• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dish Washer that will dry dishes

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our newest dish washer is about 6 years old. It has never really been great at getting dishes dry. It has many modes including heated dry but because it is "smart" it wants to save energy and doesn't really get the dishes dry dry. Moist is what I would call it. It takes about 3 hours to do a wash on "smart wash mode". There is a 1 hour mode that leaves the dishes more than moist.

About 2 dish washers back we had a good simple one that actually dried the dishes.

Any recommendations.

Bill

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We just bought a Samsung model that pops the door open at the end of the dry cycle and has a small fan that continues to blow on the dishes. It actually does a very good job of getting the dishes dry. The only thing that isn’t completely dry is some of the dishes that hold water, like the tops of coffee cups

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
We had the good luck to replace our dishwasher a couple of months before COVID hit.
We have a Bosch that dries quite well except items that have a bowl shaped feature pointing up like the bottom of our coffee cups.
Here's the claim: CrystalDry™ technology transforms moisture into heat to get dishes, including plastics, 60% drier

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The same is true for new HE dryers. I find the automatic settings never get everything completely dry, still slightly damp.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We had the good luck to replace our dishwasher a couple of months before COVID hit.
We have a Bosch that dries quite well except items that have a bowl shaped feature pointing up like the bottom of our coffee cups.
Here's the claim: CrystalDry™ technology transforms moisture into heat to get dishes, including plastics, 60% drier
+1 on the Bosch. I love my dishwasher.

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
I would hate to have the humidity escape into the house.

We just bought a Samsung model that pops the door open at the end of the dry cycle and has a small fan that continues to blow on the dishes. It actually does a very good job of getting the dishes dry. The only thing that isn’t completely dry is some of the dishes that hold water, like the tops of coffee cups

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
My Bosch doesn’t get plastics dry but it’s a couple of years old. The later ones have newer “dry” technology. I love the Bosch tho! I do typically run my DW at night. By morning it is completely cool and I think that helps make things dryer. Perhaps something to try.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Our LG has both "extra dry" and "overnight dry" settings.
The overnight feature works well to get things dry.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would hate to have the humidity escape into the house.
Since dishwashers don't have vents to the outside, isn't the moisture getting into the house one way or another?

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I guess that I'm really dating myself when I say that I do remember dishwashers that did dry dishes well.

We have a top of the line, stainless steel Kitchenaid. We've always thought the darn thing was defective. I grab a towel before I open the dishwasher door, especially if there are any plastics or coffee cups inside.

I'm glad to know that we are not alone in our dishwasher frustration.

Another question: most of the time, I now wash the dishes by hand. After all, what's the point of using the dishwasher if I'm going to have to dry a lot of things by hand anyway after the cycle is done? Are there others like me? And is this why modern appliances are energy efficient? They save energy because I do the work rather than using the machine?

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Has anyone found a Dishwasher that fully dries plastic food storage containers on the top shelf? We always having to shake them out over the sink and then place on drying pad on the kitchen counter.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always had a Whirlpool and found it very efficient. It's been a number of years but I bought it at Best Buy and was very pleased.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our old dishwasher "back in the day" dried dishes using a heating element. Which also cooked plastic occasionally. When we bought the Bosch I specifically looked for a dishwasher without heated drying so that I didn't have to worry about forgetting to turn it off. I will put plastic in the bottom of the dishwasher if I need the room. It's never bothered me if there was water in the bottom of the coffee cups (I dab them with a dish towel when I pull out the top rack), and for the most part the plastic I put in the dishwasher, usually just the snapware lids, is fairly dry. If they're not I toss them in the dish rack in the sink and let them air dry. If you empty the Bosch when it's done running the plates are so hot that you almost can't touch them, so that's how things get dry. Obviously the plastic does not get as hot.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a Dishwasher that fully dries plastic food storage containers on the top shelf? We always having to shake them out over the sink and then place on drying pad on the kitchen counter.

our Kitchenaid does as long as we load them so they do not collect standing water and keep jet dry rinse aid loaded.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Another vote for Bosch. We've had ours a little over a year and it's the best dishwasher we've every had.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm going to veer off topic. This thread has me thinking that I'm a lot older than I thought.

