• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Different car for retirement?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
RFTs (Run Flat Tires) aren't any better than any other tire, and a nail is a nail. Chances are the tire will need replacement. But if he has any sort of warranty on a tire with only 5000 miles on it, it should get replaced for him, at least at a prorated cost. It would depend on where he has the tire checked.

Dave

He went to the dealer. He had texted me something about not purchasing tire insurance.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
He went to the dealer. He had texted me something about not purchasing tire insurance.

Ok. Even if he has to pay for a full replacement tire, it's still only a couple hundred dollars. It's a tire. The same could happen on any vehicle with RFTs. When someone buys a new BMW, they have the option of deleting the RFTs in favor of conventional tires and a spare. But even if your brother had done that, he'd still be on the hook to buy a new tire to replace the one that got the nail.

My point is that this isn't a BMW issue, it's a tire issue. :)

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Concerning Roadhazard warranty: If you don't want to pay the dealer costs, you can go to Discount Tire, NTB, Goodyear ... and purchase it as separate item on new car tires.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Every other month or so Cliff tells me he's test driven a Miata or a Mini Cooper.

I've just been informed that Cliff had a hard time getting in and out of the Miata. And he says it is too small to carry the winch it would take to hoist me out of it. So that's off the list.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner of 3 BMWs, including a 545i. I had nothing but both small and huge electronic and mechanical issues, including the last car, the 545i, towed due to engine failure warning that came on twice within a week and we only had possession of the car for a total of 24 hrs after 5 repair service visits within the 2 weeks. The dealership said they had no idea on the cause of the problems. I dumped the last one, the 545i, at 70K miles and swore off ever owning one again.

We have been very happy Subaru owners but then we sold the last one off when the trunk space on our second Outback was too small to hold 2 sets of golf clubs. Our first Outback had wider trunk space. We weren't thinking when we bought our current car, Lexus ES350, to get wider trunk space. It has been a disappointment and we should have bought a Subaru Legacy to get the wider trunk instead.

Our next car will go back to a wider trunk space and comfortable SUV, which we have not found yet. Since we drive alot, Subaru's superior 4 wheel drive and Eyesight technology cannot be beaten for safety. We will seriously look at the Ascent or Legacy if the Outback continues to be built with narrow trunk space.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We have both a small sedan (Nissan Altima) and an SUV (Toyota Rav4).
Each offers a different driving experience. I enjoy driving them both.

BTW, I got our last set of tires at Sam's Club. Their tire mounting service
($15/tire) includes lifetime balance+rotation & road hazard protection.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still driving a Tundra pickup that I got initially to pull our 5th wheel RV. It's big, comfortable, loaded with options, and a gas hog. The trailer is history. But it's paid for, and I can't see spending 10's of thou$and for a lesser vehicle.

DW bought a Honda plug-in hybrid, so we buy zero gas unless we take a highway trip. It's big, comfortable, snappy to drive around town, and has averaged over 60mpg over 1 1/2 years. The dog has his 'happy place' in the trunk with the back seats folded down.

I'm holding out for an electric pickup, but that may be a lengthy wait. I think the expected Tesla p/u is butt ugly, and the Ford F150 electric is an unknown. No hurry, but so far, none of the offerings raise my pulse. The Toyota is fine.

Jim

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Our most recent purchase (my husband's 2016 Ford Edge) will probably take us into retirement. I drive a 2012 Mini and I plan on driving it until it dies. So far, so good. It is my favorite car of any that I have owned. I will get a few more years out of it and will decide on the next car then.

Before we bought the Edge I sat in the passenger seat of 17 different cars. No lie. I have long legs and Asian cars, especially Honda's and Toyota's hit me at a weird place on the back of my legs and trigger my sciatica. American cars definitely have the most comfortable seats for me, with the German cars a close second. I really, really loved the Lincoln SUV and the smaller Cadillac, but my husband didn't want to drive those ("old lady" cars to him, lol). We will always have some type of crossover, just for ease of getting in and out.

For our retirement years, I think that comfort and reliability will be the most important features.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm holding out for an electric pickup, but that may be a lengthy wait. I think the expected Tesla p/u is butt ugly, and the Ford F150 electric is an unknown. No hurry, but so far, none of the offerings raise my pulse.

Not a fan of the looks of the Tesla pick up truck either. I wonder what Elon was thinking. The Tesla motorcycle looks like it was designed kind of like the truck, lol.

