• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts - Very bad company - BEWARE what is coming!

DRIless

Reaction score
My maintenace fee in three years went from $900 to $1472

IF ANYONE WANTS A FIXED Beachwoods week 30 2/2 or a week 34 lockout 2/2 your welcome to it. Know the fees will go up forever.
If you are upset also and want to be included in the owners strike... Starting in Las Vegas and going nationwide... Let me know!

Covid is making people unravel and here I am.

So you have TWO 2BR RED weeks, one excellent Wk30 Summer and one very good Wk34 late summer week with MFs of $1472 total? Sounds good to me. I'd take them from you but I'm one of those that have been working the systems for years and that is too expensive for me but a very good deal. Beachwoods used to be a Barrier Island Station resort if I remember and I'm sure it needed improvements when DRI took it over from Gold Key? I went there twice last summer and live only a couple hours away. It was great, five night stay Sun-Thur using points of half of a week. Too bad it's not one of DRI's properties that discount at 60 and 30 days ahead. I'm not sure how you would organize, I've fought them before and lost, they are too big with too many experienced lawyers to go it alone. Good luck.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DRILess, what are your feeling on the DRI new DEX Exchange problem?. Is it easy to use. My brother have 18,000 Club Points and liked to exchange with II. What is your gut feeling on this new exchange program?

DRIless

Reaction score
DRILess, what are your feeling on the DRI new DEX Exchange problem?. Is it easy to use. My brother have 18,000 Club Points and liked to exchange with II. What is your gut feeling on this new exchange program?
My personal feelings are that DEX sucks. Way over priced in point values. Way too complicated with Tiers. It's DRI trying to keep everyone "in house." I've paid for continued Interval International membership and it appears that I can still use my DRI points as before.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I must add, that Cabo Azul is undoubtedly the nicest or the DR in the Americas, but Mexico does it up and when you stay at the Grand Luxxe in Mexico, even Cabo Azul starts to look like a 2 star resort.
When you stay at Grand Luxxe, many resorts look like a 2-star resort :)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you stay at Grand Luxxe, many resorts look like a 2-star resort :)
Oh well, DW refuses to go to Mexico, guess we will never experience Grand Luxxe

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
Yes. the Resorts Diamond have, are all in pretty good shape. They usually go in, purchase a used, not so successful resort and start the upgrades. The above is true, they usually pick "locations" that are in "desirable locations". That being said, property taxes, payroll and payroll taxes, along with upgrade costs......I understand the costs, but at one point, I believe Diamond was too aggressive in acquiring new properties, therefore constant increases in maintenance fees. It was then I also started to look at "where" the properties were being purchased, and in some areas I think they over-saturated areas, and should have considered a new location. We were always going back to the same location and did enjoy it, but after about 20years, wanting to experience something different and off the main tracks we found Diamond did not deliver for us. With the virus here now and not being as mobile, driving from upper/lower Michigan.....we decided to go thru transitions / Platinum level......and glad we did. Since June when this was final, they now have a higher level.....with less benefits, or the benefits Platinum had earlier. Cannot figure it out......

applepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts US Collection
I bought a 3 bedroom lockoff at Beachwoods. My MF's went from $1200 to over $1400 over the last 2 years. I was told by the sales guy that Diamond has been subsidizing the MF's and that the costs are set to go up to over $2,000 -- probably closer to $2,400 by the end of 10 years. There are people out there interested in your resort and the units. It is a nice place to vacation. I couldn't rent a place as cheap as my MF's, and it allows me to visit local family and take friends and family with me.

Offering it on the resale market might be your best option -- especially if you keep the cost low -- like $500 or so. If you are really that dissatisfied, offer it for free and offer to pay the transition costs and escrow fees to get it off of your plate. I think those fees are about $1,000 or less -- similar to transitions.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3 bedroom lockoff at Beachwoods. My MF's went from $1200 to over $1400 over the last 2 years. I was told by the sales guy that Diamond has been subsidizing the MF's and that the costs are set to go up to over $2,000 -- probably closer to $2,400 by the end of 10 years. ....
I doubt Diamond is subsidizing the MF's. Now, if they own certain amount of units, they do pay the MF's for those, but I did not consist that "subsidizing" the MF's

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
My maintenace fee in three years went from $900 to $1472 so this means if you are an owner------ YOU ARE TRAPPED for endless maintenace fee increases. Whatever your bill is now... Imagine it to double in the next four years. I sent the CEO owner Michael Flaskey a nasty letter of what I plan to do the company. We will see where it goes. I will update this soon. Basically if enough of us owners can organize regionally we can get out of the deeds. Their plan is to trap us and if we do not pay--- ruin our credit and force us to run up credit cards paying the bills. Do people just eventually declare bankruptcy or refinance their personal home to prop up their elaborate hoax of a lifestyle they were promising???