When I was a kid, major appliances worked, and they worked for many years before needing replacement.

Now the world is so much more complex. When I go to buy toothpaste, I come face to face with well over a dozen different types of Crest toothpaste. It's a crisis. Which toothpaste should I choose?

I may finally be making my peace with lightbulbs. After some false starts, I have learned to flip over the package and check the Kelvins. An LED bulb that puts out light in the range of 2700-2800 K seems similar to the old incandescent bulbs I am used to.

I'm sitting here this morning eating Special K. The grocery ran a sale on oat milk last week, so I decided to try it. So now it's happening to milk! There's almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, soy milk, cow's milk, and on and on. Even Coca-Cola is selling milk (look up Fairlife milk). Milk is getting complicated! It's another existential crisis. What type of milk should I buy?

My wife just said we need to hire a life consultant so that our lives will go smoother. We need someone to help us choose appliances that will work, help me pick the right toothpaste, lightbulbs, milk, and the myriad of other things that have gotten complex and confusing.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Another top of the line dishwasher that doesn’t get as much press is Asko. The one I use at the beach gets things dry.

That said, I LOVE the Bosch’s 3rd rack and never want to live without one again. My 800 series also has a light that shines on the floor that tells me it’s running and a water cutoff if it ever detects a leak.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm going to veer off topic. This thread has me thinking that I'm a lot older than I thought.

When I was a kid, major appliances worked, and they worked for many years before needing replacement.

Now the world is so much more complex. When I go to buy toothpaste, I come face to face with well over a dozen different types of Crest toothpaste. It's a crisis. Which toothpaste should I choose?

I may finally be making my peace with lightbulbs. After some false starts, I have learned to flip over the package and check the Kelvins. An LED bulb that puts out light in the range of 2700-2800 K seems similar to the old incandescent bulbs I am used to.

I'm sitting here this morning eating Special K. The grocery ran a sale on oat milk last week, so I decided to try it. So now it's happening to milk! There's almond milk, cashew milk, oat milk, soy milk, cow's milk, and on and on. Even Coca-Cola is selling milk (look up Fairlife milk). Milk is getting complicated! It's another existential crisis. What type of milk should I buy?

My wife just said we need to hire a life consultant so that our lives will go smoother. We need someone to help us choose appliances that will work, help me pick the right toothpaste, lightbulbs, milk, and the myriad of other things that have gotten complex and confusing.
A lot of this was triggered by energy efficiency standards. One consequence of that is that there is a penalty for installing items such as motors and compressors that are oversized for the application. Oversized = not working as hard = longer working life.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We ended up with an upper-end GE dishwasher because I wanted something other than stainless or black and really liked their "slate" color. Our kitchen is open to the great room so quiet was a key consideration. It is so quiet that we have to ask each other if the dishwasher is on. At the end of the cycle dishes are dry. The only drawback is the water left on top of glasses that are indented on the bottom. Oh, and plastic doesn't dry.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We always use the blue Finish rinse aid as recommended in the manual. When googling my problem there was a small video on how to adjust the amount of the Finish rinse the dishwasher uses. We never adjusted this ever and it was all the way to the low position. I cranked the adjustment to the high position. Other articles suggested using the Finish Powerball Quantum soap because it has a rinse aid and dishwasher salt in it. I never heard of dishwasher salt. After the first load I do see a difference on everything but the plastic containers.

I'm thinking I might get my wife a really nice dishwasher for her birthday if she can put up with this one for a while, lol. It is working better with the rinse aid turned all the way up and the expensive soap. It might be I make it to Christmas if I luck out.

Bill

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The drain...

Most dishwashers have a vent on the side of the door usually on the upper left which is used to expel the steam during the heated dry cycle.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The drain...
Steam goes up, it doesn't go down. It would condense on the dishes before it ever went down the drain. Leaving wet dishes and water spots.