• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dinner for Two certificate use in Las Vegas, Palm Desert, SF or LA?

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We have a "dinner for two" certificate to use(not the bogo they used to have but the $109 certificate three courses+ that you can now only buy with points), and don't know of any good places to use, since Tuscany died at Palm Desert JW. I have called Renaissance Esmerelda in Indian Wells, and the Sirocco restaurant will take the Dinner for Two, as it is a Marriott restaurant. However, it has mixed reviews. Anyone actually been there recently?

We live close to SF, and will be outside of LA at Christmas if there are any JW restaurants you'd recommend there. I have kind of checked out the SF Marriotts and the restaurants generally do not seem to have the atmosphere I'd normally want for a three course with all the extras. Ours is still good for another year, but gave one to my sister and we have to help her find a good place to use it before the end of 2011. They won't be in LV with us, but could join us in LA, SF, or Palm Desert.

We have used them quite successfully at Desert Ridge, Ko Olina, Paris and Palm Desert. It is always more fun when the server really understands the certificate and comes up with choices which aren't even on the menu. With their tip based on the actual total, it pays them to be creative in helping build the most interesting & delicious evening.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We ate at the Sirocco in October, and enjoyed it. We always make a point of eating at that restaurant when we go to Palm Desert. My wife and I have never had a bad meal there. Consider though that our tastes may be different than yours, and what we think is great you may not. We are not especially demanding people.

It's obvious that I am equivocating here, but I would hate to recommend some place and you go there and hate it and ask "What were they thinking?"

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Steve A- Thanks for your advice. The reviews were pretty good except for a few scattered negatives, and the only reason I am being so careful is that we'll have guests with us, and want it to be a little special for them. If we go there we will probably love it too.

Mr Viker & Educated Consumer, I looked it up and the restaurant is The LA Market Restaurant by Kerry Simon. Think it said he was "the rock and roll chef" on the hotel website. Just have to call to see if it is a Marriott sponsored restaurant as the Dinner for Two has to be used at a Marriott related place, and quite a few restaurants in the JWs are not.

Thanks so much for your help! Edit**********Just called LA Market and they checked with the manager and they do accept the Marriott Dinner for 2 certificates. Apparently the chef was winner and/or close to winning several different chef shows. So now we have at least 2 good choices in the area. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the Sea Grille and Tuscany both closed at the Palm Desert JW there just aren't as many choices! Good luck on finding one that will not disappoint. Have fun,

Janna

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just wanted to update our knowledge of the potential Dinner For Two restaurants near Palm Desert. We were all set to try Sirocco at the Renaissance Esmeralda in Indian Wells when my mom fell and broke her hip (not in Palm Desert, but about 90 minutes away in Claremont)

So we left early and have no first hand report, except that I did confirm by phone with both Sirocco and LA Market that they do accept Dinner for Two certificates. Now that they only sell them for points (20,000) we probably won't buy more.

We lucked out with fabulous sunny (but cool) weather in both Las Vegas and Palm Desert, and really enjoyed the Grand Chateau and the Villas, and the great weather has continued in Southern California as we cheer my mom on in her gorgeous rehab facility.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dinner for 2 ending 12/31/11

For those of you who occasionally redeem 20,000 MR points for dinner for 2, this award is being eliminated on 12/31/11. It is being replaced with dinner gift cards, which will cost 22,000 points for $100. I have found the dinner for 2 to be worth about $150, since we usually use them in resort restaurants, such as Tuscany in JW Phoenix, and at the Marriott Singer Island resort.

This is another case of Marriott downgrading the MR program. You have one day left to redeem for this award.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that Ann has her answer, does anyone know if any of the Marriott properties in Miami/Miami Beach or in the vicinity up to West Palm Beach are worth investing points for their restaurant experience?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that Ann has her answer, does anyone know if any of the Marriott properties in Miami/Miami Beach or in the vicinity up to West Palm Beach are worth investing points for their restaurant experience?

We had an excellent meal (using dinner for 2) at the Solu restaurant in the Marriott Singer Island Resort, which is just north of Oceana Palms. The restaurant has changed names, but is still supposed to be good. It is still listed on the certificate as participating in the program, but I would call first to confirm. The restaurant overlooks the beach and ocean, and the resort will provide complimentary valet parking if you tell them you are dining there.