• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disadvantage to buying two every other year units rather than one every year unit?

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty new to Vistana but I just bought an 81 K Staroptions odd year EOY Vistana villages non-lockoff unit on ebay
If I find and buy another EOY even year unit I am assuming my only disadvantage would be paying two club fees every year
From what I read I believe the second club fee is reduced and there is no additional club fee if you buy more units thereafter

So if you owned 4 EOY units you would pay two annual club fees the same as if you owned 2 every year units?

I have I figured this part correctly ?

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
Pretty new to Vistana but I just bought an 81 K Staroptions odd year EOY Vistana villages non-lockoff unit on ebay
If I find and buy another EOY even year unit I am assuming my only disadvantage would be paying two club fees every year
From what I read I believe the second club fee is reduced and there is no additional club fee if you buy more units thereafter

So if you owned 4 EOY units you would pay two annual club fees the same as if you owned 2 every year units?

I believe you will already be paying your Club Fee every year for the odd year unit you just bought. If you buy a second unit, whether every year or EOYE/EOYO, you’ll still only pay one Club Fee overall.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even better I thought I would have to pay another $40-$50 per year for the second unit

Sales price was $820 no closing costs
2020 maintenance fees were paid so I think I get 81,000 star options in 2021 after paying 2021 Maintenance fees and club fees totalling $795

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very nice! I’m closing on a Vistana unit right now too, 81,000 options every year.

With EOY, you pay the club fee and maintenance fee every year (even on years you don’t receive points) but your maintenance fee is split in two so you pay half every year... if that makes sense!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
You will pay $155 per year for the first unit and $50 per year for the second - it doesn’t matter if it is annual or biennial. Everything else after that is free.
In this case you would pay $205/year. If you had purchased an annual it would have been $155.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
I think you pay a little more than half of the annual MF for biannual units, not like Marriott units which you pay exactly 50%

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I would get hit for the extra $50 on a second unit but I did not think I would be paying more than 50% of the maintenance fees.
If I am I may have made a mistake (if I have made a mistake it is not the first one I have made)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They also charge ~$20/year extra on EOY vs EY of the same unit in MFs.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Checked the site
It shows 2020 EY 2 BR $1117.37 & EOY $590.55 (no club fees)
IT also shows 2019 EY 2 BR $1047.05 & EOY $590.55 (no club fees)

I suspect one of the entries is wrong
Make sure you also add the property tax, I think the annual mf is over $1200 and eoy MF is over $600

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I thought I would get hit for the extra $50 on a second unit but I did not think I would be paying more than 50% of the maintenance fees.
If I am I may have made a mistake (if I have made a mistake it is not the first one I have made)
Not the worst mistake. I have a few EOY and they work well. The difference in MF is minimal usually $20-25/year.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for reference, the MFs on the EY Vistana I’m purchasing for 81,000 points are around $1,400 every year so it would appear that your MFs at $795 a year is about $200 more over the two years. Unless I’m missing something, which is possible :)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

You may know this already but I will say in case you do not. The EOY contracts that are enrolled in VSN have a big disadvantage. Say you have an even year contract, if you bank the 2020 Options you will only be able to use in another even year, 2022 or 2024. To me that is a problem, 2024 is a long way from now. When you borrow you can only borrow from 2022 to 2020, you cannot use the contract for any odd year bookings. In practice if you have 2 contracts EOY even and EOY odd, you will never be able to combine the points. Because you cannot combine the years, you may also waste more points.

I hope Vistana will revisit this policy, especially now with Covid people need as much flexibility as possible.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just for reference, the MFs on the EY Vistana I’m purchasing for 81,000 points are around $1,400 every year so it would appear that your MFs at $795 a year is about $200 more over the two years. Unless I’m missing something, which is possible :)

It’s not uncommon for listings to include the club fees in their MF estimate. Or, just wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s not uncommon for listings to include the club fees in their MF estimate. Or, just wrong.

