• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

    Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

    Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

    Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

    Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

    Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free!

    60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

    All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

direct exchange

Zac495

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
105
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Via the direct exchange board, I found someone who is interested in my Aruba property for her Newport Coast property in 2008. Here's our question: She wants 1st week in December (I own gold). I want a summer week in Newport Coast (she has the capacity - I forget what season she owns).

I think Dec is the last possible week I can reserve. Do I have to wait until Dec of 2007 to reserve that week for Dec of 2008? If I don't get it, isn't it too late to book that year's useage at all?

Any advice with this type of arrangement? (She's a TUGger, too)
 

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,242
Reaction score
15
Location
Sun City Hilton Head, SC
Yes, unless you own two or more weeks and plan to use the 13-months reservation process, you'll have to wait until 12 months before the planned check-in weekend to reserve that December 2008 week.

Even if the December week you want isn't available, you'll certainly be able to book some week for 2008.

Start with the knowledge that Marriott doesn't sell more weeks than there are owners. Second, even if every other owner has reserved a week by the time you plan to make a reservation in December 2007, there will still be at least some weeks available in December 2007. From a practical standpoint, there will still be a number weeks available in earlier parts of the year, because not every owner plans ahead the way TUGgers do.

Legally and mathematically, you cannot be shut out. Assume a resort where there is only one unit and, thus 32 weeks and 32 owners for the Gold season (weeks 18-49). If all of the 31 other Gold owners (including multiple-week owners who call 13 months ahead) had reserved a week, there would still be one week available for you sometime during that Gold season.

There is a theoretical situation where, if your season lasted all 52 weeks of the year, you could get shut out for 2008, even though you try to reserve a 2008 week before that year starts. But that scenario doesn't apply to your situation.
 

Zac495

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
105
Location
Philadelphia, PA
I'm confused, Dave. Since I own float 18-48, I can try as early as week 18in 2007 if I want week 18. If I want week 26, I have to wait until week 26 2007, correct? So if I wait until week 48 and 48 isn't available, what's left may be the worst weeks.....

Plus - if I don't get the week my direct exchanger wants, but rather one that I don't want either, I'm stuck depositing it into II, right?
 

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,242
Reaction score
15
Location
Sun City Hilton Head, SC
I don't think there is confusion. We are in sync. I believe your statements in your most recent post are accurate.

I was responding to your first post in which you stated, "If I don't get it [the December week], isn't it too late to book that year's usage at all?" And, as I stated, no it won't be too late. There will still be weeks available. However, those weeks will be subject to the risks you mention in your most recent post.
 

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
794
Location
Plymouth, MI
Ellen, here's a thought. Book a week you want earlier in the year. Then when the December week she wants comes around (12 months earlier, of course) call first thing. Talk quick and tell the rep you want to change your reservation. Have them grab the week first and make changes after. It will cost an extra $29 but worth it for the security of having the week you want as a back-up.
 

Zac495

TUG Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,108
Reaction score
105
Location
Philadelphia, PA
Quilter said:
Ellen, here's a thought. Book a week you want earlier in the year. Then when the December week she wants comes around (12 months earlier, of course) call first thing. Talk quick and tell the rep you want to change your reservation. Have them grab the week first and make changes after. It will cost an extra $29 but worth it for the security of having the week you want as a back-up.


Great idea! Thanks to both of you!!!!
 
Top