• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disappointed with Dollar in Hawaii

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We used autoslash and got a really good rate, only to find they wanted to charge us $12 per day! to add a spouse as a second driver. We kept it to dh. The other problem was very low choice on cars and none I could have driven anyway, being very short and needing to sit high up. They said Hawaii law allows them to charge for the spouse as second driver, but we did National through Priceline on Hawaii and we're fine, no charges for second driver and a nice 2012 Ford Fusion.
Liz

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used autoslash and got a really good rate, only to find they wanted to charge us $12 per day! to add a spouse as a second driver. We kept it to dh. The other problem was very low choice on cars and none I could have driven anyway, being very short and needing to sit high up. They said Hawaii law allows them to charge for the spouse as second driver, but we did National through Priceline on Hawaii and we're fine, no charges for second driver and a nice 2012 Ford Fusion.
Liz

We were charged for spouse as second driver with Alamo through Priceline on the Big Island.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were charged for spouse as second driver with Alamo through Priceline on the Big Island.

Same here.

It all depends on what the terms and conditions are for the specific company that you receive through PL.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
This is why I always use National when I need a free second driver. With a discount code, I come out ahead when you add the second-driver fee to another company. Plus, as a member of National's Emerald Club, I can usually pick my own vehicle. So I book a medium size (only a few dollars more than compact) and get an SUV in Hawaii for the same price.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This is why I always use National when I need a free second driver. With a discount code, I come out ahead when you add the second-driver fee to another company. Plus, as a member of National's Emerald Club, I can usually pick my own vehicle. So I book a medium size (only a few dollars more than compact) and get an SUV in Hawaii for the same price.

Most/many of the majors allow an extra driver, especially a spouse, free. If we'd rented directly through Alamo instead of using Priceline, the second driver would have been free. Even with the second driver fee we still paid less using Priceline. It was just somewhat of a surprise.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I have rarely if ever had a car rental with a major company that provided a free spouse as secondary driver.

A few years back, the entertainment book had a coupon for National and/or Alamo that provided the secondary driver free but since then, I've not seen it offered/provided.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Most/many of the majors allow an extra driver, especially a spouse, free. If we'd rented directly through Alamo instead of using Priceline, the second driver would have been free. Even with the second driver fee we still paid less using Priceline. It was just somewhat of a surprise.
Not necessarily. Much of the time iti depends on the particular state in which the rental office is located. Some states require that rentals include spouses - others don't. After that it depends on whether spouse coverage is provided under a particular negotiated rate plan.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never worried about it and just let my spouse drive when needed. Not sure how they'd ever know who's driving.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've never worried about it and just let my spouse drive when needed. Not sure how they'd ever know who's driving.
They wouldn't until there was an accident and it turned out that an unauthorized driver was using the car. Which means that there would be no insurance coverage.

It's the same risk that you take when you take your car on a prohibited road (e.g., to the top of Mauna Kea or the road to the green sand beach at South Point).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Alamo through Costco includes a free driver. Rick always adds my name, but it seems silly, since he always drives. But if for some reason I needed to drive, I would be covered through our Costco/ Amex car rental insurance, since my name was added.

Maybe I would be covered anyway.

I watch car rentals constantly for our trips and find the best deals are days before the rental, but I keep reserving and cancelling anyway, assuming it might be different for the next rental. Our March trip to Maui is still very expensive for cars.

I was able to get an intermediate through Alamo for $146 for 13 days in Orlando for next month. That's taxes and fees included. :cheer: We were very happy with that.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Most rental agreements I've seen have stated that unauthorized drivers will be considered as having stolen the vehicle or something to that affect. If they were to get pulled over for speeding and the cop asks to see the paperwork, that would be one way to be caught.

Steve mentions others in terms of accidents or incidents with the vehicle requiring service.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outstanding . . . thanks for sharing that AARP program benefit!

HatTrick

Reaction score
Outstanding . . . thanks for sharing that AARP program benefit!

Happy to!

Also of note, you're not limited to the "additional savings" offers shown on the AARP page. If, for example, there's an additional $30 off coupon code for AARP but a $50 off code on the "Hot Deals" tab, you can grab the better deal. Just make a note of the coupon code and enter it when making the reservation.

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
reading this post with great interest. We will be renting a car on Big Island next November for two weeks. There will be 4 adults sharing the car. We all will be driving the car. How do we figure this out? Should we reserve two cars? One per couple with spouses able to use for free? Would this be an issue for parking at the resorts? We are at Wyndham Kona one week and the Hilton Waikalolo the 2nd week.

Suzanne