Bill

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e54d734a6a3f542e6237b56bbe9c2e0a&oe=5E83102B

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
LOL. This thread was perfectly timed for us. Picking up the wife’s new RX350 this morning. As of two months ago I was driving a very conservative Nissan Rogue. I am in end stage heart failure but still get around pretty well, albeit on battery power 24/7. I decided I wanted a “little fun again” in my life. Went and purchased a used BMW 435i. I love it. Except, I have to fall into it! Getting out is easier. But, it sure is fun while I’m in it. This thing has better 0-60 and 1/4 mi times than the 1964 GTO with tri power I owned many moons ago. I’m a firm believer you can’t take it with you. As long as the wife is well taken care of is all that matters to me. Our kids already make more than we ever did so they can fend for themselves.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL. This thread was perfectly timed for us. Picking up the wife’s new RX350 this morning. As of two months ago I was driving a very conservative Nissan Rogue. I am in end stage heart failure but still get around pretty well, albeit on battery power 24/7. I decided I wanted a “little fun again” in my life. Went and purchased a used BMW 435i. I love it. Except, I have to fall into it! Getting out is easier. But, it sure is fun while I’m in it.
Go ahead and enjoy it. I, too am on battery power with an Ejection Fraction of 20-25%. I'm enjoying the kick of the electric Honda. My needs are simple, and the rest of the family will be fine. Take good care!

Jim

Reaction score
Now he is trying to find out how to register it in Florida as he is establishing permanent residency there for his retirement.

He can go to the local tag office in the county he is moving to. Florida title transfer fees are $77.25 for an out-of-state title transfer fee for an electronic title, $2 to record a lien, and $225 for a new-to-Florida vehicle fee. Florida uses electronic titles, meaning it's a couple extra dollars if a paper title is requested. Then, he will have a choice between a "basic" tag or one of hundreds of plates that benefit something (sports or charities) for extra cost per year. Of course, if he is moving to the ever-growing Villages, he should plan on following the mantra "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and also buy a golf cart! But, since Florida does not require emissions testing, and our gasoline prices are fair (lower than the west coast and northeast), fuel economy isn't much of an issue.

Transferring/signing up for Medicare is a whole different matter (which is what I do).

TS

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Yep. Dh gave 10 year old Nissan Armada to ds and got a Honda Pilot. He still wanted a larger suv. But Honda gets much better gas mileage, easier to get in/out, and has more safety features like lane departure warnings frontal collision etc. which we thought was a good ideas for 60+. We will likely hand it down to ds or dd in 10 years as well. Also bought extended warranty. 1st time ever. Will be in new city and want convenience of just taking to dealer and not worrying.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Much to our kids' amusement, we've transitioned from a Porsche 911 and BMW X5 to a Chrysler Pacifica van (to haul all the grandkids on trips) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (DH says we "needed" it for rough back roads to hiking trailheads).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
As an owner of 3 BMWs, including a 545i. I had nothing but both small and huge electronic and mechanical issues, including the last car, the 545i, towed due to engine failure warning that came on twice within a week and we only had possession of the car for a total of 24 hrs after 5 repair service visits within the 2 weeks. The dealership said they had no idea on the cause of the problems. I dumped the last one, the 545i, at 70K miles and swore off ever owning one again.

We have been very happy Subaru owners but then we sold the last one off when the trunk space on our second Outback was too small to hold 2 sets of golf clubs. Our first Outback had wider trunk space. We weren't thinking when we bought our current car, Lexus ES350, to get wider trunk space. It has been a disappointment and we should have bought a Subaru Legacy to get the wider trunk instead.

Our next car will go back to a wider trunk space and comfortable SUV, which we have not found yet. Since we drive alot, Subaru's superior 4 wheel drive and Eyesight technology cannot be beaten for safety. We will seriously look at the Ascent or Legacy if the Outback continues to be built with narrow trunk space.

Only lease German cars. Never own a German car out of warranty.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Retired 2003....Bought new Nissan Sentra 2005.....Nothing fancy...I use it to run errands and go fishing..Today I have just 51,500 miles on it..
Wifey Poo has the new SUV...When we drive anywhere far, we use her car...

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got a 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We thought it would be comfier than it is for my husband, who has back and leg problems, but other than that we like it. It's very luxurious compared to the 2004 Corolla we had up till then! I wanted the new safety features, including lane assist, blind spot alert, backup camera, collision avoidance, braking assist, things like that, and so far the ones we've used have been really helpful for aging drivers. Highly recommended for everybody.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
He can go to the local tag office in the county he is moving to. Florida title transfer fees are $77.25 for an out-of-state title transfer fee for an electronic title, $2 to record a lien, and $225 for a new-to-Florida vehicle fee. Florida uses electronic titles, meaning it's a couple extra dollars if a paper title is requested. Then, he will have a choice between a "basic" tag or one of hundreds of plates that benefit something (sports or charities) for extra cost per year. Of course, if he is moving to the ever-growing Villages, he should plan on following the mantra "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and also buy a golf cart! But, since Florida does not require emissions testing, and our gasoline prices are fair (lower than the west coast and northeast), fuel economy isn't much of an issue.

