• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Developer Vs Resale: Booking Changes (I have both types of contracts) Can I book a reservation using points from both pools?

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
Been a minute since I logged in and now I see you have to specify Resale Vs Developer Points for type of booking. Am I able to book a reservation that uses a combination of resale and developer points? Say I have 80k in Resale and 100k in Developer and the cost of a booking is 154k, is that reservation now possible? In the past I would just book and it would pool from necessary pools/buckets of points.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is supposed to be possible, but it not clear that the website supports it---at least not in all situations. See @Eric B's recent posts here:

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have both types of points. If your not a VIP level or if you are and it’s 60 days or more out I would think this would be possible. As all points basically have the same value at that time. I would bet you have to call reservations to handle it for you. As resale points and developer points have different levels of charges for housekeeping and reservations. You get some free so that might be an issue for you. But like I stated if your not at a VIP level makes no difference unless you need the 13 month out priority of booking your home resort.

If you are VIP and the reservation is less than 60 days you can use your developer points for discount. If you don’t own enough you can borrow from the next year.

I called Wyndham this morning because I needed to ask about reservation transaction credits/fee. I didn’t like the answer I got, but the VC seemed knowledgeable.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I just did this for a Dec booking because I had 7000 resale points that were going to expire. I combined these with some leftover developer points and some borrowed 2022 points for the reservation. Did it all online.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Tinkering around with it, I've seen that in ERP you can borrow developer points from a future use year for a resale booking. I moved all my developer points out of this year and can't tell if you can borrow developer points form the current year, though. It seems to be an improper implementation of what they said we should be able to do and hasn't been corrected yet.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only in Express, or in Standard as well?

Since we're in late September now, I'm thinking that all of 2021 except the last week in December would be in the Express period by now, right? Is it 90 days? I understand that we're trying to determine how it is and isn't working - I just meant to remind everyone that we are coming to a point in the year where any reservations for the end of the year will be in the express period and able to use borrowed points if needed.

Last edited:

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VIP Silver, Wyndham Clearwater Beach (326k Developer), Wyndham Bonnet Creek (74k Developer and 269k Resale) Wyndham Ocean Boulevard (220.5k Resale)
I think it is supposed to be possible, but it not clear that the website supports it---at least not in all situations. See @Eric B's recent posts here:

For reference my reservation was for a weekend in April 2022.

The website does not support this reservation. I had to choose either resale or developer before booking. I called Wyndham VIP to make this reservation possible and the lady on the phone quickly asked me which bucket I booked from (they must be getting a lot of these calls), and tried to convince me that I could not combined the points.

It was clear to me on the phone the website was operating as designed according the rep I was speaking to. You must book all your reservation from either developer or resale points. After threatening to dump my resale contracts I convinced her otherwise....and she made my reservation pulling developer points into resale points bucket and booked what I wanted.

How unfortunate.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It was clear to me on the phone the website was operating as designed according the rep I was speaking to. You must book all your reservation from either developer or resale points. After threatening to dump my resale contracts I convinced her otherwise....and she made my reservation pulling developer points into resale points bucket and booked what I wanted.

Interesting - it can't be done, but they can do it. Was this a regular customer service person or Owner Resolution?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if @HitchHiker71 can (via contacts at Wyndham) shed light over whether it (a) should or (b) should not be possible to combine available resale and availalbe developer points in the same UY during the Standard Reservation Period.

The written collateral seems to suggest it should be possible. But the web site implementation appears not to allow it.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting - it can't be done, but they can do it. Was this a regular customer service person or Owner Resolution?

I called this number which I have saved in my phone as "Club Wyndham VIP" : 888-884-4321

I have called this number in the past with more complicated bookings. The person on the phone today handled it all after putting me on hold, so now I have a precedent I can refer back to next time I need to book a room with points from both buckets, just will have to call. It may depend on who you get on the phone and how hard you push back on them. Most of my developer points will be spent and booked 13 months out for ARP but I'll have some lingering I'd like to use and combine with my resale contracts.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I'm wondering if @HitchHiker71 can (via contacts at Wyndham) shed light over whether it (a) should or (b) should not be possible to combine available resale and availalbe developer points in the same UY during the Standard Reservation Period.

The written collateral seems to suggest it should be possible. But the web site implementation appears not to allow it.

I've made the ask to my contacts as requested regarding borrowing from the developer points bucket when making a resale transaction within the SRP window, and if/when applicable, the ARP window. We'll see what we get back in the way of guidance. I suspect the answer will be that the statement made in the original VIP/resale announcement, screenshot below for reference, only applies within the existing club rules - which means it only applies to the ERP window - which per this thread - is already working in the online reservation system today.

1632767963028.png

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

It's possible it might be something that you have to call in to process. Another way to discourage resale ownerships bigger picture.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's possible it might be something that you have to call in to process. Another way to discourage resale ownerships bigger picture.

I wouldn’t attribute to malice that which is more easily explained by incompetence.

troy12n

Reaction score
So what it looks like is:

If you start a reservation using developer points, you can't use any resale points to finish the transaction if you are short.
- This makes sense in a strange way because the back end logic probably determines VIP privilages (or not) on the type of "bucket" which started the transation

If you start a reservation using resale points, you can use developer points to finish the transation
- VIP privilages would not attach and you would have to use a RT and HK. Which would be expected

I guess the question is, does the website support this, or do you have to call to make it happen. Furthermore, if you HAVE to call to get it to work, do they charge you an additional fee because the website doesn't let you do it?