Basically if you study what Battery Wharf employees in Boston did to their hotel by declaring a strike- it means if we owners do the same thing they will have to let us out of these bills! Battery Wharf lost millions of dollars and I was there as a random guest. It was only four people walking around making noise. I consider this a war with Diamond Resorts and plan to take a megaphone, loud speaker, and sirens and start declaring them white collar predators which they are. These people sold a $250,000 timeshare to 88 year olds. Then when sued they only gave half the money back. They suck in innocent people in their 20s that do not understand Real Estate and contracts. If you type in all the complaints online it is the same thing over and over again- worthless point programs, increased fees, grandparents everywhere being fleeced.

Us customers should not have to sue them or use some shifty outfit charging $2200-3000 to give the deeds back. I was planning on keeping mine forever but they are too mismanaged. My plan is to get loud and anyone walking into a sales presentation will be WARNED with banners, and other stuff. Then I plan to go to Virginia Beach and put up big black letters on the sand DIAMOND RESORTS hotel SCAM.

I also am considering crashing the golf tournament that the owners love to brag about all over their website by flying a big banner on the back of an airplane with the banner saying: DIAMOND RESORTS white collar Predators This will embarrass their big PR stunt. This company is ripping off famlies and everyone just takes it. Do not underestimate what four or five loud people can do. How much do you think a sales office brings in on a busy Saturday of tours? I will be so loud anyone showing up for a tour will not sign. They will start losing at least $200,000 a weekend? Seems like it would be busiest between 9am-1pm? If you want to add your thoughts let me know. I already ordered my bullhorn on Amazon it should be here in a few days.

IF ANYONE WANTS A FIXED Beachwoods week 30 2/2 or a week 34 lockout 2/2 your welcome to it. Know the fees will go up forever.
If you are upset also and want to be included in the owners strike... Starting in Las Vegas and going nationwide... Let me know!

If you maint fees jumped 50% in 3 year you must be a legacy week owner versus a point owner.

As for sending a nastygram to the CEO with what you plan to do to the company......I find that quite comical.

To note: utilizing a megaphone, loud speaker, or siren would probably violate the law in most places (noise ordiances). Also, you would not be allowed to protest on a Diamond property and I doubt anyone would listen to you standing by the road. Most of what you state you plan to do will most likely land you in jail (crashing golf tournaments and such) but it's your life to live.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Doesn't Diamond have a deedback program? There is a sleazy fee. But it won't hit your credit and is better than paying A LOT more money to some scam timeshare exit outfit that will try to go through the same deed back program on your behalf. Of course, your DRI ownership must be paid in full.

Yes, Transitions. To note though, the property to be transitioned must have been developer purchased. If it is a resale it is not eligible for Transitions.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score

The point cost for resorts when it first came out were ridiculous and I vowed I'd never use it. Now, they seem to readjusting the point cost at some locations so MAYBE it will become useful.....if it isn't shut down during the merger.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
My personal feelings are that DEX sucks. Way over priced in point values. Way too complicated with Tiers. It's DRI trying to keep everyone "in house." I've paid for continued Interval International membership and it appears that I can still use my DRI points as before.

You only have to worry about the tiers if you are trying to save points into DEX. If you just look for a unit and book it, you don't need to worry about the tiers.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Yes. the Resorts Diamond have, are all in pretty good shape. They usually go in, purchase a used, not so successful resort and start the upgrades. The above is true, they usually pick "locations" that are in "desirable locations". That being said, property taxes, payroll and payroll taxes, along with upgrade costs......I understand the costs, but at one point, I believe Diamond was too aggressive in acquiring new properties, therefore constant increases in maintenance fees. It was then I also started to look at "where" the properties were being purchased, and in some areas I think they over-saturated areas, and should have considered a new location. We were always going back to the same location and did enjoy it, but after about 20years, wanting to experience something different and off the main tracks we found Diamond did not deliver for us. With the virus here now and not being as mobile, driving from upper/lower Michigan.....we decided to go thru transitions / Platinum level......and glad we did. Since June when this was final, they now have a higher level.....with less benefits, or the benefits Platinum had earlier. Cannot figure it out......

Maint fee increases over the last 4 years has not bee bad. 0.81%, 0.84%, 2.4% and 2.9%. Where maint fee increases have been dramatic have been for legacy week owners who have not converted to points.

