• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Direct vs. Resale Benefits?

Rascal2016

Reaction score
I purchased a VIP membership last year to try out the program and freeze my price. I have been very happy with HGVC and had no trouble booking the time I wanted at MarBrisa (6 nights) and the Boulevard in Las Vegas (8 nights), 2-3 months out with my 7,000 VIP points. I just went to my update sales meeting at MarBrisa and dared to ask about the differences between direct and resale purchases. In addition to cautionary tales about not getting clean title when buying resale, the rep made the following statements:

1. Any resale purchase converts back from the points system to a fixed week at the deeded property.
2. There is no opportunity to trade weeks within HGVC or RCI if you buy resale; the deeded week is what you get, period.
3. HGVC is unable to do anything with a resale purchase in the future - no upgrades, owner updates, etc.
4. Open season is not available.

Can anyone speak to the validity of her comments?

I was offered 2,500 points every other year for $12,000. Even with my VIP purchase credit, with MF and dues this results in paying about $4,500 for a 3 day weekend every other year for 10 years. Not quite sure why anyone would do that.

Appreciate any input, thanks for your help!

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that everything you were told is fundamentally false. We own direct and resale weeks. The only difference between them is that the resale weeks do not count toward our elite status. The first point might be true if you buy at an affiliated resort and that resort ends its affiliation with HGVC. (She might have been speaking specifically of MarBrisa, which is something of an affiliated resort. ) But if you buy resale at Las Vegas or Orlando in a true HGVC resort, then you really don't have that risk. The second point again might be somewhat true with respect to MarBrisa and HGVC should you buy a week originally marketed through Grand Pacific and not one affiliated with HGVC (MarBrisa is somewhat unique in that respect). Again, if you buy resale at a true HGVC resort, points are points at the club booking season, whether direct or resale and whether from the specific resort or not. I doubt that HGVC ever will pass up an opportunity to market to an owner, so maybe all you won't get are upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
All lies, typical timeshare salesperson scare tactics to get you to buy developer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
First off, congratulations for not taking that offer.

In order to help us better respond, answer a few questions.

What room size, season and MFs was that offer?
Now that you have "tried out the system" with your 7000 VIP points, how do you see yourself using the system in the future?​

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Everyone of those four points was a blatant lie spewing from your salesperson. Good job in questioning their BS.

I was offered 2,500 points every other year for $12,000.
For half that price, you could get 7000 points every year via resale. You have seen what 7000 points gets you, so you can use that as a gauge to decide what would work best for you.

Even with my VIP purchase credit, with MF and dues this results in paying about $4,500 for a 3 day weekend every other year for 10 years. Not quite sure why anyone would do that.
No informed person would go for that deal, that is for sure! Resale is definitely the way to go, an in most cases, the only way purchasing makes any kind of financial sense.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As said above, sales weasels lie.

Now, the reason you had trouble booking use 2-3 months before use is that at popular resorts, you need to book as far in advance as possible. Iirc, that's at 10 months. (I could be mistaken- someone will have the exact number) I know of TUGgers who get up at midnight to book at the first moment.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Jim,

its 9 months at HGVC, but yes, with popular resorts, especially resorts like Oahu, you need to book 9 months out, or book 1 month out and hope for someone's 31 day prior cancellation.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
They have been telling lies about resale vs retail for a very long time.

Here are some old threads regarding the same old lie (scare tactics) from the sales folk.

Help:Eight Reasons NOT to buy Resale (2009) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97652
HGVC - changes for resale buyers? (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70747
Went to Sales Presentation in Vegas (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61745
Newbie in need of some help: resale vs. developer purchase differences (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74675
Questions for seth (2006) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20077

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This proves the adage:
"How do you know a TS salesman is lying?... His lips are moving."

1. Any resale purchase converts back from the points system to a fixed week at the deeded property.

Not only a complete fabrication, but more than that: HGVC is well aware that any such move (which they could only do for future buyers), it would seriously cripple the "club" (too many members staying in their units), and greatly diminish it's appeal to all buyers, including retail.

2. There is no opportunity to trade weeks within HGVC or RCI if you buy resale; the deeded week is what you get, period.

That would mean that all my club points (8500) and all the RCI gin-joints I've stayed in, are merely pigments of my imagination.

3. HGVC is unable to do anything with a resale purchase in the future - no upgrades, owner updates, etc.

Then why would I - a resale-only owner - be offered an "upgrade" with credit a retail-price credit of my TS... at an owners's update? Maybe that was a pigment of my imagination, too... not that I'd ever want to do that again.

