• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DEX vs II for Deeded Owner

pokerguy28

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Polo Towers - 2 deeded units
Hi, I searched for this topic but was unable to find anything substantial, so I thought I would just go ahead and ask. I am a deeded owner at the Polo Towers and have been for quite some time now. I have been using II for years to exchange my weeks but only recently found out about DEX. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better? I know DEX has less properties but offers 5 year exchanges, but otherwise that's about it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mean Dial An Exchange company correct? I haven’t ever banked anything with them, but I have bought several last minute bonus weeks. I find them easy to work with and their website is breeze. Your right about them not having the amount of properties that II has, but what matters is do they have the properties your interested in?
You might look into SFX also neither of these exchange companies have a yearly membership fee.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
or do you mean Diamonds internal exchange program. It depends what tier level you own and where you want to exchange to. They have non diamond weeks in there (that someone mentioned they thought they got through RCI) but even average non Diamond weeks are tier 5 and 6 which would require additional "upgrade" fees on top of the exchange fee.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi, I searched for this topic but was unable to find anything substantial, so I thought I would just go ahead and ask. I am a deeded owner at the Polo Towers and have been for quite some time now. I have been using II for years to exchange my weeks but only recently found out about DEX. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better? I know DEX has less properties but offers 5 year exchanges, but otherwise that's about it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

If possible, move this thread to the Diamond Resort forum, since DEx is a Diamond program. You may get more responses, especially from owners who have some experience with it. I just learned about it, so can't provide any insights at this point. Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps for someone's first post, they shouldn't use acronyms. Most new people complain about acronyms, now even the long time Tuggers can't figure out what DEX is.

Bill4728

Reaction score
cindys said:
Hi Mike,

I am attaching the guide for DRI's exchange program, Destination Exchange (aka DEx). This is indeed open to deeded owners. We have used it to book into Point at Poipu (2x), Cabo Azul (4x), and Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (1x). DEx was originally only for deeded week owners, but since January 2020, when DRI pulled out of II, it is now open to points owners as well. You DO NOT need to convert your week to points to participate in their program. And, unless you want to pay much higher MFs I recommend you keep it as a deeded week.

The fees for membership in DEx, exchange and upgrade fees are clearly spelled out in the guide. Each time I have deposited my unit, they have given me the highest Tier Value available. We own a high season, Sedona Summit (2BR LO), which we split it into a Studio (Tier 3) and a 1 BR (Tier 4).

Although I am not 100% certain, I think you could still deposit the unit with II or RCI. However, you would need to pay for your II or RCI account yourself.
It looks like DEX is the Diamond exchange program So I'll move this to the Diamond board

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am an owner of two deeded weeks at DRI-Sedona Summit and have been used DEx about 7 times now in the past 1.5 years. Here is my two cents:

DEx Pros:
Availability to book up to 13 mo. in advance on DRI resorts
Lower Exchange fee than II
Deposits last for 5 years, longer than II
Cost of joining DEx lower than II
Cost of Guest Certificate lower than II
Deposits generate highest Tier Value available

DEx Cons:
Uneven quality of resorts available
Higher cost to upgrade to a higher Tier, $175
No ongoing search option
Some room types (Ocean front or Presidential Suite) or holiday weeks at some resorts have a hefty premium charge $1500

Polo Towers has one of the highest Tier Values in the DRI constellation. If you have a lock off you could spit your unit and deposit all or part of it onto DEx. I use it primarily to book multiple rooms at the same resort for family vacations during peak time school holidays we have booked:

3 rooms at Cabo Azul, Spring Break
2 rooms at Point at Poipu, Presidents Week
2 rooms at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, summer

I like to plan 12 months in advance for school break holidays, so it works well for our family.

I am attaching th DEx guidebook and it will spell out the usage rules. The book only has DRI resorts listed but there are many non-DRI weeks available although usually at higher tier values (5 and 6).

Good luck!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you find the Tier Values rating for your resort ?
My son own a four bedrooms unit at Greenspring Vacation Resort, sleep 12. Christmas Week. This is a lockout unit. Each unit is a two bedroom unit, with a full kitchen, living room ( television & dvd player) and dining room; plus, each bedroom has a television & dvd player and it's on bathroom.

Last edited:

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Where do you find the Tier Values rating for your resort ?
My son own a four bedrooms unit at Greenspring Vacation Resort, sleep 12. Christmas Week. This is a lockout unit. Each unit is a two bedroom unit, with a full kitchen, living room ( television & dvd player) and dining room; plus, each bedroom has a television & dvd player and it's on bathroom.

You can find the 2020 DEx guide in the DRI Sticky, or I just added it to my reply just above your post.

Looking at the DEx guide (p. 147) looks like that would net a Tier 6 -- the highest available for the full 4 BR deposit. Or, if he splits the unit, 2 weeks at Tier 4.

C

Attachments

• 2020 destination-xchange-guide_2.pdf
    19.6 MB · Views: 33

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can find the 2020 DEx guide in the DRI Sticky, or I just added it to my reply just above your post.

Looking at the DEx guide (p. 147) looks like that would net a Tier 6 -- the highest available for the full 4 BR deposit. Or, if he splits the unit, 2 weeks at Tier 4.

C
Thanks you very much.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::wave:

pokerguy28

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Polo Towers - 2 deeded units
I am an owner of two deeded weeks at DRI-Sedona Summit and have been used DEx about 7 times now in the past 1.5 years. Here is my two cents:

DEx Pros:
Availability to book up to 13 mo. in advance on DRI resorts
Lower Exchange fee than II
Deposits last for 5 years, longer than II
Cost of joining DEx lower than II
Cost of Guest Certificate lower than II
Deposits generate highest Tier Value available

DEx Cons:
Uneven quality of resorts available
Higher cost to upgrade to a higher Tier, $175
No ongoing search option
Some room types (Ocean front or Presidential Suite) or holiday weeks at some resorts have a hefty premium charge $1500

Polo Towers has one of the highest Tier Values in the DRI constellation. If you have a lock off you could spit your unit and deposit all or part of it onto DEx. I use it primarily to book multiple rooms at the same resort for family vacations during peak time school holidays we have booked:

3 rooms at Cabo Azul, Spring Break
2 rooms at Point at Poipu, Presidents Week
2 rooms at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, summer

I like to plan 12 months in advance for school break holidays, so it works well for our family.

I am attaching th DEx guidebook and it will spell out the usage rules. The book only has DRI resorts listed but there are many non-DRI weeks available although usually at higher tier values (5 and 6).

Good luck!

This is great Cindy thanks! What kind of notice do you need to give to DEx for exchanges? I find that with II that I get pretty much get what I want if I book 60+ days in advance.

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can see all the inventory and it is searchable. You can book up to 13 months in advance and I recommend doing so for school break, peak holidays or if you want a specific time frame.

The non-DRI weeks listed are scatterings of resorts one week here and there and seem to change often. I don't know how they get that inventory. I am *guessing* that it might be non-DRI weeks deposited by DRI points owners into what used to called The Club. Maybe a points owner in The Club can weigh in and add what they know.