• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I get a good deal? Vidanta.

Ksmash

Reaction score
Hello,

new here and first post after reading many threads for the last couple days. I’ll get straight into it. Me and my fiancé came down on a free week offered to her parents who have a time share and couldn’t go. They added us to their timeshare and upon check we were told to meet with the timeshare sales people some time while we’re down here, so we did. Her parents are founders and purchased this time share in the 90’s I believe and only used it once. The last offer or comment on the account was “upon next stay member may add an additional week, or upgrade to a 2 bedroom at the 2005 price” now this caused some problems. They said this is a liability and they didn’t know how to interpret this? Or how they can offer us anything at a price from 15 years ago. We had to meet with multiple people and someone from legal. A day later they had a couple offers. One was just flat out too expensive, the other was a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom at two of their new resorts that aren’t built yet (one is a theme park and the other is an adult only resort). And also the Mayan palace at 7 weeks a year for $24,400.

I’m sure their are many details I am missing. A couple of my concerns, this is a separate time share and not an upgrade at this point so me and my fiancé would have our own time share and her parents would keep theirs. Also the Mayan palace is old. The rooms at the new resorts look amazing but aren’t going to be available for another year or two?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello,

new here and first post after reading many threads for the last couple days. I’ll get straight into it. Me and my fiancé came down on a free week offered to her parents who have a time share and couldn’t go. They added us to their timeshare and upon check we were told to meet with the timeshare sales people some time while we’re down here, so we did. Her parents are founders and purchased this time share in the 90’s I believe and only used it once. The last offer or comment on the account was “upon next stay member may add an additional week, or upgrade to a 2 bedroom at the 2005 price” now this caused some problems. They said this is a liability and they didn’t know how to interpret this? Or how they can offer us anything at a price from 15 years ago. We had to meet with multiple people and someone from legal. A day later they had a couple offers. One was just flat out too expensive, the other was a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom at two of their new resorts that aren’t built yet (one is a theme park and the other is an adult only resort). And also the Mayan palace at 7 weeks a year for $24,400.

I’m sure their are many details I am missing. A couple of my concerns, this is a separate time share and not an upgrade at this point so me and my fiancé would have our own time share and her parents would keep theirs. Also the Mayan palace is old. The rooms at the new resorts look amazing but aren’t going to be available for another year or two?

RESCIND
- at Member Services ( not sales)
- you only have 5 days from signing

Regardless of price - you don’t know enough about what you bought
This deal or similar will be there next time.

Great resorts

<Vida Sales is good at what they do as well - which is sell >

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're still within your right of recission period, you need to rescind IMMEDIATELY.
Follow the instructions in your contract TO THE LETTER.

You can do much, much better than what you've currently paid.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save 24k!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I have been an owner at Vidanta since 1999 and owned at several levels - this is NOT a good deal. As others have said - go to Member Services and rescind immediately. Do not go to Sales.

Follow the instructions - they have been pretty much the same since 1999. These should be in the GENERAL PROVISIONS section of the paperwork. The information is in the middle of that paragraph. It is in the Middle packet (and middle page) of the 3 packets that we have. and is called Agreement for Lodging Rights and Services at the top of those pages.

1605973588714.png

Good Luck!

Ksmash

Reaction score
I appreciate the quick feedback by everyone. The general consensus is to rescind. I am just trying to get an idea of what other people have paid and if the $24k I was quoted is less than what you would normally pay for this package. Looking for some more facts I guess?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying from the developer is NEVER a good buy. In fact NEVER buy a TS in Mexico. They are too easy to rent at a low price- usually less than the annual maintenance fee. Oh, and I should add, if you buy in Mexico- you don't actually 'own' anything. There's no deed. It's simply a right to use the developer's property- and THEY control the annual cost.

It's your $24,000 to spend as you wish, but it's NOT a 'good deal'- except to the developer.

Jim

travel maniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ksmash - Not sure what you mean by "looking for some more facts"?!! You've got good advice from other Tuggers and I'll second their suggestion - RESCIND! We're not owners at Vidanta but have owned different timeshares for the past 20 years.

You only have a limited time to rescind. However you have lots of time to research (and "find facts") and buy something later either from the developer or in the secondary market(generally for pennies on the $$). From reading the Vidanta boards here on TUG, happy owners at Vidanta generally know the pros and cons of the system/properties, visit the locations for their own use (and not exchange), and are savvy enough to negotiate their terms BEFORE buying.

Good luck!

Ksmash

Reaction score
Again, thanks all for the feedback.

@travel maniac - thank your for responding, what I am trying to say is how do I know this is a bad deal? Looking for more facts or input on why this would not be worth it?