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you have TWO 2BR RED weeks, one excellent Wk30 Summer and one very good Wk34 late summer week with MFs of $1472 total? Sounds good to me. I'd take them from you but I'm one of those that have been working the systems for years and that is too expensive for me but a very good deal. Beachwoods used to be a Barrier Island Station resort if I remember and I'm sure it needed improvements when DRI took it over from Gold Key? I went there twice last summer and live only a couple hours away. It was great, five night stay Sun-Thur using points of half of a week. Too bad it's not one of DRI's properties that discount at 60 and 30 days ahead. I'm not sure how you would organize, I've fought them before and lost, they are too big with too many experienced lawyers to go it alone. Good luck.

f5a2bb52ccc26aaccef627834431db16.jpg

It was actually Gold Key that did all of the renovations. There was a large special assessment ($1800-2400, but can’t remember) and GK dumped another $20million into the common areas. The first year GK owned the property it went to $710. The next year with Diamond it was $770 and has only gone up from there. The current budget is set at $7.8m, with $6.1m coming from maintenance fees. Over $1m of that is for “administration” (management fee) and “indirect corporate cost” (another management fee to line the pockets of DRI.) They’ve also added a snack bar at the pool that isn’t self sustaining so that’s another $100k. It’s all just gotten out of hand.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
My maintenace fee in three years went from $900 to $1472 so this means if you are an owner------ YOU ARE TRAPPED for endless maintenace fee increases. Whatever your bill is now... Imagine it to double in the next four years. I sent the CEO owner Michael Flaskey a nasty letter of what I plan to do the company. We will see where it goes. I will update this soon. Basically if enough of us owners can organize regionally we can get out of the deeds. Their plan is to trap us and if we do not pay--- ruin our credit and force us to run up credit cards paying the bills. Do people just eventually declare bankruptcy or refinance their personal home to prop up their elaborate hoax of a lifestyle they were promising???

Basically if you study what Battery Wharf employees in Boston did to their hotel by declaring a strike- it means if we owners do the same thing they will have to let us out of these bills! Battery Wharf lost millions of dollars and I was there as a random guest. It was only four people walking around making noise. I consider this a war with Diamond Resorts and plan to take a megaphone, loud speaker, and sirens and start declaring them white collar predators which they are. These people sold a $250,000 timeshare to 88 year olds. Then when sued they only gave half the money back. They suck in innocent people in their 20s that do not understand Real Estate and contracts. If you type in all the complaints online it is the same thing over and over again- worthless point programs, increased fees, grandparents everywhere being fleeced.

Us customers should not have to sue them or use some shifty outfit charging $2200-3000 to give the deeds back. I was planning on keeping mine forever but they are too mismanaged. My plan is to get loud and anyone walking into a sales presentation will be WARNED with banners, and other stuff. Then I plan to go to Virginia Beach and put up big black letters on the sand DIAMOND RESORTS hotel SCAM.

I also am considering crashing the golf tournament that the owners love to brag about all over their website by flying a big banner on the back of an airplane with the banner saying: DIAMOND RESORTS white collar Predators This will embarrass their big PR stunt. This company is ripping off famlies and everyone just takes it. Do not underestimate what four or five loud people can do. How much do you think a sales office brings in on a busy Saturday of tours? I will be so loud anyone showing up for a tour will not sign. They will start losing at least $200,000 a weekend? Seems like it would be busiest between 9am-1pm? If you want to add your thoughts let me know. I already ordered my bullhorn on Amazon it should be here in a few days.

I loved my 3 BR LO at Mystic Dunes until Diamond acquired it. Yes they do nice renovations and build a nice resort, but the culture is toxic. They never failed to ruin a great stay. We sold.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I loved my 3 BR LO at Mystic Dunes until Diamond acquired it. Yes they do nice renovations and build a nice resort, but the culture is toxic. They never failed to ruin a great stay. We sold.

Do you mean the sales culture? I've never had any issues with the resort staff at MD, only sales staff.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you mean the sales culture? I've never had any issues with the resort staff at MD, only sales staff.
Yes. They were on an entirely different level of rude and insulting. Although the front desk is also pretty bad. I stayed at a location on a business trip, purchased on priceline and they tried to add in all these extra fees that were part of the purchase.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Yes. They were on an entirely different level of rude and insulting. Although the front desk is also pretty bad. I stayed at a location on a business trip, purchased on priceline and they tried to add in all these extra fees that were part of the purchase.

I have only stayed on my Diamond points so I've never had to deal with resort fees. Yes, MD is known for having a "rough" sales center. Once someone learns to play the game it can be kind of fun though. ;)

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have only stayed on my Diamond points so I've never had to deal with resort fees. Yes, MD is known for having a "rough" sales center. Once someone learns to play the game it can be kind of fun though. ;)
I hear you, but not my idea of a vacation.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I hear you, but not my idea of a vacation.

I actually do a lot of my updates with Diamond after I have already checked out. Since I still work and live close to many Diamond resorts, I do a lot of 2 night weekends and as part of accepting an update, I request a late check out on Sun (1200) and then go to the update (usually 1300). So quite often, I'm not using a minute of vacation time and walk out with at least $200. Even if I do one during a vacation, I'm usually out in 45-60 min and have had a good time chatting with the sales person because they second they look at my folder, they know it's a lost cause selling me something. A few try to give me a hard time or BS me with some supposed new benefit but I can shut that down right quick. I do enough updates in a normal (non-Covid) year that Diamond covers about 25% of my annual $9k+ maint fees. ;)