• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did Vistana Extend 120 COVID StarOptions to 12/2022?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I saw reports today elsewhere that they have extended restricted options to end of 2022. Those of you who have some may want to check your account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just checked and mine have been extended to 12/31/2022. The footnotes still reference 12/31/2021 but the Expiring 12/31/2022 is what is showing in the table beside the restricted StarOptions.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
I saw reports today elsewhere that they have extended restricted options to end of 2022. Those of you who have some may want to check your account.

I can confirm that the restricted StarOptions in my account have indeed been extended to 12/31/2022. I’m not really happy about that, it means SO bookings will continue to be tough to get through next year, but it spreads the pain out over a longer period and will allow more people, conceivably, to use those SOs. I wonder if the developer is throwing any of their own inventory into the pool to make it easier for people to redeem SOs in 2021/2022? I’d be surprised if they were, but it seems a bit unfair for them to essentially be giving away “our” (owners') inventory for another year.

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
So if I have 10,475 banked options that expire the end of this year that I don't forsee using, could I make a reservation for just under 60 days away, cancel it and get restricted staroptions that would then be good until the end of 2022? I would have to pay a $50 fee to cancel so not sure if worth it? Don't have experience with this situation so wondering how that would work, or is it only for options that are already labeled as restricted? Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So if I have 10,475 banked options that expire the end of this year that I don't forsee using, could I make a reservation for just under 60 days away, cancel it and get restricted staroptions that would then be good until the end of 2022? I would have to pay a $50 fee to cancel so not sure if worth it? Don't have experience with this situation so wondering how that would work, or is it only for options that are already labeled as restricted? Thanks!
No. That policy ended last October. They would still expire 12/31/2021 and be 60 day restricted. In other words, normal cancellation policy applies to any new cancellations.

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
No. That policy ended last October. They would still expire 12/31/2021 and be 60 day restricted. In other words, normal cancellation policy applies to any new cancellations.
Thanks for the quick reply!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . . I’m not really happy about that, it means SO bookings will continue to be tough to get through next year, but it spreads the pain out over a longer period and will allow more people, conceivably, to use those SOs. . . .

What it will do for me is allow me to use some of the StarOptions as Resort Credits for 2022 bookings. I had too many to use for 2021 and my normal bookings fill out my travel schedule.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I’d prefer if people referred to WKORV/WKORVN as KAA/KAN. I do think it depends on the resort and code. resorts usually get their abbreviations regardless of their II Code. SDO and SBP are two that come to mind that do not match their II code. I may start using KAA and KAN going forward. It’s easier.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’d prefer if people referred to WKORV/WKORVN as KAA/KAN. I do think it depends on the resort and code. resorts usually get their abbreviations regardless of their II Code. SDO and SBP are two that come to mind that do not match their II code. I may start using KAA and KAN going forward. It’s easier.
Easier for whom? I'm going to wager that many people here (myself included) don’t know any of the II codes you want to use, yet everyone can figure out simple abbreviations like WKORV. In two decades of ownership I’ve used II a total of twice, and I have no interest in learning, knowing, or looking up their cryptic codes.

Now if I’m the odd man out and everybody else wants to go that route, I suppose I’d have to be dragged along by the majority.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Easier for whom? I'm going to wager that many people here (myself included) don’t know any of the II codes you want to use, yet everyone can figure out simple abbreviations like WKORV. In two decades of ownership I’ve used II a total of twice, and I have no interest in learning, knowing, or looking up their cryptic codes.

Now if I’m the odd man out and everybody else wants to go that route, I suppose I’d have to be dragged along by the majority.

Clearly I’m referring to KAA and KAN only. Almost Every other resort abbreviation is only 3 letters. I think it’s time we move WKORVN to KAN.

You should learn II. It can sometimes be better than booking with Star Options. I’ve used 44K SO + $59 dollars for a two bedroom at nanea. That would be WNA in interval ;)

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Clearly I’m referring to KAA and KAN only. Almost Every other resort abbreviation is only 3 letters. I think it’s time we move WKORVN to KAN.

You should learn II. It can sometimes be better than booking with Star Options. I’ve used 44K SO + $59 dollars for a two bedroom at nanea. That would be WNA in interval ;)

I wish II wasn't so complicated. I have never found anything in the U.S. I've been interested in on II. I think you must have to "deposit first" to see anything of value, and that requires a leap of faith that I don't have. But I'll have to start checking it more often. To be honest, their website is so confusing and they have so many different ways to book things that it wouldn't even occur to me to look there for something inside SVN. The couple of times I've used II successfully, it's been for international properties in places that Marriott / Vistana will likely never dare to tread.

But that doesn't mean I feel like learning a whole set of codes. All to save typing a couple characters?

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli

Who has the ability to use star options in II?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Who has the ability to use star options in II?

He’s referring to depositing a 1-bed week worth 44k and then trading it via II and paying the $59 fee to upgrade to a 2-bed unit. Or, in II parlance, he took a VKW, VVM, or possibly a SXP, LFP, or SDI, turned around three times, prayed to the exchange gods and got a Nanea week. Simple, eh?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 20 years, I've found a single II exchange that interested me. I exchanged a WKORV studio for a 2BR in the German Alps. Nowadays, I find it significantly easier to rent out any week I don't need and then turn around and get an AirBnB or VRBO rental in many places that don't even have timeshares available. I no longer have any use for II.

