• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond vs. Wyndham?

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Just curious how these two systems compare. I'm pretty well-versed in the Wyndham system but don't know much about DRI.

For the most part, we're pleased with the MFs, locations, quality, and user interface of the WYND website. However, there's some nickel & diming that can be annoying, and the constant badgering for sales presentations gets tiresome. They also closed down the Chicago location which was a favorite of ours.

We love Sedona & see that Diamond has a bunch of resorts there. We'd love a bit more variety in some of the mountain west, like maybe Utah & Idaho.

We're resale owners & would never dream of paying developer prices. :)

Anyone own both systems? Is there one you prefer over the other?

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
I can't speak for Wyndham, but I own 2, soon to be 3 deeded Sedona Summit weeks all resale too. We absolutely love Sedona too. I would recommend a deeded week if you plan on adding DRI as their points system has exorbitant maintence fees. For example, each of my deeded 2 BR Sedona Summit has MFs of $998. I would need 10,000 DRI points and pay over $2000 in MFs per week if it were in points.

I have also joined DRI's still somewhat new in-house exchange program called Destination Exchange (DEx). We have found that to be a good value for us. We have exchanged into Cabo Azul x3, Lake Tahoe, and Point at Poipu x3 in the past year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I like both, but I like Wyndham more. Wyndham points you flexibility of fewer than one week travels. I’ve enjoyed dextras stays with Diamond in which I’ve been able to book less than one week at pro rata MF.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
WorldMark might be a good system to look into. Lots of resorts in the west.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I can't speak for Wyndham, but I own 2, soon to be 3 deeded Sedona Summit weeks all resale too. We absolutely love Sedona too. I would recommend a deeded week if you plan on adding DRI as their points system has exorbitant maintence fees. For example, each of my deeded 2 BR Sedona Summit has MFs of $998. I would need 10,000 DRI points and pay over $2000 in MFs per week if it were in points.

I have also joined DRI's still somewhat new in-house exchange program called Destination Exchange (DEx). We have found that to be a good value for us. We have exchanged into Cabo Azul x3, Lake Tahoe, and Point at Poipu x3 in the past year.

If you own two weeks, how did you exchange to get 7 weeks?

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you own two weeks, how did you exchange to get 7 weeks?

Hello Carlito, the first thing I should do is to clarify is that when I said the past year I do mean the past 12 months. So, that is really using two years' worth of my deeded weeks. Then, what I did was "split" each of my 2 BR Lockout weeks into the studio and 1 bedroom and had them deposited into Destination Exchange which is DRI's internal exchange program for owners of properties it owns and manages. So, that lets me get two exchanges per property per year, so the math is 2 x 2 x 2 = 8. I did pay unit upgrade fees on some of these bookings in order to book 2 BR units at location.

I did not use all of these exchanges myself, I usually travel with family and book two rooms. Unfortunately, the Cabo trip was canceled this year due to COVID. Our next trip on that series is back to Point at Poipu in March 2021.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Hello Carlito, the first thing I should do is to clarify is that when I said the past year I do mean the past 12 months. So, that is really using two years' worth of my deeded weeks. Then, what I did was "split" each of my 2 BR Lockout weeks into the studio and 1 bedroom and had them deposited into Destination Exchange which is DRI's internal exchange program for owners of properties it owns and manages. So, that lets me get two exchanges per property per year, so the math is 2 x 2 x 2 = 8. I did pay unit upgrade fees on some of these bookings in order to book 2 BR units at location.

I did not use all of these exchanges myself, I usually travel with family and book two rooms. Unfortunately, the Cabo trip was canceled this year due to COVID. Our next trip on that series is back to Point at Poipu in March 2021.

Well, this makes more sense to me. You can get lots of mileage using lockoff units. With your maintenance fee savings, you get a great deal for your unit.

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I certainly feel like I am getting a lot from my low MF fee deeded weeks. I can spend more for unit size upgrades when I see an exchange I like or go to Sedona which we always love and is in driving distance.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Diamond has a lot more restrictions for resale points.
So is your question about comparing $0-$1000 in resale with the two companies or are you looking at a deeded non points week from Diamond?

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
So is your question about comparing purchasing $50,000+ in points from Diamond vs purchasing $50,000+ in points from Wyndham or
are you looking at $0-$1000 in resale with the two companies or are you looking at a deeded non points week from Diamond?

Oh, definitely resale. I've never paid more than ~$1500 for a timeshare deed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This was done a few years ago by a group effort.

It might need to be revisited given the M and V merger, but it is still relatively accurate, although average MF will have rose a small bit.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems the Diamond FAQ link is not working. @TUGBrian can someone look at it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big difference IMHO are the higher MF charged by Diamond and the quality of furniture that Diamond purchase for their resorts.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ah, there is a typo in that link...ill try to fix it

here is the correct link to the dri faq

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
So is your question about comparing $0-$1000 in resale with the two companies or are you looking at a deeded non points week from Diamond?
Oh, definitely resale. I've never paid more than ~$1500 for a timeshare deed.
I'll echo tschwa2's point: Diamond resorts are not in "the Club" when they are resold. Instead, the ownership rights revert to the underlying resort/collection of resorts. I believe resale ownerships can be brought back into "the Club" but you must also buy new points from the developer to do so.

So, there isn't really any way to buy "Diamond" resale; instead you'd be buying one of the resorts or, in some cases, into a collection of resorts.

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree that DRI points are essentially worthless on resale. However, that is not the case for deeded weeks. You can get them essentially for free, use it for just MFs at the place you own, trade on II, or pay to join Destination Exchange and exchange in DRI properties or manages resorts.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The chart does indicate higher MFs and the fact that resale has a major impact on benefits.

If you looking resale, then WorldMark, Wyndham or Hilton has minor changes if purchasing resale.

Depends on where you want to go and where you live.