• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DH is picking out a new refrigerator

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks for all the great advice. You realize I have to tread lightly as I passed on actively participating in this... I am concerned about about Samsung, but that is what DH picked. French door, 4 doors. It really has to be white, which is a shame as it's pricier. Silly, it comes with the top (french) doors 'morning blue glass'. We have to purchase white panelS for the top. DH asked me to double check the website - does it really say panel (as opposed to panels) for $125 each - yup - had to purchase 2 (who would purchase 1). Thank goodness he noticed that. It should fit well in the current space (that is built in cabinets both sides and overhead). It will stick out 4" more. Not that we need that, but figure for resale of house we'll do it. And thanks for the heads up on size - they will need to take the doors off to get it in here (we think). DH called them to give them a heads up. I may sneak in a warranty, that will be my contribution. And geez, might need to be worrying about my hardwood floor (boards are curling :-( ).
The best way to move a fridge on your wood floors is to put down a heavy blanket or towel. Then a large piece of plywood on top of that. Then get the fridge up on that and slide by pulling the towel/ blanket

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
At the time, I thought it was silly for us to keep our 20-year old Kenmore in the garage after replacing it with a new LG . But when our LG's compressor quit in year 4, the old Kenmore proved to be a lifesaver. All of our food went out the garage for the duration... except the ice cream which we had to eat.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
our LG's compressor quit in year 4

I’ve heard this happen to several friends with their LG refrigerators, along with other complaints. I think they all replaced them with Bosch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Personally, I think the simplest fridge is the best. I would not buy Whirlpool, had the compressor go once in 10 months, under warranty, then again at 2.5 years, and just bought an Insignia from Best Buy. I'd suggest if your homeowners insurance offers it getting the mechanical breakdown coverage for appliances etc. That tends to run ~ $45 a year with a $500 deductible. If something breaks, get a repair person to say it doesn't work on a piece of paper and make a simple claim to replace. This at least holds your costs down. Even so - most of the expensive parts of new fridges are of limited value IMHO - french doors, multiple pull out freezer drawers, screens, ice machines and water dispensers, wifi / bluetooth, cameras... None of this is core to what a fridge does, and is a lot of added crap to break and increase the chances of a malfunction. We have even separated the freezer from the fridge, we get more room in both, both are even simpler, and tend to cost less individually if one breaks, and you're not out both parts while getting a new one. YMMV on space though, or needs for that.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We replaced the motherboard in our Maytag Neptune washer/dryer stack. We bought it in 2000. I checked the internet, found the answer, bought a motherboard from an appliance repair company on ebay. The price was reasonable, and it was new. That was about 8 years ago.

One has to worry about traveling a lot and the refrigerator breaking in the interim. It can be a stinky mess for sure. I told Rick after the refrigerator broke once that we need to use all of the food in the freezer before we leave our house. We never do that.
We have a Maytag French door refrigerator/freezer we bought about that time. The motherboard failed and was replaced under warranty. Maytag had a problem then because they sourced electrolytic capacitors from a company that had counterfeited another company's design, but not quite. These capacitors dried out after a few years, which caused the motherboards to fail.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I would not buy Whirlpool, had the compressor go once in 10 months, under warranty, then again at 2.5 years, and just bought an Insignia from Best Buy.

I'm sure every vendor has customers with a similar story. Even so, when I spoke with an independent repair service and two independent resellers (not big box stores) they all agreed Whirlpool (at least the model I was considering and purchased) was the most reliable refrigerator they sold, as the components and design hadn't changed in a long, long time and was rock solid. I bought it three years ago and so far it's been great.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I'm sure every vendor has customers with a similar story. Even so, when I spoke with an independent repair service and two independent resellers (not big box stores) they all agreed Whirlpool (at least the model I was considering and purchased) was the most reliable refrigerator they sold, as the components and design hadn't changed in a long, long time and was rock solid. I bought it three years ago and so far it's been great.
When I was looking, actually online "everywhere" I looked said avoid Whirlpool and they were the worst maker. I took a chance as it was also the cheapest stand alone fridge I could get at the time. I'm glad I went cheap this time. That all said, you're probably right about brands that you can find a bad story about them. That said, my independent retailer did give me the side eye on getting the whirlpool stand alone fridge, and the repair tech also said this fix won't last. He was right too.