I know for sure my $1,400 MF does include the club fee as does the poster’s $795 every year. So it is about $190 more than my annual which basically is the one extra annual club fee for the off year... the story checks out. ;)

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may know this already but I will say in case you do not. The EOY contracts that are enrolled in VSN have a big disadvantage. Say you have an even year contract, if you bank the 2020 Options you will only be able to use in another even year, 2022 or 2024. To me that is a problem, 2024 is a long way from now. When you borrow you can only borrow from 2022 to 2020, you cannot use the contract for any odd year bookings. In practice if you have 2 contracts EOY even and EOY odd, you will never be able to combine the points. Because you cannot combine the years, you may also waste more points.

I hope Vistana will revisit this policy, especially now with Covid people need as much flexibility as possible.
I had read this but I frankly was not thinking about it when I bid on the unit.
I am not disappointed that I bought the unit but if I had been thinking about this issue I might have waited for an EY unit

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was just looking into this yesterday regarding banking points on Vistana EOY shares and I thought I understood it differently. Here’s the thread I was reading through:

According to that thread, if you have points in 2019 for an EOYO (for example) and you bank them, they are usable for two years starting in 2020 and until the end of 2021. I’d like to know how this works as well since I was considering a second purchase as an EOY in the future.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an EOY SVV even and also a WKORVN annual. I banked 2020 points for both and they are available for 2021 usage. Not sure if it is due to the fact that I have an annual unit though. It's weird that there is such limit as you are paying for SVN membership every year.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I know for sure my $1,400 MF does include the club fee as does the poster’s $795 every year. So it is about $190 more than my annual which basically is the one extra annual club fee for the off year... the story checks out. ;)

If so, then that’s significantly more for an eoy vs ey than we have discussed on TUG for at least ~15 years. Are you sure you are comparing the same resort and section?

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If so, then that’s significantly more for an eoy vs ey than we have discussed on TUG for at least ~15 years. Are you sure you are comparing the same resort and section?

The original poster hasn’t disclosed which section exactly but can if they want. The details of mine are EY SVV Bella phase, 2 bedroom (non-lockoff) platinum season, 81,000 points. The MFs are around $1,400 including club fee.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an EOY SVV even and also a WKORVN annual. I banked 2020 points for both and they are available for 2021 usage. Not sure if it is due to the fact that I have an annual unit though. It's weird that there is such limit as you are paying for SVN membership every year.

this is from the |VS|N rules:
3.2 StarOptions Chart and Use of StarOptions. The number of StarOptions required to reserve the use of a given Vacation Period during the Network Float Period is set forth in the StarOptions Chart. Network Members may use StarOptions to reserve available Vacation Periods at Network Resorts or Bank or Borrow StarOptions during the Network Float Period pursuant to the Network Rules. StarOptions are valid for immediate use as soon as the StarOptions are assigned to the Network Member, subject to the Network Rules. The StarOptions Chart is subject to change at the discretion of Network Operator. Owner Information Page 133 15 NETWORK GUIDE R-51 (VOLUNTARY RESORTS) StarOptions that have not been Banked are valid until the end of the Use Year for which the StarOptions are assigned, and may only be used to reserve Vacation Periods that occur before the end of such Use Year. If a Network Member fails to use any or all of the Network Member's StarOptions for Vacation Periods that occur before the end of the assigned Use Year, the StarOptions automatically will expire. StarOptions may be Banked to reserve Vacation Periods that occur during succeeding Use Years subject to the rules regarding Banking set forth in Section 3.6. Network Members owning Biennial VOIs will be assigned StarOptions only for their Even or Odd Use Year. StarOptions assigned to the Network Member owning more than one VOI will be allocated for reservation purposes to the Vacation Period with the shortest remaining time availability for

b. Biennial Restrictions. Each Network Member owning a Biennial VOI may request use of assigned StarOptions and be granted a confirmed reservation only for occupancy of a Vacation Period occurring during such Network Member’s Use Year, which occurs every other year. During the Home Resort Fixed Priority Period, (a) a Network Member owning an Even Year Biennial VOI can only reserve occupancy of such Network Member’s Fixed Vacation Period which occurs in calendar years ending in an even number or zero; and (b) a Network Member owning an Odd Year Biennial VOI can only reserve occupancy of the such Network Member’s Fixed Vacation Period in calendar years ending in an odd number. c. Submitting a Reservation Request.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
The details of mine are EY SVV Bella phase, 2 bedroom (non-lockoff) platinum season, 81,000 points. The MFs are around $1,400 including club fee.

