• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did Vistana Extend 120 COVID StarOptions to 12/2022?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have a dumb question here. I just received an email from Vistana today regarding "Expiration Date Extended: More Time to Use Your Banked StarOptions" which moved banked SOs 2021 expiration to Dec 2022. Did your SOs show up as restricted or simply as Banked SOs? I had expiring banked SOs in 2020 which I had applied as resort credits to a 2021 reservation. The resort credits could not be used and were cancelled and returned to me as banked SOs expiring in 2021. They were not restricted. I have since used the banked SOs to make a couple of reservations for this year which I may be cancelling later. I am wondering if these banked SOs will be moved to 2022.
I don't think that will happen. If you book and cancel now, the current cancellation fee and policy applies. They would go back to the 2021 expiration.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
This is in the email content which I received today. It made no mention of restricted SOs. My banked SOs were to have expired in 2020 and they were returned to me as unrestricted banked SOs with 2021 expiration.
"Dear Owner,

It’s time to find your happy place. Vacations are an essential part of a fulfilling life. And now, you’ll have more time to plan your next getaway. The expiration date of your Banked StarOptions®, which were placed into your account in connection with a reservation canceled as a result of the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), has been extended from December 31, 2021, to December 31, 2022.

This extension of the expiration date has been automatically applied to your applicable Banked StarOptions and no action is required by you to extend. Visit your Owner Dashboard to explore availability and reserve your next escape. And because vacations mean so much more now, it's nice to know your happy place includes measures for a healthy stay and the reassurance of Marriott’s Commitment to Clean."
Maybe they extended regular banked SOs too. I don't know the answer to that. But I'm 100% sure that if you cancel an existing reservation now, the normal cancellation policy is going to apply. If you cancel more than 60 days in advance, you'll get your SOs back with whatever their original expiration date was. Maybe that date will be extended to 2022? I don't know. If you cancel less then 60 days prior, you'll get restricted SO's that expire this year.

Here's the policy:

Vistana Signature Network™ (VSN) reservations made during the Home Resort Reservation Period or the VSN Float Period are subject to the following cancellation policy and may be canceled by calling Owner Services prior to the arrival date of the assigned reservation. Failure to cancel a confirmed reservation prior to the arrival date will prevent the restoration of StarOptions® or Home Options for further use.

Reservations may be canceled 61 days or more prior to arrival with no cancellation fee or Usage Restriction.

Reservations made 60 days or less prior to arrival may be canceled through the following day after making the reservation (before the end of hours of operation, Eastern time) with no cancellation fee or Usage Restriction. After this grace period passes, cancellations and modifications to the reservation — including changes to the arrival or departure date or to Villa type (other than releasing one side of the lockoff for reservations confirmed during the Home Resort Reservation Period) — will incur cancellation fees. Subsequent usage will be restricted to reservations within 60 days of the new requested arrival date for that Use Year and will not be eligible for StarOptions Banking or loyalty points conversion.

Cancellation Fees:

• 60 days–8 days: $50 cancellation fee
  • 7 days or less: $75 cancellation fee

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
This may now create a huge supply & demand problem. Demand will now greatly increase with no increase in supply. I’ll be curious to see what happens when people complain they can’t book anything. 12 month booking priority will now be a huge benefit.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
This may now create a huge supply & demand problem. Demand will now greatly increase with no increase in supply. I’ll be curious to see what happens when people complain they can’t book anything. 12 month booking priority will now be a huge benefit.
Yes, this is why I was hoping they wouldn't extend those options. Better to rip off the band-aid and put 2020 behind us. But they caved to the pressure I guess.

I hope people will use those restricted options for resort credit and the like. They may not have a choice, availability at 120 days in 2021 and 2022 is going to be lousy.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, this is why I was hoping they wouldn't extend those options. Better to rip off the band-aid and put 2020 behind us. But they caved to the pressure I guess.

I hope people will use those restricted options for resort credit and the like. They may not have a choice, availability at 120 days in 2021 and 2022 is going to be lousy.

But these still have the restriction of 120 days (instead of 60) for reservations, correct? If so, I doubt it would have any impact on those of us with banked or unrestricted SOs assuming we plan our trips more than 120 days in advance.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So now that it’s official and vistana is extending RSO for ANOTHER year, what will people complain about now? I’d rather they not be extended and people complain so there will be plenty of availability in 2022. Luckily for me, I’ll have plenty of non RSO for 2022, so I can make my bookings at 8 months.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So now that it’s official and vistana is extending RSO for ANOTHER year, what will people complain about now? I’d rather people complain and there be plenty of availability in 2022. Luckily for me, I’ll have plenty of non RSO for 2022, so I can make my bookings at 8 months.

