• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DEX..Diamond XChange?

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
Does anyone really understand this "new and improved" option at Diamond Resorts? I know one can deposit points and have up to 5 years to use them. I know this replaces the II affiliation DRI had for years (which we never used but paid for each year) but it seems so complicated to me that it makes me dizzy! Different tiers of exchanges, fees to exchange (which are less than the comparable fees from II) but to know exactly how to navigate this system is confusing. Hope I haven't missed a previous discussion of this new program.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Does anyone really understand this "new and improved" option at Diamond Resorts? I know one can deposit points and have up to 5 years to use them. I know this replaces the II affiliation DRI had for years (which we never used but paid for each year) but it seems so complicated to me that it makes me dizzy! Different tiers of exchanges, fees to exchange (which are less than the comparable fees from II) but to know exactly how to navigate this system is confusing. Hope I haven't missed a previous discussion of this new program.

The DR website is pretty clear. Is there a specific question that you have? Perhaps I and others can help.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will share that my experience with the new system is only so/so. Basically, the units that used to be added from Club Combo/Club Select are now offered as Destination Exchange weeks through The Club. This is actually different from the Diamond Destination Exchange program that can be used by deeded weeks owners. It's very confusing because both programs have the same name. I was able to make an exchange recently in the Club side of Destination Exchange, but it's not easy to find decent weeks. You have to search often. Some of the weeks available through The Club Destination Exchange are way overpriced. (Some not great studios are considered Tier 6, which is 12,000 club points.) The way they assign a Tier number to many of the units is not logical.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you used DRI Club Points to exchange with RCI or II ?

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
The DR website is pretty clear. Is there a specific question that you have? Perhaps I and others can help.
I don't have a specific question or exchange I want to make right now but am not sure how to decide whether to use the Club (for no exchange fee) or DEX which, as someone has said has greatly inflated costs re: number of points necessary to book. I have taken my 2020 points which I couldn't use anyway due to COVID and deposited them into two different tiers of the DEX. My 2021 points can be used either way and I'm hoping to be able to use them next year but who knows the way things are going presently. I have enjoyed my DRI timeshare for many years and keep paying the ever-increasing maintenance and club fees years. It used to be simple to use; book through the club or through II.

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
I will share that my experience with the new system is only so/so. Basically, the units that used to be added from Club Combo/Club Select are now offered as Destination Exchange weeks through The Club. This is actually different from the Diamond Destination Exchange program that can be used by deeded weeks owners. It's very confusing because both programs have the same name. I was able to make an exchange recently in the Club side of Destination Exchange, but it's not easy to find decent weeks. You have to search often. Some of the weeks available through The Club Destination Exchange are way overpriced. (Some not great studios are considered Tier 6, which is 12,000 club points.) The way they assign a Tier number to many of the units is not logical.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate hearing from someone who has used this new program.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have a specific question or exchange I want to make right now but am not sure how to decide whether to use the Club (for no exchange fee) or DEX which, as someone has said has greatly inflated costs re: number of points necessary to book. I have taken my 2020 points which I couldn't use anyway due to COVID and deposited them into two different tiers of the DEX. My 2021 points can be used either way and I'm hoping to be able to use them next year but who knows the way things are going presently. I have enjoyed my DRI timeshare for many years and keep paying the ever-increasing maintenance and club fees years. It used to be simple to use; book through the club or through II.
You can always save your current year points for the following year if you do it earlier in the year.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Personally, I think that it’s best to use your points for regular Diamond reservations. However, if you see a resort where Diamond does not have a location, you can do an exchange with your points and pay the exchange fee. I would only deposit into the tiers of the DEX program if I had no other choice, and I was going to lose my points because I could not bank them into the next year. Trying to choose the tier is not easy because you don’t know what size unit or where you’ll be in a couple of years, so you could lose points if you placed points in Tier 6 now but 4 years from now you find a really nice Tier 4 that meets your needs, You will lose the difference in points. That’s 4000 points or about $760 that you’d have lost. I forsee that happening in the future to many people.

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
Thanks for the replies. Our problem was that we had banked 2019 points thinking to use them this year. When 2020 closed down many resorts we didn't travel. It was getting toward the end of the year and we were going to lose those 2019 points so I put them into DEX. I don't know if what I did will reap benefits but we'll see. I still have some 2021 points available to exchange for regular Club properties.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How are DRI Club points used in the new DEX program or can you used DRI Club points after December 31, 2020?

