• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Did I buy right

wildcat1313

Reaction score
We just got back from cancun Mexico and ended up buying a RCI PLATINUM membership for 6k, 790/- membership renewal fee every 10 years, first 2 years paid with access to 150,000 resorts, 399/- per week of vacation up to 90 weeks. Is this a good buy. We didn't want to buy but we thought this was too good a offer to pass. They also have is free cruise either to Alaska or carribean.
Is it a good decision. Experts please chime in. I still have a day to cancel based on Mexican laws if I'm not wrong.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can buy the same thing on the resale market for 0-10% of what you paid.

RESCIND NOW

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We didn't want to buy but we thought this was too good a offer to pass.

There are always great deals for lots of stuff that you don't want to buy. Don't buy any of them.

Get out now and then come read these forums to learn about buying a timeshare for as little as $1.00 if you ever want one. However, you may decide that you never want one. Main point right now is that you didn't want to buy one and you did. It would be a bad choice to buy from the developer if you did want it. Since you didn't want, it is a horrible, awful, terrible choice.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You really should rescind. You will find that all those promises are not backed up by what's contained in the text of your contract. You paid $6,000 for something worth exactly zero. You can get Mexican TSs for free every day of the year, and rent them for less than the maintenance fees.

Bail out while you can Write the letter and get it postmarked TODAY! Better you have the $6K than the developer.

The letter need not be anything fancy or legalese. Just: I/We wish to cancel contract #________, dated 2/XX/2015

Signed______________Husband______________Wife

Best wishes......

Jim

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Nothing That The Timeshare Companies Sell At Full Freight Is Worth The Money.

Is this a good buy.
No.

Get out of it while you can -- if you can.

Buy timeshares resale. Save thousands of dollars on exactly the same thing as full freight, or the equivalent, or something even better.

And remember: There is no such thing as a new timeshare. Buy the time you show up & check in, other people will have been staying previously right there in your timeshare unit. That's used-used-used any way you shake it, & there's no sense paying new prices for any item that is actually not new.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from cancun Mexico and ended up buying a RCI PLATINUM membership for 6k, 790/- membership renewal fee every 10 years, first 2 years paid with access to 150,000 resorts, 399/- per week of vacation up to 90 weeks. Is this a good buy. We didn't want to buy but we thought this was too good a offer to pass. They also have is free cruise either to Alaska or carribean.
Is it a good decision. Experts please chime in. I still have a day to cancel based on Mexican laws if I'm not wrong.

Rescind now and save yourself thousands of dollars. Never ever buy from a developer. Always buy resell either on TUG, eBay (check with us first to see if the seller is legit) or another reseller (check with us first). You can thank Brian and this website for saving you all that money...

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel immediately. You need to know much more before committing to buying. For starters, RCI is a timeshare exchange company, not a timeshare. You must have bought at a timeshare and an RCI membership was included along with the purchase. It's very important to know a lot about a timeshare before you own there. You want to do a lot of research before buying anything.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG, you just saved thousands of dollars =)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear an echo, an echo --- rescind, rescind...

No, not a "good buy" and not a "good decision". Also certainly not "too good an offer to pass on" and you will never actually be able to obtain and use any "free" Alaskan or Caribbean cruises ---that's utter nonsense and it just ain't ever gonna happen. The hoops and hurdles and obstacles and hidden charges of "free" (...there is no "free", btw) are clearly just not yet actually known to you.

Get your rescission later written and postmarked yesterday, while there is time to reverse a waste of six thousand dollars now, with more money going right down the same drain every year hereafter.

Last edited:

wildcat1313

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the information. I think I'm out of 2600$. I signed the contract on 02/12 and today is the 02/19. So I missed cancellation by a day. I still ended up sending the letter of cancellation. Can I dispute the charges with my credit card company?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course you can dispute the charge. You could cancel the charge card, but then if they wanted to refund your down payment, they couldn't. The seller might still allow the rescission. It depends on who you bought from. Some are more lenient than others. What resort (or group) was it? RCI is simply an exchange company, not an entity that sells timeshares.

You'll know they are allowing the rescission if you start getting calls asking why you want to rescind. Otoh, if they start calling wanting the rest of their money, that's not such a good sign.

Good Luck, Amigo.

P.S. being out $2600 is still better than being out $6k, and a grand or so a year.

wildcat1313

Reaction score
Of course you can dispute the charge. You could cancel the charge card, but then if they wanted to refund your down payment, they couldn't. The seller might still allow the rescission. It depends on who you bought from. Some are more lenient than others. What resort (or group) was it? RCI is simply an exchange company, not an entity that sells timeshares.

You'll know they are allowing the rescission if you start getting calls asking why you want to rescind. Otoh, if they start calling wanting the rest of their money, that's not such a good sign.

Good Luck, Amigo.

P.S. being out $2600 is still better than being out $6k, and a grand or so a year.

