• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DirecTV's days are numbered

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
DirecTV's days are numbered.

Richard

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had DirecTV since it's inception - literally every year except for the 2 years we lived in Fiji. We've never had a problem with them and they've actually been really good about reducing our rate if we call at the end of our contract and twist their arm a little. It will be a sad day to see them go but inevitable apparently.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been switching back and forth between dish and directv every 2 years just to keep the best rate. I just canceled Dish yesterday and went to youtubetv. Directv rate was only going to be equivalent to dish for 1 year and then would jump up significantly. Youtube tv dropped my rate from $75 with dish to $50. The only channel we didn't get that we watched was History Channel.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We had Directv for many years in our former home, but just the basic channels. Right before that we had one of those HUGE satellite dishes back in the 80's! LOL!

When we moved to the rental it was Spectrum internet TV and now in our new home Atlantic Broadband.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'll be brave and defend DirecTV. I'm a long time customer. I have had Charter (Spectrum) in the past, but to me, Charter equals annual rate increases.

We pay a lower monthly rate with DirecTV than we would pay with a comparable streaming service. The trick: when they threaten to raise your monthly rate, call and ask for the Retentions dept. or the Customer Loyalty dept. The company knows that it is bleeding customers, and they have been quite willing to offer me a favorable rate reduction. If you don't ask, you don't receive.

I'm not a Dish customer, but I wonder if the same might be the case.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have Directv currently. I hate Dish.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We also have Directv. Our only other option other than Dish is Comcast which we dumped for Directv years ago. Would hate to go back but will do if we have to.

Ingrid

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Remember when TV was free?

We cut the cord. Watch YouTube with an internet connection only. We have Prime but never watch it. We pay 12.99 for Netflix. Have had cox cable and direct tv in the past cost was $100 to $150 month . No hardship here, will never go back to those bills.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had DirectTV for years before I moved into my CCRC. I was satisfied and found it very reliable. Their price was reasonable as long as I took the time to negotiate with them at renewal time...

George

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott's Manor Club in Williamsburg,VA have DirectTV.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We have DirectTV and it’s fine. I hate to lose it and have to go through our Cable Co., which is the worse

pawolf

Reaction score
I had DirecTV for ten years or so. I liked it, but had to go through the price negotiation dance once a year or so to keep the cost down. Late last summer, when my promotional discounts ended, I called and they couldn't offer me anything. So I spoke with customer retention and they too said there were no discounts they could give me at the time. So I cancelled. And I really don't miss it. I get news from the internet. I have a Netflix subscription in case I want to watch something. But instead, I read a lot more. I bought a Kindle last year on Prime Day, and get books from OverDrive via my library or BookBub. Maybe some day I'll subscribe to something again, but for now, this works for me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had DirecTV for ten years or so. I liked it, but had to go through the price negotiation dance once a year or so to keep the cost down. Late last summer, when my promotional discounts ended, I called and they couldn't offer me anything. So I spoke with customer retention and they too said there were no discounts they could give me at the time. So I cancelled. And I really don't miss it. I get news from the internet. I have a Netflix subscription in case I want to watch something. But instead, I read a lot more. I bought a Kindle last year on Prime Day, and get books from OverDrive via my library or BookBub. Maybe some day I'll subscribe to something again, but for now, this works for me.
Have you looked into streaming services? They are generally cheaper than cable and DirecTV and they don't play games with price increases each year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We had DirecTV for nearly 20 years. We always had great service and were one of the early adopters to their DirecTV with Tivo service. Then moved in to their DVR and then their whole home DVR service which we loved. The only issue we did have was when we moved condos in Ohio, the installer at the new condo came out, looked up and said there was no line of sight. We got a different installer out a few days later and he had no problems. I think the first installer was just lazy and didn't want to check other locations for the dish. Plus there was a thunderstorm coming in, but it wasn't a roof installation and he could have rescheduled.

For us, it was about $100 a month with three TVs. One which we rarely ever watched. So we paid $7 extra a month for nothing. When we moved to Florida we cancelled our DirecTV and didn't sign up again when we got here. First we didn't even know if we would face the right direction though I can see several dishes located around the AC units, so perhaps it would have worked. Though those may just be ground floor units. When we cancelled before leaving Ohio, they didn't try to do anything to retain us. We did sign up in Florida for AT&T Fiber, so we are still with an AT&T product and we like it so far. Not sure if we will like it when the price jumps in July to $100 from the current $70 that we are paying. I guess I could jump to Xfinity for only $80 a month for the same service, but I don't want to deal with the hassle. We work from home a lot and need internet 100% of the time, so I don't know if I want to deal with any potential downtime either.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Good riddance! Like another poster, we have flip flopped between them and DISH for many years. Currently with DISH until October and then probably just switch out to youtubetv. The only thing Directv has that is attractive is the NFL package and since that’s not something we needed it was an easy move this time. Their HR54 DVR is old tech now with only 4 tuners and they refuse to move forward. With DISH we have a DVR with 16 tuners basically allowing us to DVR everything. I got tired of having to call them every year to get a discount. But, our two year price lock with DISH will be up in Oct and we can get youtubetv and philo tv to fill in all the channels we want and still be cheaper that either of the two satellite providers.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good riddance! Like another poster, we have flip flopped between them and DISH for many years. Currently with DISH until October and then probably just switch out to youtubetv. The only thing Directv has that is attractive is the NFL package and since that’s not something we needed it was an easy move this time. Their HR54 DVR is old tech now with only 4 tuners and they refuse to move forward. With DISH we have a DVR with 16 tuners basically allowing us to DVR everything. I got tired of having to call them every year to get a discount. But, our two year price lock with DISH will be up in Oct and we can get youtubetv and philo tv to fill in all the channels we want and still be cheaper that either of the two satellite providers.
16 tuners, lol. We have 2 with our satalite service provider in Canada and can't keep up with everything my wife records.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Remember when TV was free?

We cut the cord. Watch YouTube with an internet connection only. We have Prime but never watch it. We pay 12.99 for Netflix. Have had cox cable and direct tv in the past cost was $100 to $150 month . No hardship here, will never go back to those bills.

Where do you buy your internet to stream?

We are thinking of cutting the cord because we are now at $200 a month for 2 TV's with no premium channels, internet plus phone.
We will still have to use our cable company to buy the internet (approx. $80/mo if it is not bundled with the other services).

Also, I hate to give up our phone number that we have had for 34 years. But most people call us on our cell phones anyway.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, we cut our landline (AT&T) and cable TV (Spectrum), and reset our mobile data plan, saving us an easy $4K a year. Spectrum is still our ISP and AT&T our mobile provider. For TV, we use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and CBS On Demand, all for pennies compared to what we used to pay for cable!

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked and seems that will cost $70/mo combined for us. Think we are paying ~$40 mo now for a Spectrum app w/10 channels we chose and includes locals + music. Something to consider.

we can get youtubetv and philo tv to fill in all the channels we want and still be cheaper that either of the two satellite providers.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I think television's days are numbered......

It is becoming more of a wasteland with each passing day....I didn't mind so much when everything was OTA but when you have to pay for it.....

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I got the cord 8 years ago
Put an HD antenna in the attic and I get free HD TV on all local channels. Use a TiVo to record whatever we want.

I Pay Sling TV 25.00 for the cable channels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a vacation home in the woods. See avatar picture. I brought 2 'figure-8' interior (or exterior) antennas to run my bedroom and living room TVs. I have TV for weather, news and old TV shows. Could be worst ,, but the price is good.

PS Old time TV shows and the weather channel are my viewing choices. NO INTERNET there.... beyond my price point.