FWIW, I have a kenmore that's a rebadged Whirlpool upright stand alone freezer and it's going strong. So IDK. I feel like just being a fridge should be simpler, so more reliable, but maybe there just isn't a huge market for those in the consumer brands so is less reliable cause way less people buy them. The insignia stand alone device is actually a fridge or freezer, you can set it on the door panel. So far, it hasn't broken in the 10 months, and had much better online reviews for the tiny bit that's worth. I think it's going on 2 years now.

I do stand by thinking that avoiding LCD screens and wifi / bluetooth / cameras stuff if at all possible is a good idea no matter the brand - a fridge doesn't need those things, and I can just imagine something stupid like with some EVs - if the screen dies the whole fridge controller shuts down... I don't know if that'll happen, but I can just expect it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When I was looking, actually online "everywhere" I looked said avoid Whirlpool and they were the worst maker.

When I bought a few years ago, my experience was exactly the opposite. Sorry.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
When I bought a few years ago, my experience was exactly the opposite. Sorry.

The 24 year old one we are replacing is a Whirlpool. I'm not gonna do it - but it's tempting to offer it for free if someone comes and gets it. It's the water that is leaking. If someone wanted a freezer and refrigerator (without an icemaker/water feature) for their garage, it still works!! We are paying $50 to have them haul it away.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Personally, I think the simplest fridge is the best. I would not buy Whirlpool, had the compressor go once in 10 months, under warranty, then again at 2.5 years, and just bought an Insignia from Best Buy. I'd suggest if your homeowners insurance offers it getting the mechanical breakdown coverage for appliances etc. That tends to run ~ $45 a year with a $500 deductible. If something breaks, get a repair person to say it doesn't work on a piece of paper and make a simple claim to replace. This at least holds your costs down. Even so - most of the expensive parts of new fridges are of limited value IMHO - french doors, multiple pull out freezer drawers, screens, ice machines and water dispensers, wifi / bluetooth, cameras... None of this is core to what a fridge does, and is a lot of added crap to break and increase the chances of a malfunction. We have even separated the freezer from the fridge, we get more room in both, both are even simpler, and tend to cost less individually if one breaks, and you're not out both parts while getting a new one. YMMV on space though, or needs for that.
What do you mean you separated the freezer from the fridge?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not refrigerator but 3 years ago we got new Washer/Dryer Maytag, good on Consumer Reports ratings. Hate them , the washer has a large capacity but still only puts a small amount of water in even with the Deep Fill option. Found out you have to use the Bedding setting in the washer to get a whole 10 inches of water in the large capacity , guy said to not fill it up with clothes. They also both run forever taking more electricity .

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
What do you mean you separated the freezer from the fridge?
I mean I have a fridge, which is just a fridge - there's no freezer compartment, and 2 freezers which are only freezers - no fridge compartment..

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Not refrigerator but 3 years ago we got new Washer/Dryer Maytag, good on Consumer Reports ratings. Hate them , the washer has a large capacity but still only puts a small amount of water in even with the Deep Fill option. Found out you have to use the Bedding setting in the washer to get a whole 10 inches of water in the large capacity , guy said to not fill it up with clothes. They also both run forever taking more electricity .
I got one of the last good top load Speed Queens, I think it was circa 2017 or so. Still has a traditional agitator, and fills with water. It also only takes ~35 minutes if you don't add soak / second / third rinse / pre-wash. The issue is there's an idea that washers use way too much water - and maybe they do in some places. Where I live, with a well, the water is effectively the cost of the electricity to run the pumps, i.e. basically free. We get so much rain that the well isn't going to run dry - we have to try and get rid of the water more often.