I suppose if I owned somewhere hard to rent out for at least the maintenance fee I might use II a little more. However, I don't need to know any of their codes. Local employees refer to WKORV as KOR and the North property is KORN. Nanea is called, well, Nanea.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch

Glad to hear you were able to achieve the II Nanea 2BR...I have an II request in for a 3BR Nanea for June 2022 - hope springs eternal.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
What it will do for me is allow me to use some of the StarOptions as Resort Credits for 2022 bookings. I had too many to use for 2021 and my normal bookings fill out my travel schedule.

I don't know why but this is a lightbulb moment for me. DOH!

I have too many Marriott DC Points affected by the COVID-related Holding Accounts that will now expire next year (which sort of explains why I'm creeping on the Vistana board to see what's happening with your expiration dates,) and for whatever reason yours is the post that made me think, "ah HA, they MAY be used somehow after all!"

Chances are very good that I've read something similar on the Marriott board and it didn't register then so now I expect Marriott people to rake me over the coals. Well-deserved, of course.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope a lot of people use their restricted SOs this way. They’ll get some reasonable value out of them, but without sucking up all the inventory that remains at 120 days.

This year and next will be really bad years to cancel and receive normal, 60-day restricted SOs. There is likely to be zero inventory anywhere at 60 days.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Looks like it’s official:

Vistana
MORE TIME TO RESERVE YOUR HAPPY PLACE
Dear Owner,

It’s time to find your happy place. Vacations are an essential part of a fulfilling life. And now, you’ll have more time to plan your next getaway. The expiration date of your Restricted StarOptions®, which were placed into your account in connection with a reservation canceled as a result of the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been extended from December 31, 2021, to December 31, 2022.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a dumb question here. I just received an email from Vistana today regarding "Expiration Date Extended: More Time to Use Your Banked StarOptions" which moved banked SOs 2021 expiration to Dec 2022. Did your SOs show up as restricted or simply as Banked SOs? I had expiring banked SOs in 2020 which I had applied as resort credits to a 2021 reservation. The resort credits could not be used and were cancelled and returned to me as banked SOs expiring in 2021. They were not restricted. I have since used the banked SOs to make a couple of reservations for this year which I may be cancelling later. I am wondering if these banked SOs will be moved to 2022.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a dumb question here. I just received an email from Vistana today regarding "Expiration Date Extended: More Time to Use Your Banked StarOptions" which moved banked SOs 2021 expiration to Dec 2022. Did your SOs show up as restricted or simply as Banked SOs? I had expiring banked SOs in 2020 which I had applied as resort credits to a 2021 reservation. The resort credits could not be used and were cancelled and returned to me as banked SOs expiring in 2021. They were not restricted. I have since used the banked SOs to make a couple of reservations for this year which I may be cancelling later. I am wondering if these banked SOs will be moved to 2022.
This special treatment is only for restricted SOs which were granted for cancelations before cancelled in 2020 (October or before, when things were closed due to Covid.) I would expect that if you cancel the reservations you've made for this year, you'll get restricted SOs that expire at the end of 2021 and must be used for reservations within 60 days of arrival.

If you have any of those special restricted SOs, they are good for reservations made within 120 days of arrival. But they're not issuing those any more.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This special treatment is only for restricted SOs which were granted for cancelations before cancelled in 2020 (October or before, when things were closed due to Covid.) I would expect that if you cancel the reservations you've made for this year, you'll get restricted SOs that expire at the end of 2021 and must be used for reservations within 60 days of arrival.

If you have any of those special restricted SOs, they are good for reservations made within 120 days of arrival. But they're not issuing those any more.
This is in the email content which I received today. It made no mention of restricted SOs. My banked SOs were to have expired in 2020 and they were returned to me as unrestricted banked SOs with 2021 expiration.
"Dear Owner,

It’s time to find your happy place. Vacations are an essential part of a fulfilling life. And now, you’ll have more time to plan your next getaway. The expiration date of your Banked StarOptions®, which were placed into your account in connection with a reservation canceled as a result of the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been extended from December 31, 2021, to December 31, 2022.

This extension of the expiration date has been automatically applied to your applicable Banked StarOptions and no action is required by you to extend. Visit your Owner Dashboard to explore availability and reserve your next escape. And because vacations mean so much more now, it's nice to know your happy place includes measures for a healthy stay and the reassurance of Marriott’s Commitment to Clean."

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is in the email content which I received today. It made no mention of restricted SOs. My banked SOs were to have expired in 2020 and they were returned to me as unrestricted banked SOs with 2021 expiration.
"Dear Owner,

It’s time to find your happy place. Vacations are an essential part of a fulfilling life. And now, you’ll have more time to plan your next getaway. The expiration date of your Banked StarOptions®, which were placed into your account in connection with a reservation canceled as a result of the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been extended from December 31, 2021, to December 31, 2022.

This extension of the expiration date has been automatically applied to your applicable Banked StarOptions and no action is required by you to extend. Visit your Owner Dashboard to explore availability and reserve your next escape. And because vacations mean so much more now, it's nice to know your happy place includes measures for a healthy stay and the reassurance of Marriott’s Commitment to Clean."
We got the same email even though we had no restricted StarOptions under the 2020 cancellation policy. We do have 2021 expiring banked StarOptions that were not extended.