Mine was an an EOYO SVV Bella phase 2 bedroom (non-lockoff) 81,000 points "gold" season
Here is the information from the auction (ebay) listing
UsageODD YEAR AWARDING OF
81,000 STAROPTIONS
WeekFLOATING GOLD SEASON
FLOATING 6-17, 23-34, 39-47, & 51-52
Deeded 10
UnitFLOATING BEST AVAILABLE
Deeded 05302
FLOATING BEST AVAILABLE
Unit Size2 Bedroom & 2 Bathroom
Maintenance Fee$650.71 PER YEAR PLUS
$145 FOR SVN MEMBERSHIP IF NOT ALREADY AN OWNER OF SVN ACCOUNT
Exchange CompanyII

Amounts Due:
Winning Bid ONLY
First Year Usage2021
2020 Maintenance FeePAID BY SELLER
$795.71 VALUE
Closing Costs and TaxPAID BY SELLER
$750 SAVINGS
Resort Transfer FeePAID BY SELLER
$25 VALUE

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is from the |VS|N rules:
3.2 StarOptions Chart and Use of StarOptions. The number of StarOptions required to reserve the use of a given Vacation Period during the Network Float Period is set forth in the StarOptions Chart. Network Members may use StarOptions to reserve available Vacation Periods at Network Resorts or Bank or Borrow StarOptions during the Network Float Period pursuant to the Network Rules. StarOptions are valid for immediate use as soon as the StarOptions are assigned to the Network Member, subject to the Network Rules. The StarOptions Chart is subject to change at the discretion of Network Operator. Owner Information Page 133 15 NETWORK GUIDE R-51 (VOLUNTARY RESORTS) StarOptions that have not been Banked are valid until the end of the Use Year for which the StarOptions are assigned, and may only be used to reserve Vacation Periods that occur before the end of such Use Year. If a Network Member fails to use any or all of the Network Member's StarOptions for Vacation Periods that occur before the end of the assigned Use Year, the StarOptions automatically will expire. StarOptions may be Banked to reserve Vacation Periods that occur during succeeding Use Years subject to the rules regarding Banking set forth in Section 3.6. Network Members owning Biennial VOIs will be assigned StarOptions only for their Even or Odd Use Year. StarOptions assigned to the Network Member owning more than one VOI will be allocated for reservation purposes to the Vacation Period with the shortest remaining time availability for

b. Biennial Restrictions. Each Network Member owning a Biennial VOI may request use of assigned StarOptions and be granted a confirmed reservation only for occupancy of a Vacation Period occurring during such Network Member’s Use Year, which occurs every other year. During the Home Resort Fixed Priority Period, (a) a Network Member owning an Even Year Biennial VOI can only reserve occupancy of such Network Member’s Fixed Vacation Period which occurs in calendar years ending in an even number or zero; and (b) a Network Member owning an Odd Year Biennial VOI can only reserve occupancy of the such Network Member’s Fixed Vacation Period in calendar years ending in an odd number. c. Submitting a Reservation Request.

I also recently bought an EOYE 2 Bedroom ocean view unit in hawaii
With the virus it took forever to get into my account
I was just able to deposit my 2020 points before the cutoff date
I copied the below from my account
I can make a 2021 reservation today with the deposited points
I can not see into 2022 and I am clueless about borrowing

2020202120222023WEEKLY OWNERSHIP INTERESTS

THE WESTIN KĀ‘ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS

WEEK 17, CONTRACT- 2 BEDROOM LOCKOFF VILLA
1 BEDROOM PREMIUM VILLA0--81,000--STUDIO PREMIUM VILLA0--67,100--STAROPTIONS®

BANKED STAROPTIONS1EXPIRING 12/31/2022--148,100148,100--TOTAL