As someone has stated, yes it is my $24k to spend I get that. I am being told by the sales team that what I am purchasing normally sells for $300k +. The only reason I am getting this deal at this price is because of an offer made in 2005 that says upon the next visit we are eligible to upgrade at current prices(2005). Being that it is 15 years later, I feel that paying $24k for rooms at the new properties is a good deal if they normally sell for over $300k.

my biggest concern is I have no way to verify what prices the new properties actually sell for? Or what those timeshares sale for? Or that I am in fact getting the “good Deal” that is essentially being advertised.

thanks again.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Vida Vacations, the selling arm for Vidanta has a very hard sell reputation and is quite good at what they do, persuading people to buy. Vidanta builds out their resorts for high season demand and has quite a lot of excess inventory in the shoulder and low seasons. Only consider buying there if you want to go their in January through March; the rest of the year it is much less expensive to exchange in using an ownership elsewhere and there are many ways you can do that because that is how they get new customers. I am a Vidanta owner and am happy with my ownership, but recognize that I paid much more than would be prudent financially as compared to other potential investments - I own there in order to use it in the high season.

The view that you'd be getting something for $24K that someone else has paid over $300K is a sales tactic they are using to try to persuade you to buy. It's clearly having some effect as intended. Whether or not someone else paid that much shouldn't matter to you - you need to figure out if the $24K they want from you is worth it for what they are offering and whether you can really afford it.

fleecer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
A Welk rep pulled a similar routine on us once way back when we were still sitting down w them for "ownership updates". The person signing us out told us that because of a paperwork screw-up, we were actually entitled to buy our next points a below-market price, but we'd have to press it with the first salesperson. It was pretty obvious.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Eric is correct - thinking you are getting something worth $300,000 for $24,00 is a sales tactic.

My guess is that you are basically paying for 1 week at the new place that is not built. Read that contract - some only allow you to stay there once or twice in the time frame of ownership. The 7 weeks MP are basically bonus weeks that can only be used at some times. If you are willing to pay that - it is your money. I think you could have bought it for that without your parents contract. I am pretty sure that theres is no longer valid not that you have upgraded. Another thing to check in your documents - I have pages for the units that we used for our upgrades with those contract numbers. They are then available for resale to others.

Just read that contract more than once and underline things you are not sure about. What they tell you in the sales presentation is not always in the contract and they only honor what is in the contract. Check to find what they told you. It could be totally different. I tend to keep a highlighter in my travel bag and highlight questions and then make notes on things they told me would be there but are not there! We have gone back to the Customer Service more than once in our 5 days.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

@travel maniac - thank your for responding, what I am trying to say is how do I know this is a bad deal? Looking for more facts or input on why this would not be worth it?

As someone has stated, yes it is my $24k to spend I get that. I am being told by the sales team that what I am purchasing normally sells for $300k +. The only reason I am getting this deal at this price is because of an offer made in 2005 that says upon the next visit we are eligible to upgrade at current prices(2005). Being that it is 15 years later, I feel that paying $24k for rooms at the new properties is a good deal if they normally sell for over $300k.

my biggest concern is I have no way to verify what prices the new properties actually sell for? Or what those timeshares sale for? Or that I am in fact getting the “good Deal” that is essentially being advertised.

thanks again.

I hope you don't truly believe that what you spent $24K for is worth over $300K...,,,

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

thanks again.
You can use a free trader to trade into Vidanta any time. You will have to pay your maintenance fees on what you own plus resort fees (varies) but it will still be a better deal. I'm not selling you anything so I have no skin in this game. My info is 100% true, I promise. If you want to get this deal I'm sure that you could call them back at some point in the future and they would gladly sell it to you. But this is your one opportunity to walk away with your 24k. Give yourself some breathing room.

musictom

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we bought in 2002, the "original" price quoted was $125K. But, because of this circumstance, the fact that they are "renting back" our first and last five years, blah, blah, blah, we got an INCREDIBLE deal, and only had to pay $17K.

Several weeks later, I find TUG (too late to rescind). Guess what I found out: EVERYBODY got the same deal as I did. The price is ALWAYS $17K. To think you took advantage of some amazing 2005 loophole is exactly what they want you to believe.

I'll give you one example of the tactics used to sell: on our initial arrival at the sales office, we were given a form to fill out, asking about income, types of vacations, whether or not we own a timeshare, etc. 5 minutes later, our salesperson came back apologizing, saying that the program they were selling was only for people who own timeshares, and understand the value of timeshares. They don't want to waste time educating non-owners on the benefits of timeshare ownership.

However ...

