• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] Diamond Resorts Intro Package - Recission Question - 5k pts/yr for 10 years

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
Hi TUG!
I'm so lost and so confused, first and foremost.

Here is what we signed up for and associated cost:
- Diamond US Collection
- 5,000 pts per year each year for 10 years
- COST: $9,026 at 16.99% (**I'd pay it off within a year though)
- Maintenance Fees: Presented as $660/yr first two years, goes up to $900/yr after
- Access to Interval International
- Silver upgrades first 2 years

Gifts: 1 Tablet, 1 Vegas New Owner trip, 1 Hawaii Dream Vacation, $100 dinner gift card, and the two gifts simply for attending (two SW plane tickets and a 3-day/2-night stay in one of 18 spots)

So here are my points of confusion after reading the paperwork more at home and researching online, and I need help!!

1) Diamond US Collection - So are we limited to only Diamond US properties? I read that these may not even include California and Hawaii? (We live in AZ and Cali would be our #1 most used destination!)

2) I read that we can't use these points in Europe? ......... ???

3) Maintenance Fees - I had understood the rate is locked in. However, everything I'm reading says this is not so and by far the biggest complaint people have. Sooo it's NOT locked in?

4) What are the points really worth? - The sales person showed us a list of great rooms available for minimal points for 3 nights (200-400 points for 3 nights) in say Payson, AZ, which was just a nearby example we had discussed. However, now I'm reading that 5000 points really may not go far at all. My notion of 10 3-day weekend stays across the US is falling apart. (We usually pay $150 a night for hotel when we travel in the US and the Diamond properties would suit our level of comfortplus we actually prefer to go places off-peak times. 10 3-day stays cash-out would come out to $4500. Our Diamond rate with MFs comes out to about $2400/yr, buuuut I'm getting the distinct impression that we will simply NOT regularly actually find those 400 point 3-day stays to be able to maximize our benefits the way I expected..... That makes this a little less attractive, of course.

5) As an Intro Package, are there limitations I dont know about?

We loooove to travel and as my username suggests, I also loooove a bargain... Ultimately, I felt that $9000 over 10 years was actually not awful if it means we get to travel more and $55-75 a month in MFs is feasible... But hearing that MFs could and most likely WILL skyrocket AND that maybe we cannot go to Europe using the points both boil down to dealbreakers.

So even at the cost/rate we got which I feel is lower than many pay, is it time to walk away while we still can?

Thanks, TUG family, in advance.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Rescind!

People practically give away DRI points. Read more about the company, there have been lawsuits against them by the AZ Attorney General.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ollowing-deceptive-sales-practices/329107001/

Don’t forget to include the annual maint fees in your 10 year calculation! Its more than the upfront costs.

DRI have nice resorts in Sedona, I’ve stayed at several, not many in CA as you found out.

You might want to look at Grand Pacific if you want CA beach resorts. There was a listing for a rental here on TUG, Last Minute Rental forum. Rent before owning.

Learn how to use TUG and read all you can before purchasing RESALE, heck you might be able to find one free that will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, full disclosure. I am not a Diamond member/owner. I can't answer your pose line by line, but do think that sales weasels lie, and that what you heard is not necessarily what is contained in your contract (which is the ONLY thing that counts). I think you will be disappointed by the lack of access to resorts you think you should have Like California and Hawaii and Europe. I think you'll find those 3-day weekends are scarce as hen's teeth. I think that your budgeting $55-$75 a month for travel is short of the reality in this scenario.

Read your contract. It will spell out exactly what you are entitled to, and nothing more. Forget the sales weasel's words, they mean nothing, andn Diamond is NOT bound by them.

I know that the freebies are attractive, but figure what they are actually worth.

In the end, I would rescind while you can. Study this and other offers. It will always be available if you decide it is still a deal.

Best Wishes! Welcome to TUG!

Jim

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Welcome to TUG and to The TUGGERS Family.:wave:

Suggestion Only....
Please look at DRI Week points chart to see what you can make a reservation for a prime week , and an off season week for a one (1) or a two (2) bedrooms villa?????
Look at their points chart and then you can make your final decision . :bawl:

The TUG Force is with you.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score

Welcome to TUG and to The TUGGERS Family.:wave:

Suggestion Only....
Please look at DRI Week points chart to see what you can make a reservation for a prime week , and off season week for a one (1) or a two (2) bedrooms villa?????
Look at their points chart and then you can make your final decision . :bawl:

The TUG Force is with you.
Yes, the TUG Force is with you and rescind while you can. You only have one chance for a couple of days.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
Thank you @pedro47 ! I have searched high and low and can't find a good points chart. Of course, right?

@taffy19 That's where I'm leaning. It sounds like I could make a total of about $18-20k go a lot farther over 10 years through resale opportunities and with a lot more flexibility and options!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
Thank you so much for all of the info @Passepartout and @SmithOp !!

I will send my rescission letter certified tomorrow. Seems like the best thing to come of the situation is finding TUG!

So... how do I return the Tablet and marketing collateral I now have no need for? Any suggestions?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP. Suggestion Only...Please look at TUG Marketplace for a good resell TS resort.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
@pedro47 Thank you!! I checked out thr Marketplace and there are some great options in there! :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Add the line, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover on request." Then if asked ship by cheapest means.

