• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disappointed With Hotwire and Priceline

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I have always been very pleased with Hotwire and Priceline for hotel rooms, and, in fact used them for an extra night in Orlando this Friday.

But I am really disappointed in them for rental cars.

Priceline was out of the running at the starting gate because they don't offer anything at Sanford (SFB).

I was counting on Hotwire being able to beat whatever I could find myself, searching on the various rental companies own sites. But they didn't/haven't/aren't.

Even more frustrating is that Hotwire keeps sending emails, saying prices for my rental car search have been reduced. I search again, like I just did, and they haven't been.

If anyone thinks they can come up with a last minute bargain, we need an SUV, mini van, or something similar, from 6 PM 1/4/08 until 10:00 AM 1/18/08, at SFB airport. We've got a Trailblazer reserved at $514 total.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not much improvement, but you could try this:

Costco.com Alamo car rental. ID # 675899. Coupon Code # AD3216DDA. It brings in a Trailblazer for your dates and times at $511.33. Probably not worth changing the reservation just to save three bucks. ;)

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have always been very pleased with Hotwire and Priceline for hotel rooms, and, in fact used them for an extra night in Orlando this Friday.

While I have had considerable success using PL and HW for car rentals, neither site works as well for rentals as for hotel rooms. It is very common for both sites to return car rental rates that are higher than what I am offered directly by a rental agency.

It's worth checking the sites for virtually every rental - on a recent rental I saved about 50% using HW. But results are definitely more erratic with car rentals than with hotel rooms.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We've had reasonable success with Hotwire and Priceline for rental cars but, it's not every time. Maybe twice a year we get a good rate through either Hotwire or Priceline. I've found the best policy is to book a rental car as soon as I know my dates, then check frequently (daily sometimes) until I get what I'm happy with as the lowest rate or close enough to not warrent daily checks.

I only look at Hotwire or Priceline 4 to 6 weeks before we arrive and, again, I check daily. This past trip to West Palm Beach we booked a full size car for $99.95 for the week. I saw it late at night (we work nights) and booked it when I saw it. By the time I got home the next morning I checked again and the rates were back up to higher than what my original booking through Thrifty had been.

So the only secrete I can tell you is to keep checking and be ready to jump on any deal you think is worthy. The great thing about Hotwire is you can check hourly if you want. With Priceline, once you make a bid you're locked out of repeating that bid for a certain amount of time.

This all reminds me that I need to be looking to Hotwire for our upcoming vacation to AZ. I've got a decent rate through Thrifty but I could always use a better one. :)

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
With my luck I'd switch and they'd want to see my Costco card ;) .

Not much improvement, but you could try this:

Costco.com Alamo car rental. ID # 675899. Coupon Code # AD3216DDA. It brings in a Trailblazer for your dates and times at $511.33. Probably not worth changing the reservation just to save three bucks. ;)

Dave

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm checking for Friday so my playing around time is winding down.

I just checked National's last minute specials and they were higher than what I have with the contract ID, coupon, and Emerald Club I already used.

Last week I even tried their $50 off coupon, with free ski racks, but for some reason that offer was not available in Orlando. :D

When I checked Priceline for Orlando, it was much lower, but that was at the big airport.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I'm checking for Friday so my playing around time is winding down.

I just checked National's last minute specials and they were higher than what I have with the contract ID, coupon, and Emerald Club I already used.

Last week I even tried their $50 off coupon, with free ski racks, but for some reason that offer was not available in Orlando. :D

When I checked Priceline for Orlando, it was much lower, but that was at the big airport.

You could be stuck with what you have. I'd say this happens to us about 75 to 80% of the time. I always like finding that deal on Hotwire or Priceline or through any other avenue but, in reality it doesn't really happen that often for us. My poor performance with Priceline and Hotwire could come from continuing to shop up to the day of departure for the best deal possible.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
It gives you something to do when you're not busy saving people. :D

Happy New Year!!! Which means it could be a busy night for you!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a lot of success with Priceline Rental Cars by waiting until the day before I arrive at my destination to visit Priceline. I always start the reservation process the day I know my itineraries. I immediately book the lowest rate I can find and gradually rachet it down dollar by dollar, week by week whenever I can. The day before the trip I go to Priceline and take my shot. More often than not I save another 20% to 25%. In November I got 10 days at West Palm Beach Airport for a total of $165.00 with my last gasp Priceline bid. When I started out looking about 10 months prior the best I could find was around $285.00

GEORGE

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
As mentioned before, if I could I would.

I have had a lot of success with Priceline Rental Cars by waiting until the day before I arrive at my destination to visit Priceline. I always start the reservation process the day I know my itineraries. I immediately book the lowest rate I can find and gradually rachet it down dollar by dollar, week by week whenever I can. The day before the trip I go to Priceline and take my shot. More often than not I save another 20% to 25%. In November I got 10 days at West Palm Beach Airport for a total of $165.00 with my last gasp Priceline bid. When I started out looking about 10 months prior the best I could find was around $285.00

GEORGE

MILOIOWA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been getting those emails about the price drop also. Only to find out that it is bogus. But when I went on priceline about a week ago, I first tried a midsize car for $15 dollars a day, it rejected it. So I tried a compact for $13/day and it rejected that. So then for kicks I tried a standard at $14/day and it took it? :shrug: Don't quite understand the logic there, but we got a "better" car for way less than what Hotwire was offering so it worked out.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
For 25 years I have been trying to tell my wife how smart Iowans are.