee herself. And a simple “would you like to see some numbers?” where your “no” was not questioned or belittled. ❤️DVC.
Yay to the split bath. Is the Deluxe Studio similar to the bath at Grand Floridian or Polynesian? We love the 2 baths at both for the studios, come in SO HANDY when getting ready for the parks! We love to relax at the resort pools and the pool seems awesome! Looking forward to booking a deluxe studio to check it out!:banana:Will the model be set up at SSR? :confused:If so, will check it out on our August trip!:)

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay to the split bath. Is the Deluxe Studio similar to the bath at Grand Floridian or Polynesian? We love the 2 baths at both for the studios, come in SO HANDY when getting ready for the parks! We love to relax at the resort pools and the pool seems awesome! Looking forward to booking a deluxe studio to check it out!:banana:Will the model be set up at SSR? :confused:If so, will check it out on our August trip!:)
I’ve only stayed at the Polynesian Villas, not GF. The bath split is similar, but minus that huge empty real estate in the close-to-extrerior hallway. (Hope that makes sense.) iirc, the first bath had elegant walk-in shower and second bath had shower/tub combo, but they moved us through pretty quick and I couldn’t revisit to confirm.

The model is set up at the SS preview center.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Split bath is quite a smart layout for the deluxe studio, so convenient! My understanding is that there are only cash reservations being taken now? Does anyone know when members can begin booking?:confused: Thanks!:)

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Current DVC members can buy now; sales open to everyone on April 15. Owners can begin booking on April 10, other DVC members can book beginning May 16 — normal 11 and 7 month windows apply. Riviera opens on December 16.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Current DVC members can buy now; sales open to everyone on April 15. Owners can begin booking on April 10, other DVC members can book beginning May 16 — normal 11 and 7 month windows apply. Riviera opens on December 16.
THANKS! Looking forward to hearing feedback from folks staying there, always "kinks" to work out though!