HGVC may have priced Open Season to the point that it's value is questionable, but it's available (in a sense).

Last edited:

Rascal2016

Reaction score
As said above, sales weasels lie.

Now, the reason you had trouble booking use 2-3 months before use is that at popular resorts, you need to book as far in advance as possible. Iirc, that's at 10 months. (I could be mistaken- someone will have the exact number) I know of TUGgers who get up at midnight to book at the first moment.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Actually, because we went a bit off season to MarBrisa and are going to Las vegas in summer, I was delighted to be able to book my first choice dates in both locations without much lead time. I realize this won't be the case in peak season or high demand locations so I consider myself lucky this year.

Very reassuring to know the statements the salesperson made were false, thanks!

Rascal2016

Reaction score
They have been telling lies about resale vs retail for a very long time.

Here are some old threads regarding the same old lie (scare tactics) from the sales folk.

Help:Eight Reasons NOT to buy Resale (2009) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97652
HGVC - changes for resale buyers? (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70747
Went to Sales Presentation in Vegas (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61745
Newbie in need of some help: resale vs. developer purchase differences (2008) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74675
Questions for seth (2006) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20077

Thanks so much for these links - great info!

Rascal2016

Reaction score
This proves the adage:
"How do you know a TS salesman is lying?... His lips are moving."

It doesn't. But more than that: HGVC is well aware that any such move (which they could only do for future buyers), it would seriously cripple the "club" (too many members staying in their units), and greatly diminish it's appeal to all buyers, including retail.

That would mean that all my club points (8500) and all the RCI gin-joints I've stayed in, are merely pigments of my imagination.

Then why would I - a resale-only owner - be offered an "upgrade" with credit a retail-price credit of my TS... at an owners's update? Maybe that was a pigment of my imagination, too... not that I'd ever want to do that again.

HGVC may have priced Open Season to the point that it's value is questionable, but it's available (in a sense).

Everyone of those four points was a blatant lie spewing from your salesperson. Good job in questioning their BS.

For half that price, you could get 7000 points every year via resale. You have seen what 7000 points gets you, so you can use that as a gauge to decide what would work best for you.

Kurt, that's exactly what I thought. Glad to know none of the restrictions she asserted are accurate. Thanks for your input!

No informed person would go for that deal, that is for sure! Resale is definitely the way to go, an in most cases, the only way purchasing makes any kind of financial sense.

Kurt

Rascal2016

Reaction score

Now that you have "tried out the system" with your 7000 VIP points, how do you see yourself using the system in the future?​
Thanks!

Actually, they didn't approach the sale with room size, season or MFs. Because I just kept saying that it wasn't the right time for me to buy (financially), they tried to get a monthly payment as close to my VIP payment as they could, saying that if I had no problem making the VIP payment, I would be fine with the new payment and would have my foot in the door as an owner. (Of course with VIP I got 7000 points, not 2500 biennial points + dues + MFs.)

I'm primarily interested in domestic travel (mostly Western US) in a 1 BR and prefer traveling off peak. I've been looking at resales in NV due to low MFs and am wondering if there's a significant risk of buying at an affiliated property rather than HGVC developed. I love Carlsbad but there seems to be much more inventory in NV and the Grand Pacific ownership/management in Carlsbad makes me uncertain.

I've never owned a TS before but have been a diamond-level HiltonHonors member for years so now that I'm in the market it seems to make the most sense to buy Hilton.

Thanks for your help!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Its not a good idea to finance a timeshare purchase, you shouldn't be discussing monthly payments with a salesperson, buy resale and pay cash.

The best comeback for when they come up with these lies about resale is: Why would I buy something that loses so many of the benefits that it would be impossible to sell?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Its not a good idea to finance a timeshare purchase, you shouldn't be discussing monthly payments with a salesperson...

Eggsactly.
If you cannot scrape up the cash, you should not be buying.
Stay-cation is a better option than going into debt to vacation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Eggsactly.
If you cannot scrape up the cash, you should not be buying.
Stay-cation is a better option than going into debt to vacation.

Particularly when you are going into debt with an overpriced purchase of a vacation. The best sales tactic that the developers have is selling to people when they are happily on a vacation and want to repeat that good feeling again and again so they buy even if they can't afford it.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It looks like they were offering a Studio/Studio Plus in Gold season which is 2,500 points. We don't have listed what the MFs would be in our sticky but I suspect that it would be high also. Many of these shoulder season units, as this one, are some of the worst deals to purchase.

I think that you have already been given sound advice from others in this thread. You also have had the opportunity to "try out the system" via your VIP membership. You can now take your time, research and evaluate. Again, I commend you for not taking that "deal".

