• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts Newsletter - sent by Hilton

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well that's confusing!

Sort of. Once they roll these in, it will be no more (or less) confusing than it is now, i.e. it will be much the dame. If they did not do this, then there would be even more types and even more confusion. So, I'd argue that rolling these in to existing names actually makes it less confusing than it would be if they didn't do that.

Cheers.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What we have previously heard is that a few DRI and all former CI/Embarc will be rebranded HGVC. To me, if they become part of HGVC, then current HGVC members shouldn't have to purchase this new HGV Max program to have access to these resorts. Also, what will be the booking windows (6 months)? It will be interesting to see what is rolled out in April. This is another reason that I wouldn't purchase HGV Max program yet.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
What we have previously heard is that a few DRI and all former CI/Embarc will be rebranded HGVC. To me, if they become part of HGVC, then current HGVC members shouldn't have to purchase this new HGV Max program to have access to these resorts. Also, what will be the booking windows (6 months)? It will be interesting to see what is rolled out in April. This is another reason that I wouldn't purchase HGV Max program yet.

This seems completely rational to me. When I sat through a sales presentation in January I asked about that and the fellow just kind of blithered without a good explanation of why I would need to get HGV Max to book HGVC. I'm definitely waiting, too.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
When I sat through a sales presentation in January I asked about that and the fellow just kind of blithered without a good explanation of why I would need to get HGV Max to book HGVC.
I didn't think to ask during my owner's update. I really don't think that the salesperson would have known either. I think that I know more (thanks to all of my TUG friends) than the salesperson about the subject. The salesperson was actually asking me what I knew about the program.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So have they only announced the 5 resorts being converted to HVC or have there been more in addition to Bent Creek, Scottsdale Villa, Ocean Beach Club, Mystic Dunes, and Flamingo Beach? I guess they deem those resorts Hilton quality?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
What is CI, the owners group for Embarc?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
What is CI, the owners group for Embarc?
Previously known as Club Intrawest before being brought into DRI as Embarc. HGVC and CI had an exchange agreement during that time.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Yeah, I’m not that excited on HGV Max. Maybe a couple of DRI resorts I would like to visit, but few I would want to visit on a regular basis. What‘s the point of purchase if there’s little I would use? CI/Embarc? There‘s more to be excited about with that group.

I agree with the statement on CI/Embarc and a few select properties becoming HGVC that we shouldn’t have to pay any more than we do now.

mitzi

Reaction score
So have they only announced the 5 resorts being converted to HVC or have there been more in addition to Bent Creek, Scottsdale Villa, Ocean Beach Club, Mystic Dunes, and Flamingo Beach? I guess they deem those resorts Hilton quality?

I just did a search on Hilton site - all of U.S., filtered by Hilton Grand Vacation Club. Those five (no others) are listed as "coming soon". All Hilton Vacation Club.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Interesting, I tried to search the same as you with United States and HGVC as my filters.

These are the 5 resorts showing up as HVC for me.

1. Hilton Vacation Club Sedona Summit
2. Hilton Vacation Club Scottsdale Villa Mirage
3. Hilton Vacation Club The Historic Powhatan Williamsburg
4. Hilton Vacation Club Mystic Dunes Orlando
5. Hilton Vacation Club Oceanaire Virginia Beach

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting, I tried to search the same as you with United States and HGVC as my filters.

I got these resorts as well.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Vacation Club is what Hilton renamed DRI.

Reactions: cd5

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Hilton Vacation Club is what Hilton renamed DRI.
I’m not sure about that. More likely it’s the locations that are up to Hilton standards. They won’t reflag something like the Bell Rock Inn with the Hilton name unless it gets major updates.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I interpret that as meaning "HVC" will be bookable by Hilton hotel customers...
That doesn't mean they will be bookable thru HGVC w/o the Max feature.
We shall see.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m not sure about that. More likely it’s the locations that are up to Hilton standards. They won’t reflag something like the Bell Rock Inn with the Hilton name unless it gets major updates.

That’s the plan. If I remember correctly, they will upgrade the resorts over the next 5 years, with about 20 being done this year (not sure if this included the Embarc properties).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hmm...perhaps renting DRI via the HIlton website (using Hilton points or cash) could be a more cost effective and flexible alternative if they charge more than a nominal fee to join HGV Max. Certainly avoids the annual MF requirement for properties we wish to visit only once.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

The Historic Powhatan Williamsburg are either one bedroom or two (2) levels timeshare units; excellent grounds maintenance, a security guard post, serval outdoor swimming pools and a historic plantation building onsite.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm...perhaps renting DRI via the HIlton website (using Hilton points or cash) could be a more cost effective and flexible alternative if they charge more than a nominal fee to join HGV Max. Certainly avoids the annual MF requirement for properties we wish to visit only once.