Jim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
@Passepartout Thank you! I just don't want a bill for a tablet and some gift cards to end up coming my way!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
But hearing that MFs could and most likely WILL skyrocket AND that maybe we cannot go to Europe using the points both boil down to dealbreakers.

First of all, I will say that I also am glad that you found TUG in time to rescind. Secondly, I will echo what the other say that you should rescind, although that seems a little redundant now that you have stated your intention to do so. And, as well, perhaps try renting from current owners to see if TSs are right for you.

The one thing that I will add is that we caution lot of Newcomers about the excitement they get when they hear "Europe" in the sales pitch. Remember that there are very few TSs in major European cities. Most of the European TSs are in the countryside. So if your intention was to get into a program or make a purchase that would allow you to vacation in TSs (as opposed to motels/hotels) in major European cities, then you would likely be disappointed if/when you tried finding one available.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
@LannyPC Yeahhh, just another something that they conveniently cover for by showing you pictures of lovely castles you can stay in while skirting the fact that major European cities lack in options. Thank you for mentioning this because for as long as we sat there talking with a very lovely and fun and nice lady who actually didn't "high-pressure sales pitch" us unlike many TS agents do, it still feels like enough was not mentioned -- and maybe intentionally so -- for me to be skeptical of the true value, even at the lower cost than it seems many have paid (which I recognize is essentially the "We've got them now!" package!).

I will most definitely rent TSs of owners to check them out, that seems most economically sound. :)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are DRI Members. You can not get much for a week with 5,000 Points. Maybe off season or with Point Saver - less than 60 days before checkin. Buying into US Collection gives you a 13 month Booking Window into US Collection Resorts. This is DRI's largest Collection. Your Booking Window for all other DRI Collections is 10 months.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
@geist1223 Goodness gracious, yeah, we were shown a nice list of 200 and 400 point bookings for 3 nights and then another place with 1000 points for 3 nights, but I'm just guessing those are really mostly Last Minute Deals and availability would be scarce in many locations. We wouldn't want to pay $2400 a year to end up only being able to use it one week.... I'd feel just awful!!! I went to Germany for 2 weeks on less and another time to Ireland for 4 days/3 nights including airfare for $699.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The gifts questions caught my attention because in my neck o' the woods, some TS sellers have contended use of the gifts constitutes use of the TS, cancelling the cancellation right.

Not all TS sellers, just the crooked ones, I guess.

:cool:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
The gifts questions caught my attention because in my neck o' the woods, some TS sellers have contended use of the gifts constitutes use of the TS, cancelling the cancellation right.

Not all TS sellers, just the crooked ones, I guess.

:cool:

WOW!! Yeah, that's crazy. As long as I return everything they gave me as a result of my purchase specifically, I presume I will be in the clear. I will likely send a single Signature/Delivery Confirmation package with everything in it instead of waiting for them to ask for it back and send the cancellation request in its own envelope certified with receipt request. I feel strongly that there is a risk that they could try this tactic and hold my deposit w/o refund if they do not get all of their "Contingent on purchase" gifts back, and the gift cards and tablet were not worth the value of my deposit!! Yikes.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Another variation involves promotional discounted accommodations for attending presentations, when some have reported being billed inflated rates when they cancel contracts.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
Another variation involves promotional discounted accommodations for attending presentations, when some have reported being billed inflated rates when they cancel contracts.

Geez!! That's ... gross. The pamphlets to book the two Southwest tickets and then the 3-day/2-night stay each have a $50 deposit and clearly indicate we cover taxes & fees, which I'd be ok with as long as it stays at the indicated range on the pamphlet.

Hopefully we didn't go for nothing, but I guess if we did, that will be a lesson learned. :p

Ultimately still glad to have found TUG. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you found us!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond US Collection
Sent off my Rescission care package today with a Notarized letter with request to cancel following a Sample Letter format another TUG user provided in a different thread, copies of the receipts they need to refund me for, and it went Certified with Return Receipt. :whooopie:

Postmarked today, and it will arrive Thursday. :cheer:

Thanks again to everyone for the great help!!

Attachments

• 190722_163715.png
    190722_163715.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 61

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sent off my Rescission care package today with a Notarized letter with request to cancel following a Sample Letter format another TUG user provided in a different thread, copies of the receipts they need to refund me for, and it went Certified with Return Receipt. :whooopie:

You are right on top of things and it looks like everything was done perfectly! You should receive a refund within 45 days.

A good move to rescind. Don't forget to check out the TUG bargains should you want to purchase resale.

cbecton9

Reaction score

I also purchased the Diamond Intro package this weekend because all the traveling my family does to Orlando for youth sports thinking that this purchase would help offset some costs because of the multiple Diamond resorts in that area. However, after some soul searching and web browsing I can not find a lot of good things about DRI. Plus I do not feel that my point purchased will offset as much as I anticipated for that reason I am looking to cancel because I am still in that very small window. I wanted to see if someone had a rescission letter template they could share like Bargin mentioned above. Also Bargin any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. I too have a tablet I will also need to return.

Thank You

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The instructions and address are in your contract. Follow them You don't need a template, just a simple 'I wish to cancel contract #_________ Dated_______" and all signers must sign the letter. Send their tablet with it and keep the postal receipt.
Celebrate.

Jim