• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did Marriott buy out Sheraton Buganvilias in PV? [Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club]

1950panda

TUG Member
Reaction score
We heard this and want to confirm and if so what impact it will have on our stay. We have enjoyed the Buganvilias and always found it a friendly reseort, eager to satisfy guests and remedy a problem. I was what changes we could expect with Marriott and the experience of owners.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Buganvilias Resort in Puerto Vallarta is neither a part of Starwood Vacation Network nor of Marriott Vacation Club. I only mention this because TUG BBS is primarily a discussion of timeshare resorts. This particular forum is about Marriott Vacation Club.

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort a Sheraton-branded property. Sheraton is one of the 11 brands of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Late last year, Marriott International reached an agreement to buy Starwood. The deal should close around the middle of this year. Then, Sheraton will be one of the 30 brands of the combined company. Eventually, the reservation systems and loyalty programs of Starwood and Marriott will be combined.

The acquisition should have very little effect on the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort, if the property is in good shape and is well run. The owners of the resort will pay their franchise fees to the new, bigger Marriott International.

Many people hope that Marriott will force substandard Sheratons to comply with brand standards, or else find themselves culled from the brand portfolio. Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson has already talked about this.

When I saw this posting, I thought it might involve another hotel acquisition by Marriott Vacations Worldwide, the company that owns Marriott Vacation Club. I don't think that's the case here. If there's any other buy-out news about the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Good clarification Werner, but also note that as there is no non-timeshare Marriott board, its customary to post all Marriott related posts here, such as hotel discounts, Rewards, etc.

But always good to clarify whether TS related or not.

1950panda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. I am new to TUG and just getting used to how things worked and we just bought at Sheraton Buganvilias

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks so much for the information. I am new to TUG and just getting used to how things worked and we just bought at Sheraton Buganvilias

Just for clarification, you purchased at Buganvilias Resort Vacation Club. I don't think it has any official association with Sheraton or Starwood other than it is located on or at the same property as the Sheraton hotel/resort that is also there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, some of the sales people at resorts that share property with Starwood/Sheraton managed hotels try to represent the timeshare they are selling as being part of Starwood/Sheraton Vacation Network - we have heard this multiple times.

1950panda - If you bought this from the developer, and it's not too late, you should rescind immediately. I am sure you can acquire this property on the resale market, for a fraction of the developer's price.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
We heard this and want to confirm and if so what impact it will have on our stay. We have enjoyed the Buganvilias and always found it a friendly reseort, eager to satisfy guests and remedy a problem. I was what changes we could expect with Marriott and the experience of owners.
We heard the same story too from the people who try to sign you up for a presentation the moment you check in. We were not even allowed to take an update this year because we are in Building B which is the small ocean-front building.

All owners in our building have a weekly meeting each Monday to talk about a special assessment. They are going to refurbish all the oceanfront condos and will follow up with a private meeting to let you know how much it is.

We met up with the person in charge and asked him about the rumor about the Sheraton "merging" with the Marriott. He had not heard about it and he used to be the sales manager there before he took over this project so I don't believe that the rumor of the club "fusing" with the Marriott is true. That is the word they used in the lobby. Did they tell you that in the sales department too?

Several years ago they told us that the Malecon was going to extend all the way down to our resort and that we would have the underwater aquarium right next door with a small marina on top of it to tie up little boats so people could eat and shop on this end of the Malecon. None of these plans materialized because the economy has to improve so the merchants would have enough business. This is what his answer was.

I hope that we do not have to pay the special assessment so that the Hotel Resort can rent out our oceanfront condos (Suites) but we are paying the bill. :rolleyes: We don't remember a Special Assessments mentioned in our contract like it is with the Mayan Palace. We are waiting for a copy of our contract so haven't paid yet.

PS. http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238035
Please, read the link in post #1 as that will explain more about the plans that the Sheraton has.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Special assessments are covered in the contract. There would be no need to specifically mention one.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks for the information. We own a week in the Sky Suites and go every year the week of Thanksgiving. We did not take the option for the informational breakfast because the year before they only wanted to sell us another week.

We often use one of our bonus weeks and generally are assigned unit 1280 that is oceanfront in building D (awesome location). This past November we watched them build most of the jetty that will be the new beach area.

We love the Buganvilias and do hope it continues to stay "unaffiliated" with any of the mega timeshare companies.