I’m waiting to see if Marriott extends our credit card award nights for another year. Currently they expire on August 1st, and at least for myself I’m not sure I’m traveling before then yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’m waiting to see if Marriott extends our credit card award nights for another year. Currently they expire on August 1st, and at least for myself I’m not sure I’m traveling before then yet.

That I’m not anticipating. I’m sure they will gladly let those expire

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That I’m not anticipating. I’m sure they will gladly let those expire

I’ve read some comments that they will allow their use past the expiration date if there’s a booking ready to place. But yes, I don’t expect them to extend further, though I think that would be the consumer friendly policy.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’ve read some comments that they will allow their use past the expiration date if there’s a booking ready to place. But yes, I don’t expect them to extend further, though I think that would be the consumer friendly policy.

I think most companies have really been consumer friendly on the whole. There will be some instances where we lose out but for the most part, consumers have benefitted. The 50% previous year elite night credit already has put me at platinum for 2022 and I’m 4 nights away from titanium again. I’ve been making use of award nights so I’m not losing much. Do a stay cacation if you can! Better to use it than lose it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think most companies have really been consumer friendly on the whole. There will be some instances where we lose out but for the most part, consumers have benefitted. The 50% previous year elite night credit already has put me at platinum for 2022 and I’m 4 nights away from titanium again. I’ve been making use of award nights so I’m not losing much. Do a stay cacation if you can! Better to use it than lose it.

I’m not rationalizing the benefit. I paid for those free hotel nights via my annual credit card fee. I want to be able to use them. That’s not asking too much, is it? In any case, I don’t expect them to extend the date, but since you asked what we are going to worry about now...I answered you! :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’m not rationalizing the benefit. I paid for those free hotel nights via my annual credit card fee. I want to be able to use them. That’s not asking too much, is it? In any case, I don’t expect them to extend the date, but since you asked what we are going to worry about now...I answered you! :)

Very true! You should be able to use them. In the event you can’t use them, I can! Haha

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Very true! You should be able to use them. In the event you can’t use them, I can! Haha

$95 each and they might be yours!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
$95 each and they might be yours!

That’s actually not a bad price. Unless of course you’re booking me in a Fairfield inn. If that’s the case, the waffle maker better be operational

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I believe the owner of the credit card nights must be present at check in. No?

No, you can put a guest on the reservation. At least, that's what I was told a few years ago when I almost booked a room for someone else.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was told otherwise by an agent whom I spoke with last year.

That’s really surprising and contradicts what I was told. Then again this is Marriott we’re referring to, which is a company that hasn’t exactly been entirely accurate with their policies. Anyway, I may ultimately end up testing this in the next few months, as I suspect I will give a couple nights away.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I’d rather they didn’t extend the restricted SO to next year. I understand that many people didn’t want to travel because of the pandemic. However, extending will just prolong inventory issues. The next two years will not be pretty in terms of availability I suggest using what you can now.

I see people thinking it will be harder to book in 2022. I don't think that will be the case at all.

Some people borrowed points from next year to travel this year because more rooms were open at the last minute due to reduced travel. Also, home resort privilege is not impacted at all. You can still book at 12 months while those with restricted options are still limited to 120 days or 60 days (whatever they decided). Advanced planning solves any room crunch for home owners.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I see people thinking it will be harder to book in 2022. I don't think that will be the case at all.

Some people borrowed points from next year to travel this year because more rooms were open at the last minute due to reduced travel. Also, home resort privilege is not impacted at all. You can still book at 12 months while those with restricted options are still limited to 120 days or 60 days (whatever they decided). Advanced planning solves any room crunch for home owners.
I agree. I think you’ll see much less last minute inventory. I can’t wait for people to complain when they can’t book 120 day restricted Star options at 8 months haha

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
I'm glad they did this. I should be part of the group that doesn't want this as I was fortunately able to shuffle and re-book my restricted star options for this year so I'd be better off personally without the extension. But it's an owner benefit that I like to see Vistana adjust in our favor. Note to self, book prior to 120 days next year.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
So... Now that we are in 2022 with less than 12 months left for those restricted banked 120 day staroptions, did anyone notice less availability for 2022 spring weeks? The 120 restricted options can book out to about May 10, 2022 at this point.