• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Difference between Welk Resort and Welk on the Green

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these the same resort? Are they two different places or two locations in one resort? Is one better than the other? If so, in what way?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Same resort, just different phases.

Resort Villas are the oldest phase I believe. All are nice-sized 2 BR units. Mountain Villas are the newest and have 1, 2, and 3 BR units. Villas on the Green have 1 and 2 BR units.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Actually the Welk resort is 3 in 1. (Oops. I see BJR just posted this as I was typing.) There are 3 different sections. I'm pulling some info from Interval's resort directory:

1. Welk Resort Villas (interval code LWR) - these are all 2BR units, and I believe they are the original section that was built (but don't quote me).
  2. Villas on the Green (Interval code VLW) - this section has 1BR units and 2 types of 2BR units (sleeping capacity 4 private, 6 max and sleeping capacity 6 private, 8 max).
  3. Mountain Villas (interval code WMX) - Interval shows that this section has 1BR units, 2 types of 2BR units (sleeping capacity analogous to the Villas units), and 3BR units. I believe that this is the newest section of the resort.
We stayed at the Resort Villas (using an AC) a few years ago. The units were spacious and clean, but not the most up to date. From the pictures on Interval, perhaps they've been updated since we were there, since the photos look different (and nicer) than I recall.

My sweetheart is a very light sleeper. Noise is a major issue for her, and unfortunately the noise from the adjacent I-15 Freeway carries up the hill. When we stayed in the Resort Villas section, we were initially assigned to a room low on the hill and she found the noise unacceptable. Fortunately, a kind desk agent reassigned us to a room near the rear of the resort, quite a bit further up the hill, and that was much better for us.

I'm not a Welk owner, so maybe someone else will fill you in better than I can. You may also get some hints from the TUG reviews of this resort. There are separate reviews for each section of the resort.

We had an enjoyable week at Welk. There's plenty to do in the area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How far is the resort from Mission Bay Area in San Diego?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How far is the resort from Mission Bay Area in San Diego?
Google maps is your friend. It says that it is 41 miles if driving. As of this point in time, it is 41 minutes as well.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Welk owner, so maybe someone else will fill you in better than I can. You may also get some hints from the TUG reviews of this resort. There are separate reviews for each section of the resort.

We had an enjoyable week at Welk. There's plenty to do in the area.

Hi and thank you. I did look at reviews first but couldn't figure out if I was looking at multiple resorts or not. I understand now and 'phases' is a great way to describe them. I wish they were by the ocean. Can you see water from any building? Pond? Lake?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi and thank you. I did look at reviews first but couldn't figure out if I was looking at multiple resorts or not. I understand now and 'phases' is a great way to describe them. I wish they were by the ocean. Can you see water from any building? Pond? Lake?
There are three ponds on the golf course. Take a look at the satellite pix on maps dot google dot com. Golf course views are pleasant too.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
There are three ponds on the golf course. Take a look at the satellite pix on maps dot google dot com. Golf course views are pleasant too.
There is also a fishing pond in Resort Villas area.
It's inland about half an hour +_ from the ocean so this isn't a coastal resort. The HOV lanes on I-15 start near the resort so it's easy to pop in those to bypass traffic when heading into town (if you have more than just yourself).
The Resort Villas are large units in 4 (or so)-plexes with the upper units up half a flight of stairs and the lower down similar. There are 3 sections, each with a pool/activities area with different age focus; one for small kids, one for middle - high schoolers and one with an adult pool.
On the Green are 3 story buildings with more stairs. There are splash pads and other good options for toddlers and such.
Mountain has the water slide.
For adults, I liked the Resort Villas for the size of the units and adult pool. Check the resort map and request a building according to your preferences, especially around noise from the freeway.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I have stayed in all 3 “phases”. I thought they were all quite nice. Interstate 15 is a constant background noise when outside. It never bothered me indoors.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
Resort villas are the oldest and are a true two bedroom/two bath. Nice large deck that is accessible from the central living room and the master bedroom. These are mostly two story units with stairs required to get to the proper floor. There are some single level handicap unit that do not have stairs. These units are divided into Harmony Hill, Broadway Hill, and Melody Hill. Each of the "hills" have a swimming pool. The swimming pool at Melody is adults only. And there is a very nice fitness center there as well. Most craft activities occur at Broadway Hill center. The Harmony Hill center has basketball, volleyball, and shuffle board.
VOG was built next as a three story unit. Each unit is a 2-bed L/O. The VOG units are centered around another large pool area.
Mountain Villas is the most recent and has higher-end decor. As described, lock-offs as well as full 2 beds. There is the Mountain Villas pool in this area.
Throughout the resort, there are outdoor gas grills.
On site there is also a restaurant and two golf courses (executive and 3-par). Pickle Ball/tennis courts are by the entrance and at the Melody Hill rec center. All pools and activities are available to everyone on site regardless of where you are staying. They usually have a large number of activities going on site at all times.
It is about 20 minutes to Oceanside. About 1 hour to San Diego. The Temecula Wine country is about 20-30 minutes north. There are closer wineries in Escondido and Fallbrook.
There is a small grocery store on site. The closest major grocery store is the Vons (Safeway), about 10 minutes south, in Escondido.
more info here: https://www.vacationclubrentals.com/ca/san-diego/the-welk

Last edited:

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Just to add to RunCat's description, there are also two deli markets about 3 miles from the resort. You head south for two miles, then head east up a steep hill (unwalkable) to get to each in Hidden Meadows. They're both great places to get a sandwich or pick up a few groceries. Our favorite is the Meadows Market Deli, the other is The Market. Believe it or not, they're in the same parking lot!