We bought it from Pure Life Style Destinations or PVL. Is there a legal implications or a credit hit if I don't pay the remaining 3400?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

wildcat1313

Reaction score
When you rescind, it legally backs you out of the purchase, so you have no future obligation: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

Since there is no mention of cancellation in my contract, can I dispute it saying that I was not aware of the law? I did not know where to send the cancellation. Why this was not put in the contract or why I was not told? I know I have lost my 2600, but I don't want to go down without giving it a fight.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since there is no mention of cancellation in my contract, can I dispute it saying that I was not aware of the law? I did not know where to send the cancellation. Why this was not put in the contract or why I was not told? I know I have lost my 2600, but I don't want to go down without giving it a fight.

In the U.S., it is a simple and straightforward matter of state law that you must be provided with written notification of your rescission rights at the time of contract execution, although the rescission period allowed varies among individual states (from as few as 3 to as many as 15 days (in Alaska only). In the majority of U.S. states, it's 5-7 days.

That being said, I for one can't (and don't) claim know whatever it is that masquerades as (...ahem) "law" in Mexico :rolleyes:. There is a quasi-governmental entity in Mexico called PROFECO that you can contact to attempt to enlist for support. It would certainly be worth contacting PROFECO to at least find out precisely what rescission notification requirements might exist south of the border --- and thereby determine whether or not your seller fully complied with any such requirements. All I can tell you with any certainty is that it is unlawful (...yes, unlawful even in Mexico) for the seller to attempt to get you to sign away or "waive" your rescission rights.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why this was not put in the contract or why I was not told?

Because the timeshare sales people in Mexico are the worst in the business.

Be sure you read the article that I posted above for all the details about how to rescind.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
File a Claim with PROFECO

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/revista/publicaciones/otras_pub_09/tiempos%20compartidos%20inglesV.pdf

By law, you have five business days to cancel the contract after you have signed it. If you decide to cancel the purchase within this period, notify the developer by email and certified mail. Keep the receipt as evidence you cancelled on time.

You should receive a prompt refund of all the money you have paid, without any cancelling penalties, within fifteen business days.
If the developer refuses to do so or arguments you resigned to this right when signing the contract, you may contact us at extranjeros@profeco.[EMAIL="extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx"][EMAIL="extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx"]gob.mx[/EMAIL][/EMAIL].

To submit a formal complaint, you must send the following paperwork: a brief description of the problem, copy of the contract and of your ID.

I was surprised that PROFECO was running public service type commercials on the Radio Station that broadcasts the San Diego Chargers games into the Los Angeles Market XTRA

Last edited:

torontobuyer

Reaction score
You could cancel the charge card, but then if they wanted to refund your down payment, they couldn't.

I think you are wrong. I always call my credit card and report it "misplaced" whenever I'm concerned a company has a history of automatic charging. If I make a payment or return an item with that card, the credits still show up.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you are wrong. I always call my credit card and report it "misplaced" whenever I'm concerned a company has a history of automatic charging. If I make a payment or return an item with that card, the credits still show up.

I don't think that works. When you report your card "misplaced" they link both cards for a period of time. Anything charged on the old card will still show up on the new. This is why credits to the old card showed up on your new card. It's not just a credit, it's any transaction. After a certain period of time they will terminate the link, so your method does work for things like an unwanted annual renewal.

But the original statement was about cancelling, not reporting "misplaced". If there is a clear security issue with the card they will not just link a new number. They will completely terminate the old card and issue a new one. There will be a break in service until the new card is received and activated. When this happens you cannot continue to use or receive a credit on the old card.

Last edited:

wildcat1313

Reaction score
I don't think that works. When you report your card "misplaced" they link both cards for a period of time. Anything charged on the old card will still show up on the new. This is why credits to the old card showed up on your new card. It's not just a credit, it's any transaction. After a certain period of time they will terminate the link, so your method does work for things like an unwanted annual renewal.

But the original statement was about cancelling, not reporting "misplaced". If there is a clear security issue with the card they will not just link a new number. They will completely terminate the old card and issue a new one. There will be a break in service until the new card is received and activated. When this happens you cannot continue to use or receive a credit on the old card.

I spoke to my credit card and have disputed the charges. They have opened an investigation. Let see how it goes. They are also going to block the company from making any future charges to my credit card. Even if the charge goes through I will not be responsively for it as per the agent.

I have send a cancelation letter by registered post.
Also I have filed a dispute with profeco. Plus I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they have to say.
Hopefully I will get my money back.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DON'T call the timeshare office, they will only put a lot of pressure on you to take back the recession, tell you more lies, and make you uncomfortable.

There is absolutely NO reason to call - unless you'd like to be tortured a little more..

wildcat1313

Reaction score
DON'T call the timeshare office, they will only put a lot of pressure on you to take back the recession, tell you more lies, and make you uncomfortable.

There is absolutely NO reason to call - unless you'd like to be tortured a little more..

Thank you!! Appreciate all your advice.

wildcat1313

Reaction score

Do you think the deal I got is worth keeping? We love traveling and for 399/- in a max 3 bedroom /3bath resort for 399/- a week didn't seem bad when we bought it. Of course it's subject to availability plus an initial cost of 6000$ Out of which I have already paid 2500. So what do you guys think? Keep it in case we are not able to cancel?