• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts International took care of this problem after seeing this post!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
They are calling from a local phone #, which is a new ruse for telephone solicitors. I actually call the number from caller ID and get the DRI message saying all operators are busy. I was going to call and tell them I was on the Do Not Call list. But we stayed at Grand Beach last October, so I assume that means they have a "relationship" with us.

Is that true? Does staying at these resorts and not attending their presentations at the time literally obligate us to lifelong calls with no one on the other end, or if they answer, we have to listen to their offer of a "special deal" to come back to Orlando, if we will agree to a tour?

I am annoyed by these calls, which actually disturbed my husband's nap after a fire kept him up all night the night before. Rick is a light sleeper, so I guess I should just turn off all of the phones for his sleeping (that would be nine handsets with both the home and business phone #'s).

Anyway, they called twice in that hour, then no one there either time. By the time I get a live person, I will be angry and rude, and will it stop the calls? NO!

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would report this nusiance to the main office in Vegas.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Diamond called Rick today on his cell phone, while he was on duty at the firehouse. The woman said she saw my post and apologized for the intrusion. She put us on their No Call list.

I am so impressed, but a little weirded out (okay, I know that's not a real phrase) that she knew who we were to call Rick on his cell phone today. :eek:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am so impressed, but a little weirded out (okay, I know that's not a real phrase) that she knew who we were to call Rick on his cell phone today.

I'm not surprised. The idea that any of us has any privacy or annonimity is a quaint old-fashioned myth. These days, any contact we have with the outside world is public fodder available for anyone who bothers to look.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Diamond called Rick today on his cell phone, while he was on duty at the firehouse. The woman said she saw my post and apologized for the intrusion. She put us on their No Call list.

I am so impressed, but a little weirded out (okay, I know that's not a real phrase) that she knew who we were to call Rick on his cell phone today. :eek:

Cindy - you shouldn't be weirded. You have provided enough personal information about yourself here at TUG that it really wouldn't be very difficult for DRI to make the connection with their guest records. From that they called a phone number that was provided some time - most likely at check-in or on their copy of an exchange confirmation.

I'm also not at all surprised that your message here triggered followup. DRI does review these boards regularly, and your complaint is one of the types of issues that DRI seems to be working hard to eliminate.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, am weirded out by DRI. On one hand they do seem to be very hands on (I don't recall EVER getting a call from RCI where they weren't trying to sell -or take-something); on the other hand they sometimes seem like the little boy who wanted to go outside and play but couldn't (because their room wasn't clean or they just weren't old enough). Kind of hard to explain but, I'm willing to give them enough credit for the improvements they have made in the past few years - of course, I am a DRI member and my options are a little limited. It does point out the fact that, when you post anywhere on line, you never know who is listening! :eek:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would expect that if you stayed at one of their resorts that you would have a current business relationship with them. Just because money doesn't change hands doesn't mean you didn't do business with them. You did use services they provided.

It is also possible that if you bought something in an onsite gift shop or restaurant, that would constitute a business relationship.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didnt think anyone answered the phone anymore...

I dont have a problem with junk mail, junk email or phone calls

I open my mail next to a trash can, read my email with a finger on the delete button, and dont often answer my phone. Unless its a name or number I recognize I let it go to voice mail. I return calls at my convenience.

Ive started to use Google Voice as my switchboard. I can set it so certain calls are forwarded to one phone or another, but most go directly to voice mail

L

laurac260

I didnt think anyone answered the phone anymore...

I dont have a problem with junk mail, junk email or phone calls

I open my mail next to a trash can, read my email with a finger on the delete button, and dont often answer my phone. Unless its a name or number I recognize I let it go to voice mail. I return calls at my convenience.

Ive started to use Google Voice as my switchboard. I can set it so certain calls are forwarded to one phone or another, but most go directly to voice mail

I'm starting to get the opposite feel. The past week we have spent uploading a new OS on our computers, which means we get to learn a new OS (always fun--plus calls to tech support), which means we also upgraded our existing phones (more fun), before that my phone stopped sending out e-mails, which meant more calls to tech support, our wireless router has been giving us fits (more calls to tech support), my DD got a new wireless device (more required learning about new technology), which also required her to have an e-mail address, which now gives me THREE e-mails addresses I need to monitor, plus I have several online groups I need to keep up with with homeschooling (which is also partially online), and I have a cell phone that texts.

The bottom line is that on more than one occasion this week I've threatened to chuck the whole mess in the creek and go back to writing on stone tablets!! Every time I turn around I'm hearing dings, and tones, and this and that, I've got e-mail, dd and dh got e-mail, cell phones ringing, texts binging, and not one human voice in all of them. Have we become humo -phobes?

Someone call and invite me out for an "old fashioned" cup of coffee please?? :eek:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound like DRI is reviewing this web site.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sound like DRI is reviewing this web site.

Nothing at all new. They've been doing so for years, even when they were still Sunterra.

One time when we were staying at Ka'anapali, I posted some unflattering comments about the resort from the room while we were there. The next day I got a call from the resort manager, asking for a chance to meet with me. He told me that he had been directed to call me by a Sunterra VEEP in Las Vegas who read my post.

He did acknowledge that all of my observations about the resort were correct, BTW, and they comped my daily parking fee.