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
How are DRI Club points used in the new DEX program or can you used DRI Club points after December 31, 2020?
It's very complicated IMHO. You can deposit points from 2019 and 2020 and have five years to use them....with an exchange fee, of course. They are using this instead of their old affilication with Interval International, which also charged a fee. DEX fees are supposed to be lower. Using them is not something I'm familiar with yet. All the information is on their website.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

In the DEX program, there are 6 tiers of accommodation types. These tiers start at tier 1 which is 2000 points and tiers increase by 2000 until tier 6 at 12000 points. You can put your DRI CLUB points in any tier or tiers you’d like. The tiers increase by size, quality and season. You can keep the deposit in the DEX program up to five years where you can only keep deposits in interval up to two years. There are other particulars of DEX that if you had questions I’d address. However, this is an exchange program. You can also not use the tier program and just use your points to make a straight exchange like you did with points and pay the exchange fee the way you did with Interval.

You can use the DEX program after December into the future for exchanges. It is Diamond’s official program for exchanges for its members. Interval International
is now owned by Marriott so they don’t want their customers swayed by going and supporting Marriott when they want that money.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where can you find more information about DEX Exchange Program tier system?

Which is better the tier system or the point system ?
Thanks for any information, you can share.

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
If you are a Diamond member, go to your account on their webpage. They have been doing video explanations of DEX for the past several months and there are a few scheduled for December. It's an explanation, of sorts, of the program and time for Q&A. You have to search around the page to find the link that will let you register for the one you want to view.

eggmansr71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts
I will second the opinion that the current pricing of points and tiers makes little sense. Off-season time slots going for 12k points is ridiculous. I read in the DEX pdf that Diamond is going to allow you to book Embarc and Diamond starting in January through DEX. So this seems to be the workaround (although a poor one) for not allowing Diamond Club members the ability to book Embarc directly.

cindyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
I participated in a couple of the Zoom sessions on The Club as well as Destination Exchange. I found it quite helpful and both were well done. You can find the announcement and sign up for these sessions under the News tab on your DRI account.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
What is Embarc? Sorry, but that term/acronym isn't familiar to me. Thanks!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the DE webinar sessions are closed on the DRI website.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is Embarc? Sorry, but that term/acronym isn't familiar to me. Thanks!
Embarc (https://embarcresorts.com/) is the old Club Intrawest.
When Diamond Resorts acquired Club Intrawest resorts in 2016 (https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...tional-Completes-Acquisition-Intrawest-Resort), they were not allowed to keep the Club Intrawest name.
So, they renamed it to Embarc.
They never added Embarc to THE Club and never added any resorts of Embarc in US Collection.
They managed Embarc separately.

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
Thanks...I was a DRI owner in 2016 but don't remember any of that transaction. So we are going to have access to those resorts effective 1/21?

I just liked the old Club exchange system and will probably use it more than DEX but it's IS attractive to be able to bank points for 5 years instead of scrambling to use them or lose them. We never had a problem using our points until we bought a winter home in Texas and spend 4 1/2 months there each year. That seems to leave less time for travel to timeshares. I need to get with the program and use all this stuff I'm paying dearly for!!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I've used my Diamond property the last few years. Is depositing in II still an option? I used my last II deposit to book a week back to my Diamond resort this month. I've got a couple of dual-affiliated resorts I could deposit with II, but I seem to have better luck with RCI.

Sheila

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I've used my Diamond property the last few years. Is depositing in II still an option? I used my last II deposit to book a week back to my Diamond resort this month. I've got a couple of dual-affiliated resorts I could deposit with II, but I seem to have better luck with RCI.

Sheila
Yes, but only through a personal II account. DRI will no longer have corporate accounts with II; corporate accounts will only be with their internal DX system.
Weeks: I'm a new week owner within DRI, and I am able to deposit my 2021 week(s) with II. II is actually offering an extra AC for each of my Sedona Summit deposits as long as the reservation is between March 25 - August 25. I have until February 19 to deposit and receive the AC(s).

Points: I not a points owner so I'll defer to them, but as I understand it you can setup a personal account to deposit next year. I based that on this post (and others as well): https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/b...d-no-dri-interval-account.307769/post-2485286

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but only through a personal II account. DRI will no longer have corporate accounts with II; corporate accounts will only be with their internal DX system.
Weeks: I'm a new week owner within DRI, and I am able to deposit my 2021 week(s) with II. II is actually offering an extra AC for each of my Sedona Summit deposits as long as the reservation is between March 25 - August 25. I have until February 19 to deposit and receive the AC(s).

Points: I not a points owner so I'll defer to them, but as I understand it you can setup a personal account to deposit next year. I based that on this post (and others as well): https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/b...d-no-dri-interval-account.307769/post-2485286
Are you saying, you may be able to exchange with II, if you have a personal account with II and a DRI DE account?

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
Diamond has severed their years-long relationship with II effective 12/31/20. I guess I would contact customer service if you want to use II before that; afterward you would have to buy a separate II membership. II has been sending mailings all summer to entice DRI owners to stick with II at their own expense. DEX is supposed to be superior, have lower exchange fees and more ways to use points. I'm not at all sure what fixed week owners are doing with all this. I haven't used it yet so can't speak to those claims. I noticed via an email today that they are presenting more webinars to learn about DEX.