Since we were here, and were promised a tour, they would make a one time exception in our case, as long as we promised to look at things with an open eye. Of course, we took the bait hook, line and sinker.

Two days later, I'm chatting with somebody who also purchased. There story was the complete opposite: "I'm sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we shouldn't have brought you here. This program is only for first time timeshare purchasers, per Mexican law. We normally are not allowed to sell to current timeshare owners. However, since you're here, we'll bend the rule for you this one time only. PLEASE don't tell your timeshare owning friends that we did this for you, or I'll get fired!" :)

Long story short: sales people will tell you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, including having you think you just purchased $300K worth of timeshare for $24K. Hate to break it to you, but EVERYBODY is paying the $24K price.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
Good plan

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Or how they can offer us anything at a price from 15 years ago.

They can offer whatever they want for a Mayan Palace - it is the entry level now (used to ge Sea Garden was the "starter" units). Most of the 2 bedrooms were bought years ago from $15,000- $19,000 and then Vidanta got that money plus the annual Maintenance fees AND the 5 year renovation fees of another MF. Then, folks gave them back when they upgraded to a Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, then to Grand Luxxe.

So, how many times do you think a MP unit has changed hands with the same or little higher price with now beginning higher MF fees? I can't imagine, but do know that not too many of us who bought before 2002 still have their MP unit, and many have upgraded to more than one higher level. So that "Starter" timeshare has been sold many times over the years. Once they get you and you see the newer snazzier units, you are willing to give them more money. Kind of like your first car was most likely used and it took a while to get that brand new SUV with all the bells and whistles. There is always a need for those older units at a lower price.

Now that they have gone to the No Pay unless you Go plan, they can sell even more! Lots of folks do not go or pay MF and make an exchange. All that up-front money is theirs!

Ksmash

Reaction score
Update- siting in member services and they basically told me this is a shit deal. Not an upgrade, but a new contract. We already have $21k in equity and the 2005 price was never offered to us. He said with this type of money and equity I can offer you any room. The gentleman I’m sure is going to offer more but I am standing firm on my decision to rescind. Unless I can some how squeeze some free upgrades. I am not giving them any money at this point.

I want to thank you all! Especially @pittle thank you for all your help sir!

I will update you all shortly on the final outcome.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Way to go! I am proud of you! Loved our private conversations! Keep hanging around TUG - you will learn a lot about more than timeshares!

PS - I'm a mam. :)

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bought, which really isn’t clear to me. You need to cancel,rescin immediately. You are getting solid advice from experienced long term timeshare owners. Please please don’t ignore the knowledge by thinking you know better or this is a special deal just for you. If others have not made it clear enough no amount of upgrades worth this price none,no,nada. Maybe a few thousands to be able to use Grand Luxe or Grand Bliss resorts. Even then. Vidante is such a huge organization there are so many ways to get into their resorts without buying a contract. Cheap cheap cheap. Why put the money out to an organization that wouldn’t even honor the contract your future in laws purchased from them. Why can’t they sell at 2005 prices or even prices from the 90’s when people are literally giving away most resort contracts and even paying you to take them. Also don’t forget about the yearly maintenance fees in addition to contract purchase. You can easily rent from owners for less money. Or get the resort through an exchange company.
Why not just use your future In laws contract until it expires to see if you really want to take the leap. If they have been paying maintenance fees each year since the 90’s you might even be able to get some back years reinstated. I know it’s possible as I did this for a friend once you just have to be persistent. You have all the time to do research and keep asking questions and then decide if you want to buy something. Unless your ready to pay cash no financing involved your not ready to buy.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update- siting in member services and they basically told me this is a shit deal. Not an upgrade, but a new contract. We already have $21k in equity and the 2005 price was never offered to us. He said with this type of money and equity I can offer you any room. The gentleman I’m sure is going to offer more but I am standing firm on my decision to rescind. Unless I can some how squeeze some free upgrades. I am not giving them any money at this point.

I want to thank you all! Especially @pittle thank you for all your help sir!

I will update you all shortly on the final outcome.

Remember; You only have FIVE days to rescind. Be sure to use REGISTERED MAIL when you do rescind.

If you don't do it right, or do it timely, then you own it!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Ksmash, it looks like you are doing the right thing, but I think this will be a LOOOng and unpleasant day. Sorry you are going through it, but persevere. It will work out for the best. Sign NOTHING!

All the BEST!

Jim

Ksmash

Reaction score
Way to go! I am proud of you! Loved our private conversations! Keep hanging around TUG - you will learn a lot about more than timeshares!

PS - I'm a mam. :)

I am so sorry! Yeah feel so sexist now assuming you were a man! My sincerest apology.