Also a thought. I'm thinking that we would likely visit Kauai and Maui enough to possibly buy a resale at DRI "Hawai'i Collection." We shall see.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also a thought. I'm thinking that we would likely visit Kauai and Maui enough to possibly buy a resale at DRI "Hawai'i Collection." We shall see.

Cheers.

Or maybe purchase a resale week and avoid the higher MF's and program fees?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or maybe purchase a resale week and avoid the higher MF's and program fees?

I was suggesting resale. Or is a "resale week" something different than a regular resale purchase for DRI in terms of MFs and fees?

I only know HGVC and DVC in detail and there one purchases a "week" resale but it's really points and there is no distinction in terms of MFs and fees.

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was suggesting resale. Or is a "resale week" something different than a regular resale purchase for DRI in terms of MFs and fees?

I only know HGVC and DVC in detail and there one purchases a "week" resale but it's really points and there is no distinction in terms of MFs and fees.

Cheers.

There are legacy weeks that are on the resale market for many of the resorts, especially the more popular place (like Kauai and Maui). They aren't in "The Club" and can't trade points, but if you like one of the two resorts, they might be a better fit. DRI has very high MF's and program fees. @dougp26364 has mentioned the fees as the reason he left the DRI system. While you still get the higher MF's, you don't pay the large program and system fees club members do. It's like an affiliate resort at HGVC where you use the week like a traditional timeshare (it might be a floating week, though) but don't pay the club dues. At least that's how I think it works.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are legacy weeks that are on the resale market for many of the resorts, especially the more popular place (like Kauai and Maui). They aren't in "The Club" and can't trade points, but if you like one of the two resorts, they might be a better fit. DRI has very high MF's and program fees. @dougp26364 has mentioned the fees as the reason he left the DRI system. While you still get the higher MF's, you don't pay the large program and system fees club members do. It's like an affiliate resort at HGVC where you use the week like a traditional timeshare (it might be a floating week, though) but don't pay the club dues. At least that's how I think it works.

Got it. Thanks. Yeah, will definitely need to look into that. We'd be very happy to be locked into Maui/Kauai with this purchase. Both have appeal, though, so choosing one may be hard. Also, I expect fee structures to change once things are integrated. And I still think it could work out better than MAX. But not rushing to buy just yet, no matter what the salesweasels say.

Cheers.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
is a "resale week" something different than a regular resale purchase for DR
If I understand correctly, DRI "Collections" are based on trust points. Before there were collections, there were deeded weeks. Some owners of weeks converted to the points based collections but not all, and the weeks can be bought and sold resale. We were in Kauai for 2 weeks recently, and had a serious look around at various resorts. After we got home, we ultimately bought a deeded week at Point at Poipu. We likeed it enough to see ourselves going there regularly, and I have a feeling that HVC ownership will be a good thing for the resort.

ETA: I believe there is an exchange system set up within the DRI structure that allows deeded week owners to exchange with each other. And of course there's always II or RCI.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
We are DRI legacy week owners at the soon to be renamed HVC Sedona Summit. Legacy week owners can currently exchange into DRI owned/managed/affiliated resorts through an internal exchange system (Destination eXchange). We are able to see HGVC properties available for exchange; we also see plenty of availability at 2 of the resorts likely be renamed HGVC (Point at Poipu and Kaanapali Beach Club).
According to the CSR I talked with last week, this access won't change when the systems are integrated. I realize no one really knows, but we'd be very happy with that especially since we purchased SS to exchange into those 2 properties. As long as there are deeded units at those properties, I would expect some availability.
My gut tells me we'll still see HGVC availability after the integration; if for no other reason than HGVC getting DRI owners to experience and/or buy into HGVC. Clearly we'll wait until the new system is rolled out, but, even then, I don't see us purchasing into HGV Max (though you never know).
I'm not a points owner so I can't comment on that outside of saying points owners also see HGVC availability in DeX.

Last edited:

Hubble

Reaction score
I "transitioned" out of DRI (Beach Quarters, VA Beach) in 2020, after 5 years. We had a poor (low TDi) week, and although I managed decent exchanges (Interval) including one "big fish" towards the end (Hyatt, Sedona), there always seemed to be a cloud of uncertainty, largely due to high pressured owners updates to switch to points at a high price. Just out of curiosity now, can Diamond owners still use Interval? I have a sense that things would have been difficult for us going forward, but maybe we could have made it work for another year or two.