I've heard really mixed reviews of front loaders - they supposedly do wash very well with very little water compared to top loaders. But a top loader without much water just doesn't work from what I can tell. Front loaders have the problem of building up crap in the seals - needing special cleaning stuff to kill mold and bacteria. And this seems to happen even if you leave the door open, at least according to my family.

It's not great - but I think at this point you have to look for restored or used older washers, or get used to figuring out a front loader (paying more for them, they were like $2,500 for the good brand vs $900 back in 2017) and keeping up with the maintenance.

With some of these things, I do wonder if some of the changes overall actually improve the environment. I know they often don't improve people's lives - waiting hours on hours for a wash has a cost too.

Reactions: Tia

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I mean I have a fridge, which is just a fridge - there's no freezer compartment, and 2 freezers which are only freezers - no fridge compartment..
I love that! It’s ideal!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the time, I thought it was silly for us to keep our 20-year old Kenmore in the garage after replacing it with a new LG . But when our LG's compressor quit in year 4, the old Kenmore proved to be a lifesaver. All of our food went out the garage for the duration... except the ice cream which we had to eat.

I have a family member who has a back up fridge in his garage. It is older and runs on natural gas! You wouldn't think that hot flame would keep the contents cold but that it does. He keeps it stocked all the time with soda and beer.

Don't ask me the brand but it is circa 40's or 50's.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I got one of the last good top load Speed Queens, I think it was circa 2017 or so. Still has a traditional agitator, and fills with water. It also only takes ~35 minutes if you don't add soak / second / third rinse / pre-wash. The issue is there's an idea that washers use way too much water - and maybe they do in some places. Where I live, with a well, the water is effectively the cost of the electricity to run the pumps, i.e. basically free. We get so much rain that the well isn't going to run dry - we have to try and get rid of the water more often.

I've heard really mixed reviews of front loaders - they supposedly do wash very well with very little water compared to top loaders. But a top loader without much water just doesn't work from what I can tell. Front loaders have the problem of building up crap in the seals - needing special cleaning stuff to kill mold and bacteria. And this seems to happen even if you leave the door open, at least according to my family.

It's not great - but I think at this point you have to look for restored or used older washers, or get used to figuring out a front loader (paying more for them, they were like $2,500 for the good brand vs $900 back in 2017) and keeping up with the maintenance.

With some of these things, I do wonder if some of the changes overall actually improve the environment. I know they often don't improve people's lives - waiting hours on hours for a wash has a cost too.
For our new house we had a GE deep basin top load washer with matching dryer put in. It has all these bells and whistles I never use. Who the heck needs WiFi on a washer?

I do not like the front loaders.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
For our new house we had a GE deep basin top load washer with matching dryer put in. It has all these bells and whistles I never use. Who the heck needs WiFi on a washer?

I do not like the front loaders.
We have a basic Maytag Washer/Dryer circa 1978. Back when Maytag meant quality.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've loved my front loaders, and I've had them since they first really went mainstream in the US in the early 'aughts. I've never had an issue with mold/funk (and I'm allergic to mold.) Just leave the door ajar for about 24 hours and periodically, I'll run a load of my white bath mats with bleach (maybe three times a year.) Never had an issue. And I stack my full-sized front loader and dryer, so I have more space in my laundry room. The one thing I would change about this house is that I would have put in a folding counter and/or separate sink in my laundry room. It's right next to my guest bath, so the sink isn't as big an issue (it's like three steps from sink to washer.) But i would love a counter or folding surface in there.
/off-topic

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did this once - never again: DH got a great deal on a tiny refrigerator that was much too small for the space, and obviously would not meet our needs. Then he was upset when I told him it had to go back. That won't happen again! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I got one of the last good top load Speed Queens, I think it was circa 2017 or so. Still has a traditional agitator, and fills with water.
You didn't get the last one -- Speed Queen still makes top-load washers w/ the traditional agitator. In fact, all of their top-load washers have the agitator. High quality and they are made in the USA.