Transferring/signing up for Medicare is a whole different matter (which is what I do).

TS

Well he did transfer one car- but that is a car he owned. This is a leased car.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Go ahead and enjoy it. I, too am on battery power with an Ejection Fraction of 20-25%. I'm enjoying the kick of the electric Honda. My needs are simple, and the rest of the family will be fine. Take good care!

Jim

Shoot, you’re in great shape Jim! My EF is <15 Have had an LVAD for just over three years now. It is what it is.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’ve always been a utility vehicle person. Pickups, Jeeps, vans, SUVs and such were my preferred vehicle, rather than passenger cars. Add in a convertible sports car now and then for fun, and I was always happy.

And then I started to see the frailty of life. After my recent second knee replacement surgery, I’ve had a fair amount of trouble getting into, out of, and driving my Jeep Wrangler. My spouse has never been comfortable riding in it. I had to go to a doctor’s appointment late afternoon the day before Thanksgiving an hour south of me, and I was caught in stop and go traffic for about five hours - it nearly killed me with stiffness, and I could barely walk when I got home. I really enjoyed having the Jeep, but other recent “life” decisions (not moving to Nevada, not buying an RV to retire in [with the Jeep towed behind it]), kind of helped me decide the Jeep needed to find a new home.

So yesterday I bought another BMW. It’s an X1, three year old lease return, still under warranty, loaded with conveniences, easy to drive, turbo engine makes it fast, and it’s a fun car to drive. Spouse loves riding in it, and it’s just “utility” enough to make me happy. With my impending retirement, I think it’ll be a great fit.

So the question is, did you (or do you plan to) get a different car for your retirement years? What did you switch out and what did you get? Curious to know if it’s just me. ;)

Dave

I’m just the opposite. Because I’m tall I can not easily get into a car. I need my SUV for ease of entry. Now that might change in 20 years.

I bought a Toyota Highlander in September hoping this will take me into retirement in 2026. I’m usually able to get 12 years out of my Toyota

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
In my 20s I had a 318i manual BMW. When the speedometer went out and it was $700 to repair, with a blue book of about $4k, I decided that I didn’t really need to know how fast I was going and drove it that way for a good year! I guesstimated from the rpm or just went the speed of everyone else.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
huh just got my first ever Toyota, a Highlander, was seriously thinking this was my retirement car:). Had a few Honda Accords in years prior, dealership here has disappointed me lately. But mostly wanted a AWD , and after seriously considering Subaru ended up with the Toyota. Time will tell

I'm loving my Toyota Highlander... Do you like yours?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Expenses and reliability.

When I retired, I had a truck and 2 cars. Their average age was about 20 years old. I had read that one of the mistakes that people make when they retire is to spend a big chunk on their nest egg (remodeling, motorhome, huge $$ vacation, etc.), so I continued to nurse along those 3 old vehicles doing the servicing and vast majority of the repairs myself. Also, I retired just before the 2008 recession and watched my 401K turn into a 201K. So, I was very conservative in my expenses and budget. After about 6 or 7 years my 401K had significantly recovered and I felt more confident in my finances. Also, my need for having a reliable vehicle was a major growing factor and motivator. I no longer wanted to be "on call" whenever something malfunctioned on my old vehicles.

So I sold the both the old T-bird and the '84 Vette (it was no longer practical and I rarely drove it) and bought an Equinox (with the V6). Great car, ultra reliable and decent mileage. Also, it had enough room for our "drive-to" vacations. Then a few years later I replaced the 22 year old truck with a new Chevy Colorado (truck). Lots of creature comforts but only so-so reliability. It has a small truck bed and camper shell, so it is great for TS trips. The height of the truck required running boards for my wife.

BTW @elaine , when the instrument cluster on the Vette stopped working, I went to GM for a replacement and they quoted $4K for a new cluster (plus installation costs). Yikes!! That nearly took away my breath. I found a company that would take in the "core" and replace it with a refurbished (used) cluster for about $400 or $500. I did the install. Whew!

I have some friends who recently retired and they down sized from 2 vehicles to only one - - a Prius IIRC. They live in Palm Desert, Ca. so the Prius works well for them. Easy to drive, easy to park and low operating cost. It seems like having only one car is working out fine.

Last edited: