• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond offered to lower/eliminate maintenance fees if I buy more points

Kelandpat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resorts
Marriott resorts
I have a silver membership with diamond. Diamond rep says if I pay another $65k over next ten years, I’ll have a deeded ownership and pay less (in monthly payments) than I pay now for annual fees. I will be upgraded to platinum and he says I’ll never never have to pay maintenance fees again because I will earn credits toward future maintenance fees… does anyone else have a clear understanding of this and whether it really works that way? Also wondering how merging with Hilton will affect this.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
No. It doesn't work like this at all.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The loud sound you heard were my peals of laughter. Remember the old saying about a Timeshare sales person's lips moving. Also currently nobody is certain about how things are going to work with HGVC. Though the current indications are they will basically be maintained as 2 separate clubs.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Remember the old saying about a Timeshare sales person's lips moving. Also currently nobody is certain about how things are going to work with HGVC. Though the current indications are they will basically be maintained as 2 separate clubs.
This is my take even though I am really only familiar with the HGVC side of this merger.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The likely mumbo jumbo. There is an option to use points to pay maintenance fees. My guess is that the sales person is talking about you using the points from your new purchase to pay the maintenance fees on what you know own. Presto - if you make the 65k purchase, the maintenance fees you are now paying can go away.

Of course, you would still have to pay maintenance fees on your new purchase. And when you use points to pay maintenance fees, you take a haircut on the value of those points. If you want to use points to pay a $1500 maintenance fee, you will have paid about $3000 for the points that you use.

Last edited:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Diamond took over Gold Key in Virginia Beach, the pitch was to trade in your deed and purchase points. A lot of people regretted that. Those that kept their deeds were happy they did. The pitch to pay maintenance fees with points is a BIG selling point with the unscrupulous Diamond sales guys. It doesn't work. I'm sure that he did not put this in any written form.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an experience once when my husband and I agreed to purchase something at Hilton Hawaiian Village. We went back to our room with the paperwork -- looked at each other and said:
"What have we done?"
Cancelled immediately.
That's when I said -- they must pump a low dose of nitrous oxide in those sales rooms.
That's what it would take for me to agree to pay $65,000 to Diamond.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When Diamond took over Gold Key in Virginia Beach, the pitch was to trade in your deed and purchase points. A lot of people regretted that. Those that kept their deeds were happy they did. The pitch to pay maintenance fees with points is a BIG selling point with the unscrupulous Diamond sales guys. It doesn't work. I'm sure that he did not put this in any written form.
I've heard them rhapsodize about how wonderful it is that we can monetize our points. - use them to pay maintenance fees, book hotels and flights, etc. etc. That is one of the tremendous values that one gets by becoming Gold, and it's even more wonderful if you go to Platinum because your points have value when you are platinum (or higher yet).

If I respond at all, I ask them why I would pay $1000 in maintenance fees using $2000 in points. And that every time I've looked at using my Diamond points for other services, I have always been able to make the same reservation directly for less money than those Diamond points cost me.

One sales guy agree with me, then said it probably worked best if you did that using points that were going to expire anyway. To which I replied, that if you monetize Diamond points, you can't use current year points. So you can't use expiring points that way any way. He said nothing, but the look on his face was eloquent. I don't think he knew that limitation existed.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I have a machine that turns water into wine, and paper into gold. It's only $45,000, a bargain.

Kelandpat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resorts
Marriott resorts
;) thanks for your replies! I agree this seems an absurd amount of money, but when they’re telling you that you’re going to pay that much anyway over the next 10 years in maintenance fees… and why wouldn’t you want to upgrade to platinum and avoid fees… what I really start to wonder is why I’m paying all of these maintenance fees?!?!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If I respond at all, I ask them why I would pay $1000 in maintenance fees using $2000 in points. And that every time I've looked at using my Diamond points for other services, I have always been able to make the same reservation directly for less money than those Diamond points cost me.
HGVC also has a similar conversion but to Hilton honors points at 25-1 (of next year's pts). I find it is best to use HGVC TS points to book HGVC TS stays. Of course, TS salesperson will try to "sell" this "wonderful" option. I agree with @T_R_Oglodyte, you need to be informed prior to going to any 'owners update' (aka sales presentation).