Rascal2016

Reaction score

Thanks.
Actually, they didn't approach the sale with room size, season or MFs. Because I just kept saying that it wasn't the right time for me to buy (financially), they tried to get a monthly payment as close to my VIP payment as they could, saying that if I had no problem making the VIP payment, I would be fine with the new payment and would have my foot in the door as an owner. (Of course with VIP I got 7000 points and no dues or MF, not 2500 biennial points + dues + MFs. :) )

I'm primarily interested in domestic travel (mostly Western US) in a 1 BR and prefer traveling off peak. I've been looking at resales in NV due to low MFs and am wondering if there's a significant risk of buying at an affiliated property rather than HGVC developed. I love Carlsbad but there seems to be much more inventory in NV and the Grand Pacific ownership/management in Carlsbad makes me uncertain.

I've never owned a TS before but have been a diamond-level HiltonHonors member for years so now that I'm in the market it seems to make the most sense to buy Hilton.
Its not a good idea to finance a timeshare purchase, you shouldn't be discussing monthly payments with a salesperson, buy resale and pay cash.

The best comeback for when they come up with these lies about resale is: Why would I buy something that loses so many of the benefits that it would be impossible to sell?

Agreed, that is precisely my plan. Good comeback, thanks!

Rascal2016

Reaction score
It looks like they were offering a Studio/Studio Plus in Gold season which is 2,500 points. We don't have listed what the MFs would be in our sticky but I suspect that it would be high also. Many of these shoulder season units, as this one, are some of the worst deals to purchase.

I think that you have already been given sound advice from others in this thread. You also have had the opportunity to "try out the system" via your VIP membership. You can now take your time, research and evaluate. Again, I commend you for not taking that "deal".

Thanks. We've visited the three in Carlsbad and I plan to visit all the Vegas properties when we are there in June. Not a bd kind of research to be doing. I appreciate your input, thanks!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to cautionary tales about not getting clean title when buying resale
If you are worried about getting a clean title, buy from Judi Kozwolski. That's what Hilton and Grand Pacific Resorts do and if they buy resales from her, I suspect they trust that the titles are clean.

That's never happened to anyone who has ever purchased a resale. If they say that to you again, have them put it in writing with their name and then post it on social media and see what happens.
Wow, that would be awesome. I think most of us would purchase resale if we knew we'd never have to do with the "owner updates" and other bogus sales pitches. Sadly, that is not the case. They still hound us the same as they hound all the other owners.

Buy a resale that you know you will use and enjoy. Buy from a reputable resales agent. They are much more helpful and more knowledgable about the system than the direct salespeople.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We all really enjoy the HGVC system but keep in mind your Diamond status means nothing in the timeshare system. It's a totally separate company.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I am new to this game but my brother isn't. He bought from developer at 57th St and subsequent to that only resale. As he said and as others above "points are points". He doesn't even go to any of the other properties he owns and could care where they are. He buys for the cheapest $/point and lowest MF's. While he typically stays in NYC he does occasionally go to other locations.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Any resale purchase converts back from the points system to a fixed week at the deeded property. Not True
2. There is no opportunity to trade weeks within HGVC or RCI if you buy resale; the deeded week is what you get, period. Not True
3. HGVC is unable to do anything with a resale purchase in the future - no upgrades, owner updates, etc. Not True
4. Open season is not available Not True
I was offered 2,500 points every other year for $12,000. Even with my VIP purchase credit, with MF and dues this results in paying about $4,500 for a 3 day weekend every other year for 10 years. Not quite sure why anyone would do that. I could sell you the same thing for $1100.00. Not enough points to take a vacation with.
so maybe all you won't get are upgrades. Count yourself lucky if they do not "upgrade you" That goes for any developer.

I've never owned a TS before but have been a diamond-level HiltonHonors member for years so now that I'm in the market it seems to make the most sense to buy Hilton
Hilton Corporation has diamond status. Hilton Grand Vacation Club has elite status. Two different corporations.

saying that if I had no problem making the VIP payment, I would be fine with the new payment and would have my foot in the door as an owner.
My Father taught me at a young age that if it is consumable, exhaustible, or temporary you should not finance it. That includes vacations.

If you are worried about getting a clean title, buy from Judi Kozwolski. That's what Hilton and Grand Pacific Resorts do and if they buy resales from her, I suspect they trust that the titles are clean.
Great Idea:)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Great Idea:)

Now Judi, I don't see you post for ages, and the one time you do, you endorse someones endorsement of yourself. LOL.