• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond- Owner usage for resale owner

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are not current Diamond Resorts owners, but we are considering acquiring a free 1BR deeded unit in the original section of the Sedona Summit resort and would pay the closing costs. We have stayed at the resort via exchange, so are familiar with it.

I looked through the sticky in the Diamond forum and if I understand correctly, we would only be able to use the unit at the resort or exchange it through an external exchange company, assuming we open an account with one (we won't be able to add it to our II accounts from our Marriott or Vistana ownerships, or our RCI account from our HGVC ownership.) Is this correct? I spoke with a Diamond rep by phone and she indicated that we would be able to exchange it through their internal exchange if we paid $69 for the year and $159 for an exchange (IIRC). I was very clear that it is a resale ownership and they still said that worked. So, I am a bit confused about that.

I also read the original rules that the current owner provided, and they indicate that the owner can do a split week (4 and 3 night stays) in addition to the regular 7 night stay. The rep indicated that the split week option carries over to a resale owner. Is that true?

We would not plan to put the unit into their point program as we know that would require an additional investment. We know from experience that their sales teams are very aggressive, so we won't go for their programs. We live in Las Vegas and we like Sedona, so would plan to use the unit. Anything else that we should consider about this resort or Diamond in general?

Best regards.

Mike

Last edited:

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hi Mike,

I am attaching the guide for DRI's exchange program, Destination Exchange (aka DEx). This is indeed open to deeded owners. We have used it to book into Point at Poipu (2x), Cabo Azul (4x), and Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (1x). DEx was originally only for deeded week owners, but since January 2020, when DRI pulled out of II, it is now open to points owners as well. You DO NOT need to convert your week to points to participate in their program. And, unless you want to pay much higher MFs I recommend you keep it as a deeded week.

The fees for membership in DEx, exchange and upgrade fees are clearly spelled out in the guide. Each time I have deposited my unit, they have given me the highest Tier Value available. We own a high season, Sedona Summit (2BR LO), which we split it into a Studio (Tier 3) and a 1 BR (Tier 4).

Although I am not 100% certain, I think you could still deposit the unit with II or RCI. However, you would need to pay for your II or RCI account yourself.

Cindy

Attachments

• 2020 destination-xchange-guide_2.pdf
    19.6 MB · Views: 19

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond Resorts receives alot of criticism, and some of it is no doubt deserved, especially as it relates some of the methods allegedly used by their Sales teams.

But in our experience we have found that Diamond has some very good and experienced people on the Operations side. Some of the resorts are very nice, and depending on what somebody is looking for, and how they plan on using it, certain Diamond deeded weeks at certain Diamond properties can offer good value and a good vacation experience. So in my opinion some Diamond deeded weeks are definitely worth owning.

And so far we have been pleasantly surprised with the Diamond Destinations Exchange program. As long as Diamond doesn't do anything to mess around with it that would significantly reduce the value for owners, right now I think the program definitely ADDS value to one's Diamond ownership.

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hi Mike,

I forgot to answer the split week question. The two deeded weeks we own we bought resale and we have been able to split.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thank you Cindy and RLS50. Cindy, the DEx booklet was very informative and thank you for addressing the split week question as well.

Best regards.

Mike

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I would definitely do homework on DEX vs II or RCI. First, at least as of now, there is not a large selection of resorts to choose from in DEX and the quality of resorts is very suspect. As a weeks owner, it may be a better deal than it is for points owners. I’m not sure of the difference between the two as it pertains to DEX. I do love Sedona Summit as it’s one of Diamond’s nicer properties. However, it is not 5 star caliber.
What you should know that as an owner of that week you can take full advantage of II’s exchange system if Diamond limits use in in DEX.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely do homework on DEX vs II or RCI. First, at least as of now, there is not a large selection of resorts to choose from in DEX and the quality of resorts is very suspect. As a weeks owner, it may be a better deal than it is for points owners. I’m not sure of the difference between the two as it pertains to DEX. I do love Sedona Summit as it’s one of Diamond’s nicer properties. However, it is not 5 star caliber.
What you should know that as an owner of that week you can take full advantage of II’s exchange system if Diamond limits use in in DEX.
I agree with CSalter2, and maybe I should have better qualified my remarks.

For deeded weeks owners Destination Exchange has some nice features, that I view as complementary to our Interval International membership. But I do not view DEX as a replacement of II.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with CSalter2, and maybe I should have better qualified my remarks.

For deeded weeks owners Destination Exchange has some nice features, that I view as complementary to our Interval International membership. But I do not view DEX as a replacement of II.

Thank you both. I was wondering how robust the availability of the other resorts would be and that may improve over time. I would view either DEx, II or RCI as back up uses as we enjoy Sedona and it is an easy drive for us from Las Vegas. Having the split week option at Sedona Summit is another nice benefit to have and one that we would probably use some years.

We actually took a day trip to see the resort yesterday as we hadn't ever stayed in the original section of the resort. We agree that it isn't a 5 star property, but is very good. The 1BR unit is listed as 800 square feet and it felt spacious. The person who showed the room to us indicated that they have update the units in stages. This particular looked very good other than the kitchen and bathroom cabinets were obviously older. In looking at the floor plans online I could see that the units in the Mesa section are the same as the Summit section, but the units in the Sunset section (the newest section) are a bit smaller. That isn't unusual for newer development of a resort as the developer usually squeezes things.

Frankly, we thought about the Hyatt Pinon Pointe, but they cost more upfront and in MF's. And while Hyatt is considered higher tier, we haven't been that impressed with the resorts we have seen. Part of that is a personal preference for design, etc. So, Sedona Summit seems like a good choice for being in Sedona.

Best regards.

Mike

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Thank you both. I was wondering how robust the availability of the other resorts would be and that may improve over time. I would view either DEx, II or RCI as back up uses as we enjoy Sedona and it is an easy drive for us from Las Vegas. Having the split week option at Sedona Summit is another nice benefit to have and one that we would probably use some years.

We actually took a day trip to see the resort yesterday as we hadn't ever stayed in the original section of the resort. We agree that it isn't a 5 star property, but is very good. The 1BR unit is listed as 800 square feet and it felt spacious. The person who showed the room to us indicated that they have update the units in stages. This particular looked very good other than the kitchen and bathroom cabinets were obviously older. In looking at the floor plans online I could see that the units in the Mesa section are the same as the Summit section, but the units in the Sunset section (the newest section) are a bit smaller. That isn't unusual for newer development of a resort as the developer usually squeezes things.

Frankly, we thought about the Hyatt Pinon Pointe, but they cost more upfront and in MF's. And while Hyatt is considered higher tier, we haven't been that impressed with the resorts we have seen. Part of that is a personal preference for design, etc. So, Sedona Summit seems like a good choice for being in Sedona.

Best regards.

Mike

I have been to Sedona Summit a few times and like I said in my earlier post it is one of Diamond’s nicer resorts. I had seen the Mesa and Sunset units prior to staying there and when I made my reservation to actually stay there, I did not believe the Sunset units justified the additional points. It‘s kind of like the Suites and Villas at Polo Towers. They’re the exact same units with very little difference in decor in my opinion to justify the extra points for the villas.

The other gem in Sedona if DR ever decides to really fix it up is Los Abrigados. They have some huge two bedroom units. It’s closer to Sedona and extremely accessible to everything.