We bought a TC5 around 2019 back and we love it. We had previously replaced our ~25 year old Maytag set w/ a new Maytag "efficient" set -- what a mistake! While the dryer was good, the washer didn't get clothes clean at all. We only had that set for a couple of years and replaced them w/ our Speed Queen set (which look quite similar to our original Maytag set).

If anyone wants a W/D set that is still built to last, Speed Queen is the best these days. My sister and her husband who have owned an appliance store for 40 years highly recommend them.

Now if only Speed Queen made refrigerators... :)

Kurt

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't get the last one -- Speed Queen still makes top-load washers w/ the traditional agitator. In fact, all of their top-load washers have the agitator. High quality and they are made in the USA.

We bought a TC5 around 2019 back and we love it. We had previously replaced our ~25 year old Maytag set w/ a new Maytag "efficient" set -- what a mistake! While the dryer was good, the washer didn't get clothes clean at all. We only had that set for a couple of years and replaced them w/ our Speed Queen set (which look quite similar to our original Maytag set).

If anyone wants a W/D set that is still built to last, Speed Queen is the best these days. My sister and her husband who have owned an appliance store for 40 years highly recommend them.

Kurt
Even the HE High Efficiency in Speed Queen are recommended??

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I have a frig that is 2 separate units - side by side. One is a fridge, and one is a freezer. Together it looks like a built-in unit - it has a metal frame around it.

However, while they work fine - the inside parts are really cheaply made and are falling apart, and the doors don't close well. I don't really want to spend money replacing parts on an old fridge I don't really like.

BUT I can't find any similar fridges that are the same size. Frigidaire and Electrolux make a similar set of paired frig/freezer units, but they are about 3" wider together than mine - I would have to figure out how to cut into the decorative woodwork around the current Fridge. Plus, you need a lot of room to properly combine and level the 2 fridges, so they appear as 1 unit - but I have an extra-large kitchen island in the way. Plus, not Cheap - probably $6 to $7 K for the Frigidaire units or $8K - $9K for the Electrolux units - Basically the same unit - Electrolux just looks more upscale.

So, I am not sure what I can do. At this point, I am hoping they last until we either move in like 10 years or until we decide to redo the kitchen.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Would you do this? DH is the appliance shopper in this house.

I just hate shopping. We've the done same for cars. DH loves to analyze and negotiate (retired purchasing manager). Me, not so much. Our 24 year old refrigerator is leaking (I'm more worried about the Kiss Pinball Machine in the basement it was dripping on)! DH is shopping, he just facetimed me to show me what he's found. Dimensions are very important, so that it fits in the cabinets that were custom made to fit.

My wife picks the colors but I'm picking the brands. After reading your post I feel the need to get a pinball machine, lol.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We replaced the motherboard in our Maytag Neptune washer/dryer stack. We bought it in 2000. I checked the internet, found the answer, bought a motherboard from an appliance repair company on ebay. The price was reasonable, and it was new. That was about 8 years ago.

One has to worry about traveling a lot and the refrigerator breaking in the interim. It can be a stinky mess for sure. I told Rick after the refrigerator broke once that we need to use all of the food in the freezer before we leave our house. We never do that.

The freezer power was accidentally turned off when my brother in law went to Hawaii. He likes to save money by turning things off or down unlike me who leaves everything on. Luckily the fridge was the extra fridge in the garage. Unfortunately, the freezer was full of meat and fish which all went bad after three weeks. He ended up hiring a contractor to haul the freezer and contents away. This was covered by his homeowners policy and the contractor had to paint the garage and use an ozone machine to get the reek out.

Bill

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure

Kurt
I think you're wrong about that - the newer top load ones the agitator doesn't move, just the whole drum swishes back and forth. Mine was one of the last years the center agitator moves separate from the drum. Was again claimed about efficiency standards, but I can't see how.