Going to throw one more little question for you out there.

Those of you with multiple resale accounts, I realize it performs accounting on the points separately, but for the purpose of making bookings, say you have a lot of little resale accounts, does it pool them into single "retail" and "resale" buckets, or do you have to choose which contract to pull from.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
For reference my reservation was for a weekend in April 2022.

The website does not support this reservation. I had to choose either resale or developer before booking. I called Wyndham VIP to make this reservation possible and the lady on the phone quickly asked me which bucket I booked from (they must be getting a lot of these calls), and tried to convince me that I could not combined the points.

How unfortunate.

What she did was actually how they originally explained it would work: You can use VIP points to complete a resale reservation, and the VIP points wouldn't carry any benefits into the transaction, but you can't use resale to complete a VIP transaction.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I hope that the new online web site that Wyndham is writing for Worldmark does not screw with how things work now. Making Reservations online you can select your the Resort from the 90+ Worldmark Resorts. As part of this is a 4 month Booking Calendar which you can advance in 2 month jumps to see what is available by Room Type. We own both resell (WM Points) and Developer Points (WTS). If we have both available with the same expiration Date the Computer automatically draws the resell WM Points first. You can combine the different types of Points into one Reservation. But then WM is a pure Point System

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

To expand on my earlier thoughts - the incentives wouldn't really line up for the system to be intentionally set up to require calling in to book mixed point reservations as a way to discourage hybrid ownerships. Doing it for that purpose would put the disincentive of needing to call to far down the line from when an owner makes the choice to acquire a resale contract for it to have an effect on that decision; this would require them to actually discuss in a fair amount of detail how things would actually work and what the total cost of vacationing for a hybrid owner would be in the update to the program guidelines to convey to potential hybrid owners that this hiccup in the system will exist. If they were to actually detail what the total cost of vacationing would be, it would likely be more of a disincentive to sales to existing owners than an incentive to developer purchases - that sales avenue relies a lot on information asymmetry similar to used car sales.

The other issue with the misalignment of incentives is that owner resolution is pretty good about comping owners for the fees that would otherwise be charged for calling in to do things you should be able to do online but are prevented from doing by the system. They've done that for me when I've had to call in to accomplish other things the system wasn't set up to do. As a result, the operations side of Wyndham would be saddled not only with the need to make these sort of reservations over the phone, but also would not be recouping the transaction fees to do so in at least some of the cases. Bottom line, I would look at doing something like that for those reasons as being akin to cutting off you nose to spite your face. Might make the sales staff happier, but not really good for the organization.

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you start a reservation using resale points, you can use developer points to finish the transaction

No, not true for my specific case when booking online.

I started the reservation with resale points and came up short and the website asked me to rent the remainder of points to complete the reservation instead of pulling from my developer points to complete the reservation.

Only after I called, complained, then threaten to get rid of my resale contracts did the Wyndham Rep allow what I have been able to do for the last few years which is book reservations using points from both retail and developer points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drepublic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Those of you with multiple resale accounts, I realize it performs accounting on the points separately, but for the purpose of making bookings, say you have a lot of little resale accounts, does it pool them into single "retail" and "resale" buckets, or do you have to choose which contract to pull from.

I have a few resale contracts (not accounts) and two developer contracts. When I log in it tells me the total number of points I have in the resale and developer buckets and looking forward into 2022 the sum totals look correct per bucket.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, not true for my specific case when booking online.

I started the reservation with resale points and came up short and the website asked me to rent the remainder of points to complete the reservation instead of pulling from my developer points to complete the reservation.

Only after I called, complained, then threaten to get rid of my resale contracts did the Wyndham Rep allow what I have been able to do for the last few years which is book reservations using points from both retail and developer points.

In essence, it is correct that you should be able to fill in a resale points reservation with developer points. That's the policy they've stated, but they seem to be having difficulty executing that policy for online reservations. My guess about you having to make threats is that the call center reps don't understand the changes any more than most of the members, yet.

troy12n

Reaction score
I have a few resale contracts (not accounts) and two developer contracts. When I log in it tells me the total number of points I have in the resale and developer buckets and looking forward into 2022 the sum totals look correct per bucket.

When you go to book, do you just pick "developer" or "retail" or do you have to pick which specific contract to pull from. I'm really asking if it pools all your points per "type"?

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you go to book, do you just pick "developer" or "retail" or do you have to pick which specific contract to pull from. I'm really asking if it pools all your points per "type"?
You just pick developer or resale. It will pull the points from whatever contracts you have available.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what it looks like is:

If you start a reservation using developer points, you can't use any resale points to finish the transaction if you are short.
- This makes sense in a strange way because the back end logic probably determines VIP privilages (or not) on the type of "bucket" which started the transation

If you start a reservation using resale points, you can use developer points to finish the transation
- VIP privilages would not attach and you would have to use a RT and HK. Which would be expected

I guess the question is, does the website support this, or do you have to call to make it happen. Furthermore, if you HAVE to call to get it to work, do they charge you an additional fee because the website doesn't let you do it?

The website does support this. I have completed a reservation using retail, current year developer and borrowed developer from the next year. All online, no calls involved.